Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2009, 06:25 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I disagree with your statement. I was raised in Christian home, where we went to church every Sunday. The reason I got more liberal and turned off as a Christian, is due to the fact that a lot of Christians today, don't act very Christ like. They often judge people, while failing to look in the mirror at their own lives. They pick and chose what sin is okay and which one isn't, when as I learned as a child, we are all sinners and without flaws.

As a gay guy, that pass judgment on people like me and saying that I chose to be this way, when I know in my heart that I didn't choose this. They try and make my life and the life of other LGBT people a living hell just out of spite, but never focus on the issues in their own lives. That's why I get turned off by it. I see more focus on political issues like this instead of seeing more Christians out helping the poor like Jesus would have wanted. It's sad that there are millions of hungry people in the world, yet they want to focus on what a gay couple up the road is doing.
and build churches full of marble, stained glass windows, exotic wood and drink out of gold cups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Probably not....
Religion in Russia

Looks like they have about the same (if not less) percentage of Atheists/Agnostics that the US has. Marxism/Communism used Atheism as a tool of power to control the masses.... suppression of emotion and the replacement of religion with your 'glorious leader'. These things were not done in the name of Atheism, but rather Atheism was used as a means for gaining power.
just like christianity is here.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
All we tell people is what the Book says. I, personally, am very conservative and fundamentalist. I'm 17. I see more atheism and agnosticism developing every day in my immediate environment. Say it ain't so, but kids are being brought up differently today. Our society gets more liberal and progressive by the day. I just hope that we can get back on the right track, and away from killing innocent children, and marrying pairs of men and pairs of women, and calling Christmas trees by any other name.
The only reason you think society is getting "more liberal and progressive" is because you're seeing it through conservative and fundamentalist glasses. I don't think society is getting any more liberal or conservative, it's CHANGING. We don't know what it's changing into, but the abandonment of organized religion IS particularly telling. What it tells me is that religion is increasingly failing to provide answers for the world around us. Religion's history is full of power grabs, deliberate abuse, and cruelty for anyone who dares think differently. With the world getting smaller and smaller, there is no way to curtail new ways of thinking from entering one's consciousness. Your conservative and fundamentalist viewpoint will insure that you live a life in opposition to this flow of change around you.

My advice to you and anyone else is to lessen the grip your belief system has on you. Reality is changing (and will be changing) too rapidly to bother with trying to contain it with one succinct philosophy or religion. And, most importantly, your personal life experience trumps anything in a book written by people you'll never meet.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
I disagree with your statement. I was raised in Christian home, where we went to church every Sunday. The reason I got more liberal and turned off as a Christian, is due to the fact that a lot of Christians today, don't act very Christ like. They often judge people, while failing to look in the mirror at their own lives. They pick and chose what sin is okay and which one isn't, when as I learned as a child, we are all sinners and without flaws.

As a gay guy, that pass judgment on people like me and saying that I chose to be this way, when I know in my heart that I didn't choose this. They try and make my life and the life of other LGBT people a living hell just out of spite, but never focus on the issues in their own lives. That's why I get turned off by it. I see more focus on political issues like this instead of seeing more Christians out helping the poor like Jesus would have wanted. It's sad that there are millions of hungry people in the world, yet they want to focus on what a gay couple up the road is doing.
Quote:
Most volunteers were involved with either one or two organizations—69.6 and 19.3 percent,
respectively. Individuals with higher educational attainment were more likely to volunteer for multiple
organizations than were those with less education. Parents also were somewhat more likely to volunteer
for more than one organization than were persons without children under 18. (See table 3.)

In 2008, the main organization—the organization for which the volunteer worked the most hours
during the year—was most frequently religious (35.1 percent of all volunteers), followed by educational
or youth service related (26.0 percent). Another 13.5 percent of volunteers performed activities mainly
for social or community service organizations. (See table 4.)

Older volunteers were more likely to volunteer mainly for religious organizations than were their
younger counterparts. For example, 46.7 percent of volunteers age 65 and over did their service mainly
through or for a religious organization, compared with 30.8 percent of volunteers age 16 to 24.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/arch...n_01232009.pdf

Old 11-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Give it up, people. It's a lost cause.

It's like trying to converse with flat worms. Those who haven't a clue what role a belief in something higher and beyond one's own self has in that person's life are in the category of "ineducable".

Those who want to impose their "anything goes" agenda on everyone else will always be deluded into thinking that it is ____(fill in the blank)____ who are trying to impose their agenda on them when in reality it is the other way around.

<walks away shaking head>

First off just because people do not believe in your idea of GOD does not mean they believe nothing and certainly does not make them, as you put it, ineducable.

What exactly do you mean by "anything goes"? Giving all people rights and choices?

Your GOD is not the only possible perception of something beyond ones self. There are many more much more realistic ideas out there.

"It's like trying to converse with flat worms" I would have to say the same of people who ignore science in many ways and believe things like the earth being 6000 years old or some divine being in the sky created everything here in 6 days.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
All we tell people is what the Book says. I, personally, am very conservative and fundamentalist. I'm 17. I see more atheism and agnosticism developing every day in my immediate environment. Say it ain't so, but kids are being brought up differently today. Our society gets more liberal and progressive by the day. I just hope that we can get back on the right track, and away from killing innocent children, and marrying pairs of men and pairs of women, and calling Christmas trees by any other name.
</rant>

P.S.: Wow, Mithra sound a lot like Mothra. Ree! Ree!
The later is because of the former. I am a Christian. I go to church every Sunday. Religion is much more of a spiritual thing to me. Not just "what the book says." I believe in a higher power that loves EVERYONE and wouldn't want us to discriminate against a person or a group of people for something they can't help, be it the color of their skin or their sexual orientation. The more the fundamentalist Christian agenda is pushed, the more people like me are pushed away.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I agree with you on religion. It also applies to cultural collectivism where sameness is prized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The only reason you think society is getting "more liberal and progressive" is because you're seeing it through conservative and fundamentalist glasses. I don't think society is getting any more liberal or conservative, it's CHANGING. We don't know what it's changing into, but the abandonment of organized religion is particularly telling. What it tells me is that religion is increasingly failing to provide answers for the world around us. Religion's history is full of power grabs, deliberate abuse, and cruelty for anyone who dares think differently. With the world getting smaller and smaller, there is no way to curtail new ways of thinking from entering one's consciousness. Your conservative and fundamentalist viewpoint will insure that you live a life in opposition to this flow of change around you.

My advice to you and anyone else is to lessen the grip your belief system has on you. Reality is changing (and will be changing) too rapidly to bother with trying to contain it with one succinct philosophy or religion.

Your personal life experience trumps anything in a book written by people you'll never meet.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:

Amen!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
The only reason you think society is getting "more liberal and progressive" is because you're seeing it through conservative and fundamentalist glasses. I don't think society is getting any more liberal or conservative, it's CHANGING. We don't know what it's changing into, but the abandonment of organized religion IS particularly telling. What it tells me is that religion is increasingly failing to provide answers for the world around us. Religion's history is full of power grabs, deliberate abuse, and cruelty for anyone who dares think differently. With the world getting smaller and smaller, there is no way to curtail new ways of thinking from entering one's consciousness. Your conservative and fundamentalist viewpoint will insure that you live a life in opposition to this flow of change around you.

My advice to you and anyone else is to lessen the grip your belief system has on you. Reality is changing (and will be changing) too rapidly to bother with trying to contain it with one succinct philosophy or religion. And, most importantly, your personal life experience trumps anything in a book written by people you'll never meet.

Not an attack but more people have died in the name of religion than in all other wars combined. Just a interesting look behind motives IMO

Old 11-24-2009, 06:39 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
There are a lot more misanthropes and sociopaths than meets the eye. "Jesus this....Jesus that" but on the side is a big huge plate of hate and hostility for dessert.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies