Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Christmas trees have no root in Christianity. Like much of the 'Christmas' traditions, it is pagan in origin and started in Germany.

I think going back to christian fundamentalism would be the wrong track, yet you say it's the right track..interesting how that works, eh?

What about the Christian fundamentals don't you like? Or is it possible that you are confusing Christian fundamentals with Christian influence on politics? There is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Don't care. Check up Religion in the US on Wiki.

wiki is not a real source. i can go write on there that a dog had sex with a frog and thats how we got elephants

Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is that the pot calling the kettle black?

Keep the politicial legislation off the pulpit too! The recent "hate crimes" legislation attached to recently passed funding bill threatens ministers with jail who fail to actually read certain parts of the bible, which denounce sodomy and homosexuality, to their congregations.

The Constitution affirms our right to freedom of religion and not freedom from it.

source please.

freedom does include freedom from or it is not freedom

Old 11-24-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Mithra...Mithra...darn it, I swear I know that name...

I got it! Wasn't that the guy who was born of a virgin on December 25th, had 12 disciples, had communion with bread and wine, died, and had a celebration of him on the Spring Equinox?

I'm so glad the bible didn't resort to plagiarism...that would have been SO embarassing!

Frankly, I don't think losing christianity is best described by "danger", unless people view thinking on their own as an activity fraught with catastrophe.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
According to the 1990 Census it was 86%, but it decreased to 76% in 2008.

It seems like younger Americans are increasingly rebelling against religion.
It looks that way...I hope it continues. Btw, just because people are rebelling against Christianity does not mean they are rebelling against all religion.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
All we tell people is what the Book says. I, personally, am very conservative and fundamentalist. I'm 17. I see more atheism and agnosticism developing every day in my immediate environment. Say it ain't so, but kids are being brought up differently today. Our society gets more liberal and progressive by the day. I just hope that we can get back on the right track, and away from killing innocent children, and marrying pairs of men and pairs of women, and calling Christmas trees by any other name.
</rant>

P.S.: Wow, Mithra sound a lot like Mothra. Ree! Ree!

the x-mas tree has nothing to do with your idea of the holiday. Read up.

if you want to stop killing children than protest war.

What precisely is your issue with same sex couples??

Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Funny how what 4 religions prior to christianity had basically the same exact story huh?

organized religion is mind control and fear.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What about the Christian fundamentals don't you like? Or is it possible that you are confusing Christian fundamentals with Christian influence on politics? There is a difference.

i propose:

[SIZE=-1]Christian fundamentalists interpret the Bible as the inerrant, factual, and literal word of God. Though each of these terms can be argued as to what exactly the terms mean, it is in any case clear that fundamentalism rejects any modernist critical interpretation of the Bible. They reject most modern scientific findings in biology and geology, or at least greatly reinterpret them to "fit" their view of the Bible. Most believe, for example, that the world was created in seven 24 hour days simply because that is what the Genesis account says. Most fundamentalist also believe that the earth (and the universe) is no more than a few (less than ten) thousand years old based on the genealogies in the Bible. Any findings by science that seem to refute this argument are simply discarded and seen to be "obviously wrong" since it disagrees with the Bible. In other words, "if it disagrees with the Bible (the fundamentalist view of the Bible), then it is wrong and probably straight from Satan." It must be stated for the record that there are differing levels or versions of fundamentalist belief. Some fundamentalists, for example, believe that the Genesis account allows for so the called "day - age" interpretation, in which the days of creation are actually unknown periods of time. Even such "liberal" fundamentalists, however, believe that everything written about in the Bible is an accurate reporting of actual historical events.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]This "literal" interpretation of the Bible is very dear to fundamentalist to the extent that most believe that anyone who does not accept this "literal" interpretation are not true Christians. Many "hard core" fundamentalist even believe that anyone who does not use the King James (1611) version of the Bible is destined for Hell.

Jerry Seay
[/SIZE]

Old 11-24-2009, 12:11 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
All we tell people is what the Book says. I, personally, am very conservative and fundamentalist. I'm 17. I see more atheism and agnosticism developing every day in my immediate environment. Say it ain't so, but kids are being brought up differently today. Our society gets more liberal and progressive by the day. I just hope that we can get back on the right track, and away from killing innocent children, and marrying pairs of men and pairs of women, and calling Christmas trees by any other name.
</rant>

P.S.: Wow, Mithra sound a lot like Mothra. Ree! Ree!
Whoa...
You're 17 and say that kids are being brought up differently today.
Too funny.

I'm old, Our society gets more conservative and wackaloon every day from my POV.
Who's killing children? Oh, the US in the middle east wars. Yeah, I get that.

You are woefully uninformed about life, and certainly about religion.
All xian holidays were stolen from those that came before them.

You might want to read about Mithra, as rayneinspain noted, your Jesus was plagiarized from Mithra.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Whoa...
You're 17 and say that kids are being brought up differently today.
Too funny.

I'm old, Our society gets more conservative and wackaloon every day from my POV.
Who's killing children? Oh, the US in the middle east wars. Yeah, I get that.

You are woefully uninformed about life, and certainly about religion.
All xian holidays were stolen from those that came before them.

You might want to read about Mithra, as rayneinspain noted, your Jesus was plagiarized from Mithra.
Well said.

At least the Easter traditions are safe for the Christians...um...can someone remind me which biblical passage talks about the bunnies and the colored eggs?

:::rifles through grandmother's bible:::

...I know it's here...Mark, maybe?

:::gets nudged by poster...who then whispers in ear:::

Who's Ēostre???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies