U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM

6,046 posts, read 6,287,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Why do you need a flag for southern pride? Why not just have American pride? It in itself represents all parts of the country and all the history that has occurred under it
That's like saying why have a state flag when an American flag represents every state. Southerners are proud Americans, but they're proud Southerners too.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Status: " On and off line interchangeably" (set 10 days ago)

9,823 posts, read 11,338,465 times
Quote:
Why do you need a flag for southern pride? Why not just have American pride? It in itself represents all parts of the country and all the history that has occurred under it
On the other hand -- and I know you are a reasonable and intelligent person, Billiam -- why should one exclude the other? We are a nation of individual and soveriegn states, and different regions, each with its own history and character.

The same argument you seem to be making could be used to cease flying state flags. I am proud to be a Texan, Southerner, AND American. Because I display the Lone Star Flag and Confederate Flag in no way diminishes my affection for Old Glory and all it stands for!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:37 AM

4,386 posts, read 11,654,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
That's like saying why have a state flag when an American flag represents every state. Southerners are proud Americans, but they're proud Southerners too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
On the other hand -- and I know you are a reasonable and intelligent person, Billiam -- why should one exclude the other? We are a nation of individual and soveriegn states, and different regions, each with its own history and character.

The same argument you seem to be making could be used to cease flying state flags. I am proud to be a Texan, Southerner, AND American. Because I display the Lone Star Flag and Confederate Flag in no way diminishes my affection for Old Glory and all it stands for!
ok, you guys are right. Its just the Confederate States of America don't exist anymore. i just don't see a point of keeping a flag that represents a non-existent state. But, you guys are right, i wasn't thinking of all factors

Old 11-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
ok, you guys are right. Its just the Confederate States of America don't exist anymore. i just don't see a point of keeping a flag that represents a non-existent state. But, you guys are right, i wasn't thinking of all factors
I was going to say (earlier) that the Republic of Texas doesn't exist anymore, either. But I still have feelings for the original flag of the same.

As it is, you ammended your position...and I respect you for it. Thank you, sir! You got a rep coming for your courage in being willing to think it out from all angles.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:47 AM

4,386 posts, read 11,654,945 times
^ You're too kind haha

Old 11-27-2009, 12:24 PM

848 posts, read 1,242,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
I'm new here, but have been lurking for years now and finally decided to join. Anywho being a decendent of Robert E. Lee I always had a positive opinion of the south and Confederate flag. Now with alot of recent events (Ole Miss klan protest on the 21st) making the flag look as bad as it has in the past I just don't know what to think of it.

However seeing alot of hate towards both I just get stuck in mental ruts in what to think of it. And sometimes have trying periods that try to make sense of it all. Heck just a quick search on the web you can find the most vile and hateful things about the south and everything related.

I've never really been to the south before (unless you count East Texas) but I would really like to see it one day. But I have met countless people from there and I thought they were spectacular.
I will give my opinion of the Confederate flag, but first I want to speak of the KKK rally on the Ole Miss campus. It bothers me that the rest of the nation may see this as another "Oh, Mississippi is racist and backward" moment.

In actuality, 11 members of the KKK showed up to protest the removal of "From Dixie with Love" from the band set list. They were met by 300 student protesters, many of which were wearing t-shirts that read "Turn your back on hate".

The KKK recieved no support and the planned hour-long protest lasted 10 minutes. Why were they allowed on campus? University of Mississippi is a public institution, and like it or not, even the KKK has freedom of speech and the right to assemble peacefully.

As for the flag, I don't view it as a symbol of hate but I can see where others may. I wonder if Native Americans view the US flag as a symbol of hate or oppression?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post

In actuality, 11 members of the KKK showed up to protest the removal of "From Dixie with Love" from the band set list. They were met by 300 student protesters, many of which were wearing t-shirts that read "Turn your back on hate".
This isn't related to the cone-heads or student protestors, but that "From Dixie with Love" has been removed from the Ol' Miss Band playlist is a new one to me! Can you provide more info on it? (I can DM you if you like). I can't imagine why ANYONE would think that blend of Dixie and the Battle Hymn of the Republic would be offensive to ANYBODY...

I mean, it combines a well-played and emotional rendition of the songs most associated with both South and North.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnZhEHQYVUw

Old 11-27-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
This isn't related to the cone-heads or student protestors, but that "From Dixie with Love" has been removed from the Ol' Miss Band playlist is a new one to me! Can you provide more info on it? (I can DM you if you like). I can't imagine why ANYONE would think that blend of Dixie and the Battle Hymn of the Republic would be offensive to ANYBODY...

I mean, it combines a well-played and emotional rendition of the songs most associated with both South and North.

Ku Klux Klan plans rally at Ole Miss to stand for Rebel fight song» The Commercial Appeal

Old 11-27-2009, 12:56 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,017,099 times
Quote:

It seems that the college officials don't want to offend who they percieve will be offended, which is kinda stupid because if it has been around for so long that means very few if any people were offended.

ugh, P.C. is so stupid.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:26 PM

I think it has more to do with a few fans who were saying "The South will rise again" at the end of the song. That phrase is not part of the song and the University does not want to put forth the image that it advocates a return to segregation.

A quote from Chancellor Dan Jones. This is his first year at Ole Miss.

"Here at the University of Mississippi, there must be no doubt that this is a warm and welcoming place for all," Jones wrote in a letter to the Ole Miss community. "We cannot even appear to support those outside our community who advocate a revival of segregation. We cannot fail to respond."

Ole Miss has students from 67 foreign countries... all people are welcome and I think the chancellor is over-reacting a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies