Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,289,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ya, maybe so...

The Iraq Resolution or the Iraq War Resolution (formally the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 [1], Pub.L. 107-243, 116 Stat. 1498, enacted October 16, 2002, H.J.Res. 114) is a joint resolution (i.e., a law) passed by the United States Congress in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing the Iraq War.
That's SO weird, because if Congress "Declared War", it makes one wonder why Ron Paul was asking Congress to "Declare War" a year later...

Paul Calls for Congressional Declaration of War against Iraq (http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2002/pr100402.htm - broken link)

What's cool is that if you actually READ the link (inconvenient to your argument, so I'm guessing you won't) you'll also see the difference between WWII and Iraq in the last paragraph....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Sh*t, or get off the pot!
And believe it or not. I do actually agree with what you're saying here. We need to commit to winning or leave.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,845,068 times
Quote:
Ya, maybe so...

The Iraq Resolution or the Iraq War Resolution (formally the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002 [1], Pub.L. 107-243, 116 Stat. 1498, enacted October 16, 2002, H.J.Res. 114) is a joint resolution (i.e., a law) passed by the United States Congress in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing the Iraq War.
The U.S. has made 5 "Declaration of War".
War of 1812
Mexican/American War
Spanish/American War
World War I
World War II

I wasn't alive for any of them. I was alive and in Vietnam. I fully understand what War is like and am appreciative of this President getting the objectives and plans clear. I know what it is like when that is not done.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,586,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
That's SO weird, because if Congress "Declared War", it makes one wonder why Ron Paul was asking Congress to "Declare War" a year later...

Paul Calls for Congressional Declaration of War against Iraq (http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2002/pr100402.htm - broken link)

What's cool is that if you actually READ the link (inconvenient to your argument, so I'm guessing you won't) you'll also see the difference between WWII and Iraq in the last paragraph....
A year later? This was just months before. It's not dated to show the push Ron made before we went.

Paul Calls for Congressional Declaration of War with Iraq
Washington, DC: Congressman Ron Paul, insisting that the House International Relations committee follow constitutional principles, yesterday introduced a formal congressional declaration of war with Iraq. The language of the declaration was very clear: "A state of war is declared to exist between the United States and the government of Iraq."
"I don’t believe in resolutions that cite the UN as authority for our military actions," Paul stated yesterday after a committee hearing. "America has a sovereign right to defend itself, and we don’t need UN permission or approval to act in the interests of American national security. The decision to go to war should be made by the U.S. Congress alone. Congress should give the President full warmaking authority, rather than binding him with resolutions designed to please our UN detractors."
"Sadly, the leadership of both parties on the International Relations committee fails to understand that the Constitution requires a congressional declaration of war before our troops are sent into battle," Paul continued. "One Republican member stated that the constitutional requirement that Congress declare war is an anachronism and should no longer be followed," while a Democratic member said that a declaration of war would be ‘frivolous.’ I don’t think most Americans believe our Constitution is outdated or frivolous, and they expect Congress to follow it."

"When Congress issued clear declarations of war against Japan and Germany during World War II, the nation was committed and victory was achieved," Paul concluded. "When Congress shirks its duty and avoids declaring war, as with Korea, and Vietnam, the nation is less committed and the goals are less clear. No lives should be lost in Iraq unless Congress expresses the clear will of the American people and votes yes or no on a declaration of war."

and Congress did sign, or they would have not even been involved in signing anything. It would have been another military action.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:57 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
February 28, 2002
Before We Bomb Iraq

By Rep. Ron Paul

Let it be clearly understood- there is no authority to wage war against Iraq without Congress passing a Declaration of War. HJ RES 65, passed in the aftermath of 9/11, does not even suggest that this authority exists. A UN Resolution authorizing an invasion of Iraq, even if it were to come, cannot replace the legal process for the United States going to war as precisely defined in the Constitution. We must remember that a covert war is no more justifiable, and is even more reprehensible.

Only tyrants can take a nation to war without the consent of the people. The planned war against Iraq without a Declaration of War is illegal. It is unwise because of many unforeseen consequences that are likely to result. It is immoral and unjust, because it has nothing to do with US security and because Iraq has not initiated aggression against us.

We must understand that the American people become less secure when we risk a major conflict driven by commercial interests and not constitutionally authorized by Congress. Victory under these circumstances is always elusive, and unintended consequences are inevitable.

Ron Paul, M.D., represents the 14th Congressional District of Texas in the United States House of Representatives.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
A year later? This was just months before. It's not dated to show the push Ron made before we went.

Paul Calls for Congressional Declaration of War with Iraq
Washington, DC: Congressman Ron Paul, insisting that the House International Relations committee follow constitutional principles, yesterday introduced a formal congressional declaration of war with Iraq. The language of the declaration was very clear: "A state of war is declared to exist between the United States and the government of Iraq."
"I don’t believe in resolutions that cite the UN as authority for our military actions," Paul stated yesterday after a committee hearing. "America has a sovereign right to defend itself, and we don’t need UN permission or approval to act in the interests of American national security. The decision to go to war should be made by the U.S. Congress alone. Congress should give the President full warmaking authority, rather than binding him with resolutions designed to please our UN detractors."
"Sadly, the leadership of both parties on the International Relations committee fails to understand that the Constitution requires a congressional declaration of war before our troops are sent into battle," Paul continued. "One Republican member stated that the constitutional requirement that Congress declare war is an anachronism and should no longer be followed," while a Democratic member said that a declaration of war would be ‘frivolous.’ I don’t think most Americans believe our Constitution is outdated or frivolous, and they expect Congress to follow it."
"When Congress issued clear declarations of war against Japan and Germany during World War II, the nation was committed and victory was achieved," Paul concluded. "When Congress shirks its duty and avoids declaring war, as with Korea, and Vietnam, the nation is less committed and the goals are less clear. No lives should be lost in Iraq unless Congress expresses the clear will of the American people and votes yes or no on a declaration of war."

and Congress did sign, or they would have not even been involved in signing anything. It would have been another military action.
Well, this is a feeling he espoused both before and after... Either way, he voted against the resolution you are citing for this reason.

It isn't a formal Declaration of War...

Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
February 28, 2002
Before We Bomb Iraq

By Rep. Ron Paul

The Iraq War Resolution which was passed on October 10, 2002, Pub.L. 107-243, 116 Stat. 1498, enacted October 16, 2002, H.J.Res. 114) is a joint resolution (i.e., a law) passed by the United States Congress in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing the Iraq War.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,580,874 times
Quote:
The Iraq War Resolution which was passed on October 10, 2002, Pub.L. 107-243, 116 Stat. 1498, enacted October 16, 2002, H.J.Res. 114) is a joint resolution (i.e., a law) passed by the United States Congress in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing the Iraq War.

The resolution authorized the president to enforce the UN sanctions by means he deemed necessary. It didn't force his hand in any way. The UN insectors reported there were no WMDs. Our allies advised against war. CIA intelligence that didn't support Bush's contention about WMDs was ignored. Bush was truly the "decider" on this (or maybe it was Cheney) and the ensuing FUBAR will forever be known as his issue.

Just like Vietnam will always be seen as LBJ's war.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You can quote Wikipedia all you want. It authorized the President to use military force IF NECESSARY...

You can call it a "War" all you'd like... Congress didn't "Declare War"...

Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Well, this is a feeling he espoused both before and after... Either way, he voted against the resolution you are citing for this reason.

It isn't a formal Declaration of War...

This is why...

Quote:
The planned war against Iraq without a Declaration of War is illegal.

Did you even scan over Public Law No: 107-243
Lets go back to the War Powers Act, that was signed after Vietnam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies