Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red rose View Post
Is there really any point in debating this with someone who doesn't even know what a naturalized citizen is?

true!!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that I offended you.

My point was that, in order to debate something, you have to know the definitions of the words used.

A naturalized citizen is someone who gets citizenship after birth; someone who isn't born a citizen under the 14th amendment.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86759.pdf
* Naturalization of an individual adult is when a foreigner immigrates to the US, applies for citizenship, passes a citizenship test, and swears an oath to become a US citizen.
*Derivative naturalization happened in the past when a man became naturalized, and then by law his wife and minor children automatically also became naturalized citizens.
*Collective naturalization happened when new states/territories were admitted to the US, and the citizens of that state became new US citizens.
*Expeditious naturalization can happen when someone marries a US citizen living and working overseas, and they don't have to follow the usual rules for naturalization of an individual adult.
*"Automatic" naturalization happens when the parent or parents are US citizens and the child is born out of the US.

So are you a "naturalized" citizen?

*A native born citizen is a citizen because they were born in the US, no matter what the citizenship of their parents were. All children born
in and subject, at the time of birth, to the jurisdiction of the United States acquire U.S. citizenship at birth according to the 14th amendment.

Or are you a "native born" citizen?

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing, I was just rather frustrated that a person didn't know what "naturalized" meant, and was using it incorrectly.
I too used the word Nautalized, I meant to say, native born..Most of us do know the difference...

Nita

Old 12-06-2009, 06:11 PM

122 posts, read 104,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Lastly, I'm not sure if a child born in Washington, D.C. of U.S citizens would be a natural born U.S. citizen - especially if the birth occurred in one of the 174 foreign embassies located in that U.S. federal district.

"Article One of the United States Constitution provides for a federal district, distinct from the states, to serve as the permanent national capital."

Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Washington, D.C. is a confusing case.

If I understand it correctly, D.C. is 'considered' an incorporated territory of the US now; people born there are considered citizens under the 14th amendment, and they can vote in Presidential elections. Incorporated territories are considered US soil. Legally, I'm not sure what exactly it is, since its existence is due to the Constitution.

In an unincorporated territory, it is not considered US soil, people born there are not citizens at birth by the 14th amendment, and cannot vote in Presidential elections. (Puerto Rico is a special case here, apparently. US CODE: Title 8,1402. Persons born in Puerto Rico on or after April 11, 1899 They are citizens at birth by statute, but can't vote in a presidential election in Puerto Rico, but can go to a state and vote there because they are citizens. Virgin Islands, too. Confusing.)

Since McCain was born in Panama when it was an unincorporated territory, he wasn't a citizen under the 14th amendment (by not being born on US soil) so he misses out on being a natural born citizen. He is still a citizen by statute (naturalized at birth) because his parents were US citizens.

When someone is born outside of the US, citizenship issues can get pretty complicated. I hope I got all that right...

Old 12-08-2009, 04:02 PM

36 posts, read 50,091 times
Ms Rose, you posted it yourself:

Quote:
The two types of citizens in the US are Native born and Naturalized.
There are only two types of citizen recognized by the State Department and the United States. Simple logic tells you that if you are not a naturalized citizen, you are a natural-born citizen.

It's binary. One or the other.

And yes, "native born" does equal "natural born". The terms are interchangeable.

edited to add:
Good, reliable, sourced information can be found at obamaconspiracy.org.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 PM

36 posts, read 50,091 times
Quote:
Washington, D.C. is a confusing case.

If I understand it correctly, D.C. is 'considered' an incorporated territory of the US now; people born there are considered citizens under the 14th amendment, and they can vote in Presidential elections. Incorporated territories are considered US soil. Legally, I'm not sure what exactly it is, since its existence is due to the Constitution.
Al Gore was born in Washington, D.C. Not one peep while he was Vice President or when he was running for President. So I would say that Yes, being born in Washington, D.C. does make one eligible for the office of the President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies