Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 08:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama and his team have had 10 months to prepare for this flu season. meanwhile, he declared a national emergency with no vaccine to be found.
Read something sometime. When was the H1N1 virus isolated and ready to go into vaccine production? How long does it take to culture an H1N1 vaccine in comparison to culturing a standard seasonal flu vaccine? The state of emergency is what allows hospitals and others to prepare for handling a large cohort of H1N1 patients effectively and efficiently. What is it that you fail to understand about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 08:24 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I agree with you almost completely. I don't, however, share your appreciation of Congress as much. I am thankful that they are taking the desperately needed steps on Healthcare, but feel their motivations are political. If the WH were Republican, I don't think they would be championing the reform process. But, no matter the reason, I am glad they are. Glad, not for me, but for my daughter and grandchildren.
You are glad for your daughter and grandchildren? for what? That they will have to pay a bill that they won't be able to pay? Glad that every family's personal debt will be $54,000?

Glad that we are going to spend way over $900 Billion to insure only a small fraction of our uninsured, leaving 35 million still without coverage? Glad that premiums and costs of care, along with taxes on everything, will go up for everybody just to cover some 12 million people? Couldn't we have covered all 47 million of them for a bit less?

Glad that our total unfunded liabilities are pushing $105 Trillion? Glad that even the director of the CBO (the country's accountant) says that is not sustainable?

Glad that only a small piece of the stimulus money has been used, and the rest is being saved for a big push just before the 2010 election? It's been put ON HOLD while people are scrambling to survive so that our career politicians can take care of their job survival instead. I hope people don't have short memories and that they will remember that Obama and the Democrats intentionally sat on money that could have provided jobs NOW, when they are so desperately needed.

Where's that icon for "shakes head in disbelief.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The CBO told us in Jan 2009 that the recession would end late 2009/early 2010 WITHOUT government intervention (stimulus).
Oh, that's a good one. Can you tell us the level those CBO projections placed on peak unemployment during 2009 without the stimulus package? Because you know, that would be a really interesting number to look at...

Old 11-27-2009, 08:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You are glad for your daughter and grandchildren? for what? That they will have to pay a bill that they won't be able to pay? Glad that every family's personal debt will be $54,000?

Glad that we are going to spend way over $900 Billion to insure only a small fraction of our uninsured, leaving 35 million still without coverage? Glad that premiums and costs of care, along with taxes on everything, will go up for everybody just to cover some 12 million people? Couldn't we have covered all 47 million of them for a bit less?

Glad that our total unfunded liabilities are pushing $105 Trillion? Glad that even the director of the CBO (the country's accountant) says that is not sustainable?

Glad that only a small piece of the stimulus money has been used, and the rest is being saved for a big push just before the 2010 election? It's been put ON HOLD while people are scrambling to survive so that our career politicians can take care of their job survival instead. I hope people don't have short memories and that they will remember that Obama and the Democrats intentionally sat on money that could have provided jobs NOW, when they are so desperately needed.

Where's that icon for "shakes head in disbelief.
How's that current health care system working out for ya? Care to provide the stats on the exponentially rising costs now, or do you just like to score cheap political points by focusing on one side's proposals?

Our health care system is an embarrassment to the developed world. We have the most expensive health care system in the world and amongst the shortest lifespan of any developed country. Should be a hint that the only people immigrating here come from failed states. Europeans sure aren't. Canadians sure aren't. Why can't we give Obama credit for taking on some of the most powerful, entrenched powers in DC and pushing them back further than anyone has before in favor of creating a society that truly values protecting all life and doesn't just talk about it.

He's said he won't sign a bill that will ad to the deficit, but to only give one side of the numbers without showing what the correlating current costs are is simply disingenuous.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wait, who's talking about passing Constitutional Amendments? What bills have Obama Veto'd that Congress needed to override?
Pay attention. No one was talking about specific anything. The general situation was what was referenced (incorrectly) and therefore what was under discussion. Then someone made a sweeping generalization which is not true. Exceptions to the supposed rule were pointed out. End of story.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
According to Politifact, without Obama the credit card users bill of rights would not have come about. He's the one who invited the credit card company executives to the White House to discuss his ideas for a bill of rights. He got the ball rolling and then babysat the bill through congress. If you are interested more details, read about it at my link below. If you are determined not to give him credit for anything he does, just skip the link.

PolitiFact | Establish a credit card bill of rights - Obama promise No. 33:

So this is why I received a letter (along with my statement) telling me that I haven't charged enough $$ (meaning they can't get any interest out of me) so they are lowering my credit limit...but should I need an increase in my credit limit, they will be more than happy to raise my limit back to what it was in the future. I cut the card up and sent it right on back, with my check, paying off the monthly balance...yet again.

I'm surprised Nancy Pelosi and Obama didn't come up with a mandatory government "option" credit card. Then everyone could have equal credit no matter their credit rating and those who paid off their monthly statement could be penalized for not accruing interest that would subsidize everyone who couldn't afford credit to begin with.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Quote:
How's that current health care system working out for ya? Care to provide the stats on the exponentially rising costs now, or do you just like to score cheap political points by focusing on one side's proposals?

Our health care system is an embarrassment to the developed world.
What a load of crap. We have the best health care in the world, the newest technologies, inventions and cures come from this country.

There are problems to be sure, but that doesn't justify a government take over, which will surely result in all the things that ALWAYS come of government running things.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
And the dems have controlled congress for how long? And the dems have controlled America and have a super majority for how long now?

You do need a super-majority in the House to pass a Consitutional amendment or to override a Presidential veto.
I see no references to a constitutional amendment or a pres. veto mentioned.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
What a load of crap. We have the best health care in the world, the newest technologies, inventions and cures come from this country.

There are problems to be sure, but that doesn't justify a government take over, which will surely result in all the things that ALWAYS come of government running things.
What a load of crap!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'd say it's nothing more than a heap of your usual made-up hokem. By nearly everyone's estimation, there were about a million more jobs out there in the third quarter than what there would have been without the stimulus. Did public sector employment rise by a million in eight months?

There were no promises of 8% or any other upper limit to unemployment provided in advocating for the stimulus bill. In early January of this year, Obama was plainly warning that we faced the threat of double-digit unemployment. Rightwing bozos like DeMint accused him at the time of exaggerating and using scare tactics.

The stimulus added about 2.5 percentage points to GDP in the second quarter of this year, and about 3.0 percentage points in the third quarter. Not half bad, considering ARRA didn't become law until February 17, i.e., just past halfway through the first quarter.
We can go round and round on the chart, the promises, and the resultant failures of the stimulus, as we usually do. We left off last time with your hero, klugman, putting up that nice little chart of obama's, claiming with the stimulus, the UE would not exceed 8%.

Second quarter GDP was a negative 1%. 3rd Q was just revised downward, from 3.5 to 2.8% - and virtually ALL of that was government spending. No private investment, no consumer spending.

Epic FAIL.

Btw, "everyone's estimation" means the WH and Romer. All the analysis I've read say their jobs claims and numbers are more smoke and mirrors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies