Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:40 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times

Advertisements

But I support Obama. I don't have a Confederate flag but flying the flag some time in the future is not beyond me.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
There are pictures online of black people holding the Confederate flag. What's your explanation for that?
This is an argument some whites have made that has always bothered me. The whole "well he's black and he doesn't see a problem so therefore it is correct". Like us blacks all have a homogeneous mindset. If a white person came out and said that whites were all racist, couldn't cook, unathletic, blah blah blah someting tells me that all of a sudden that same logic wouldn't apply.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I never said the CSA committed treason, because thats technically what the USA committed. Anyways, we'll never agree on the subject, so we'll leave it at that.
Good to talk to you again!
Fair enough, Steve. You are a worthy opponent, and I appreciate and respect it...even though we disagree!

Old 11-26-2009, 05:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
Hello TexasReb, nice to talk to you, before I go I must say I have used some of the examples in your arguments in the past in an informative speech about the flag I did at my college a few months back, and believe me they worked.

My opinion of the flag is as solid and similar as yours, but I see it also as that the flag has no *Universal* meaning, it's just the person(s) views behind it. Hence why you and I see it as pride in the south and it's history and others as hate and ignorance.
Thanks Desert Kid. You are correct. ANY symbol -- whether it is the Christian Cross, the Confederate Battle Flag, or the United States Flag...ad infinitum....means different things to different people.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:59 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Isn't that flag a symbol of Hate and Opression? People: We have a Black President now! Thank God, I did not move to SE Arizona, with mentalities like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, it is to some people, it is all about perception. And by your logic shouldn't we get rid of "Black Power" and African heritage flags for the shear fact they are not quite needed anymore because of said black president?

And you don't have to find that mentality just here in Arizona, you can find it in rural Maine or New Jersey or your beloved New York, it's an American phenomenon not a regional one.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:09 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Yes, it is to some people, it is all about perception. And by your logic shouldn't we get rid of "Black Power" and African heritage flags for the shear fact they are not quite needed anymore because of said black president?

And you don't have to find that mentality just here in Arizona, you can find it in rural Maine or New Jersey or your beloved New York, it's an American phenomenon not a regional one.
I would never fly one of those flags because I dont believe in racial bias period. Black or White.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:19 PM

I actually live in former Confederate territory in AZ. I live well within the red line. I also had a good time conversing with SCV members here at a county fair, bought 1 flag and took several pamphlets. Nice folks.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:22 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
So you are saying that anyone that flies the flag couldn't have possibly voted for Obama, correct?

Should I also feel you are a racist if you have a shirt or bumper sticker with a black fist on it?

Guess the guy in this picture is a racist.

Wonder why a racist would vote for Obama?
OK so if I show up at the office party in full black panther garb should I not be viewed as racist

Old 11-26-2009, 07:23 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
I actually live in former Confederate territory in AZ. I live well within the red line. I also had a good time conversing with SCV members here at a county fair, bought 1 flag and took several pamphlets. Nice folks.
I live in former Confederate Territory too. Mesilla (the next town over) was the capital of the Confederate territory.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I live in former Confederate Territory too. Mesilla (the next town over) was the capital of the Confederate territory.
I knew that, what I didn't know is that there was an actual battle near Silver City between Confederates and Apaches in Pinos Altos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies