Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
DUH! You got to be kidding! My history teacher said that those who try to "legitimatize" the confederate flag are obsessed with changing history.

Your "teacher" is wrong

Old 12-09-2009, 10:32 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
DUH! You got to be kidding! My history teacher said that those who try to "legitimatize" the confederate flag are obsessed with changing history.
You need to learn that your teacher is not always right.

There are a few teachers that post on these boards that have been shown to be wrong many times.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Even though I would think that the Confederate Flag was seen as a sign of Slavery and Racism in 1980 by a fair amount of people, I would say the extreme scapegoat against it as of recently has been due to this. The irony being that the increase of racism hasn't really occurred in places that are historically associated with that flag.

Makes you wonder.
Doesn't make me wonder.

Racism and bigotry are based mostly on ignorance and fear.

Blacks were a well known factor across the south, and a rarity in most parts of the North.

A farmer who lived in Upsdate NY who didn't travel much farther than town would likely never see a black person in the flesh during his entire lifetime.

People in the south were much more likely to deal with blacks on a daily basis, freedmen or slaves. Black people were simply a known quality.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And your teacher can't be wrong and/or is merely teaching what revised histroy he/she has been taught.

Gotcha.

BTW, are you ever going to supply that link to "Confederates being tossed out of a Pheonix park" or whatever, or shoudl we all just assume you are lying.
That would be my guess, after a post of mine got deleted with "orphaned" being the reason....

Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
He probably isn't aware of it because it isn't true... Lincoln went to war to preserve the Union, PERIOD. Ending slavery had ZERO to do with WHY the war was fought...
Yes, lets all make up history as we go alone!

Well, as I told hotsyr, 99.999% of Academia, the the majority of Americans believe and are aware that SLAVERY was the primary motivator behind the war.

If you want to join the .0001% that believe its not, its your choice, but dont expect anyone else to believe it. The same goes for flying saucers, the world being flat, and witchcraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsyr
You haven't read anything provided to you throughout this thread?
Do you? Apparently you and a few others have been making baseless statements and citing opinion and revisionist blog sites as basis. I dont think that qualifies as 'academia'.

Myself and cpterps own links have invalidated every statement you have tried to make

Quote:
hy don't you actually read my posts? I clearly said that MD, DE, and NJ had slaves (in NJ's case as "permanent apprentices"). I also conceded that it was partly because of economic reasons why the North gave up slavery. However, morality obviously played a part or why the hell would the North care if it was legal or not otherwise, and then force abolition upon the South?

I don't know what historical fact BS you're talking about, since you're the one who makes it seem slavery was spread evenly through the North and South.

Slaves in each state in 1860

South/Confederacy:

Alabama - 435,080
Arkansas - 111,115
Florida - 61,745
Georgia - 462,198
Louisiana - 331,726
Mississippi - 436,631
Missouri - 114,931
North Carolina - 331,059
South Carolina - 402,406
Tennessee - 275,719
Texas - 182,566
Virginia - 490,865

North/Union:

None in every state except-
Kansas - 2
Kentucky - 225,483 (Kentucky was claimed by the Confederacy)
Maryland - 87,189 (border state)
New Jersey - 18
Delaware - 1,798 (border state)

Nebraska - 15 (Neutral)
So lets see, you claim the north had more slaves = Proven False
You claim the south did not rape murder and torture slaves = Proven False
You claim the war was not primarily over slavery = already known false, but proven again false

Dude, you are losing legs to stand on here with you arguments. As Said to Rhett, if you want to make up history and ignore acknowledged and proven academia, fine, but dont expect other people to believe in you.

You will have the same results getting us all to believe in witchcraft and space aliens and crystal balls that tell the future!

Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
Pay attention to real world events and realize that the confederate flag is condemned in America:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmgXDH_NYjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_lyO-PxLY4&feature=fvw

Old 12-09-2009, 12:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Pay attention to real world events and realize that the confederate flag is condemned in America:
By a few, unknowledgeable people. Just like the United States Flag is condemned in this country by a few ignorant people.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Yes, lets all make up history as we go alone!

Well, as I told hotsyr, 99.999% of Academia, the the majority of Americans believe and are aware that SLAVERY was the primary motivator behind the war.

If you want to join the .0001% that believe its not, its your choice, but dont expect anyone else to believe it. The same goes for flying saucers, the world being flat, and witchcraft.
Hang on there ace. YOU said that "The war was fought to end slavery". You didn't say, "The war was fought over the issue of slavery.", or that "SLAVERY was the primary motivator behind the war."

Say what you mean. Mean what you say. Your quote that I refuted was plain-a$$ed WRONG.

You show me something ANYWHERE from 1860-1861 in which Lincoln states that he went to war to end slavery and I'll admit you're right and exit this thread forthright....

Fact is that Lincoln did NOT go to war to end slavery.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Firstly, I made no atempt to claim slavery was spread evenly. It is you who are attempting to claims there were no slaves in the north.

Also, please source your statistics, they are wrong. I have seen the NYC tax rolls with my very own eyes, and there were much more than "2" in Kentucky.
Wow, someone really has a problem reading. For once, just once, can you actually go through an entire post and read all of it, instead of twisiting words and putting words in my mouth. Where did I say there were no slaves in the North? I specifically said that there were slaves in the North at least 3 different times! Good for you and your "NYC tax rolls" . There were 2 slaves in Kansas, not Kentucky.

As for my source, how about census data from the University of Virginia Library (University of Virginia Library), and while I hate the Cavs', I doubt the state that had the most slaves would try to bullsh*t the numbers of slaves up North.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,292,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
As Said to Rhett, if you want to make up history and ignore acknowledged and proven academia, fine, but dont expect other people to believe in you.
If you'd like to retract your statement that I refuted and re-word it then maybe some here would believe you.

Even those that HATE the Confederate flag in this thread would admit your statement was false if they had any shred of education on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies