Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 09:41 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I dont think men like him are the ones driving this number. We all know who is. Cousin bubu and his gang. Making kids, dropping out, smoking weed and doing cocaine. These are the guys causing this problem. Thier COOL man. Some are to cool to do the menial work they are first qualified for. They have no concept of being the bread winner or someone who can be depended on. Yet they are accepted for what they are when they should be made to feel ashame.
If that is what you really think, explain this: My father has a masters degree in engineering. He is very good at what he does and had about 20 years of experience. He is the one behind a computer screen designing the parts to things like motorcycles, helicopters, aeroplanes, and other stuff. By the time 1999 came along. Boom, he gets laid off. He spent a year looking for a job in his field. He couldn't get one for a while. How do you explain that?
Even better, how do you explain a college student getting told "we're not hiring right now" at least 100 times? Please explain that to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:59 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
A lot of this is due to the fact that many of them have criminal records, and no education. Don't committ crimes and go to school and I bet the rate drops dramatically!
So other words many of them are uneducated criminals...well thanks for not stereotyping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I am sure there is racism BUT I feel like a lot of African Americans have very poor work ethics. I remember like last month, I was the Minneapolis International airport and one of the security guards, a Black gentleman had fallen asleep in his chair, I thought that was very unprofessional and irresponsible. The whole Black attitude works against them, like wearing certain clothes, walking a certain way, heck, I have seen black kids come to job interviews with do rags on their heads and pants falling off their butts. I don't see why a Black man who is educated, presents himself in a professional and respectful manner and speaks good English would not be able to find a good job!
and I feel that's just a stupid comment. A lot of people have poor work ethics regardless of race. I worked in a call center for several years and I saw kids of all races come in with inappropriately dressed for an interview. What the hell is a black attitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
That has a TON to do with it. Talking ghetto, dressing ghetto...makes you ghetto. The black dude who is educated, dresses nice and talks with proper english will have zero issues landing a job. Problem is, seems they are few and far in between, atleast where I'm from, thus the rest are unemployed welfare roaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I think you were --fortunate--to even have a father around.

That ,also,seperates you from many other blacks
separates.

This is as far as I got before my head exploded from reading such utter nonsense. I wonder if maybe I grew up in some foreign land of black people because the majority of the people I know don't ever fit into the pretty little black box that people try to push us in....I hope none of you ever say these comments out loud or if you do I hope you say them in the presence of people who share these same sentiments.

I don't get the constant need for a black thread. Make a black friend and call it a day...no guess it would be hard to do that since all the black people are either in jail or strung out somewhere...the ones that actually work for a living aren't really black...they're just dark-skinned white people.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Even better, how do you explain a college student getting told "we're not hiring right now" at least 100 times? Please explain that to me.
Uhhh, take a look around at the economy.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
the problem is that people start blaming each other when they don't / can't get jobs. the simple fact is that we have an OVERSUPPLY of labor, with a huge influx in illegal immigrants in the last few years, and no one who is willing to address that issue in either party.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
If that is what you really think, explain this: My father has a masters degree in engineering. He is very good at what he does and had about 20 years of experience. He is the one behind a computer screen designing the parts to things like motorcycles, helicopters, aeroplanes, and other stuff. By the time 1999 came along. Boom, he gets laid off. He spent a year looking for a job in his field. He couldn't get one for a while. How do you explain that?
I will direct you to the Washington Post which ran a story a bit more than a week ago about a nice, white blond girl who graduated Summa from GWU and is living at home because she cannot get a job.

I would cite myself who earned an MBA back in the 90s and eventually had to relocate to find decent work. I did not wimper about it. I just did what was necessary.

I would note that your father did have a job to lose which casts doubt on your racial whining. Why would he have been hired in the first place if things are as you claim?

Your father sounds like an uncle of mine who has lost jobs due to nothing more than age discrimination- how old is your father? Not saying its right, but its there.

Not hiring college students? The economy has been in the crapper. Grow up already.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:20 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I will direct you to the Washington Post which ran a story a bit more than a week ago about a nice, white blond girl who graduated Summa from GWU and is living at home because she cannot get a job.
I would cite myself who earned an MBA back in the 90s and eventually had to relocate to find decent work. I did not wimper about it. I just did what was necessary.

I would note that your father did have a job to lose which casts doubt on your racial whining. Why would he have been hired in the first place if things are as you claim?

Your father sounds like an uncle of mine who has lost jobs due to nothing more than age discrimination- how old is your father? Not saying its right, but its there.

Not hiring college students? The economy has been in the crapper. Grow up already
I didn't say there weren't White people with college degrees who can't find jobs. I know that to be true because a friend of mine graduated from college in 2007, got a job, then got laid off a year later. He has been unemployed since. I brought up what I said because this thread is about unemployment among African-Americans.

My father was in his early 40's when he was laid off. I doubt age was the issue. He has been an engineer since he was in his early 20's.

As for the economy being in the crap, I am sadly aware of that. Still, a person has to do something.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 PM

873 posts, read 1,804,492 times
There is a certain percentage - I don't know what it is - that wouldn't work even if they were offered a job.

Others are "unemployable" because they can't / won't speak English. (I had a call yesterday to inquire if I was hiring. When the caller started the conversation with "who dis is?", I told him NO!)

A friend of mine owns a construction company. He had to tell one prospective employee that to work for him, he'd need 3 hands. When asked what he meant, my friend told him he'd need 2 hands to work and one to hold his pants up!

But many of you just want to try and make it a race issue, even when it's not!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
When the leading cause of thier death is murder that says alot.Also the fact that black females have caught up and surpassed black males in both education and achievement.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Its much easier to rob the 7/11 than get a job

Old 12-01-2009, 07:49 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Dont you think white engineers are having a rough time to. You say a year is he employed now? What are saying? Your Father is not who I am talking about. come on the post is simple. The guys who live that way are the ones who drive that number. Not your Father. I hope he is doing well now but he is not who Im talking about. I made it clear who I was refering to and believe me a Masters degree in nothing is in thier future. Do you deny that my post is correct. The college student will eventually get a job or even start thier own business. These guys will do nothing but become burdens on thier families. I hope you are lucky enough not to have anyone like that around you but for the people that do they know what im talking about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies