Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
With so many people suffering right now, I think it sucks that the media glamorizes this crap. I realize that it has been done for decades, but it is time for it to stop.
This is at least an arguable claim. It seems like the original post's claim really isn't arguable; it is rather a matter of taste. Matters of taste are hard to argue about because there is no universally agreed upon set of criteria by which to evaluate things. I may prefer hot dogs, but I'll have a hard time convincing a hamburger aficionado to come over to the hot dog preferring camp.

People could argue about how much the current administration is spending on such things as state dinners. But, to do so honestly, they would have to take into account the lavish amounts of money the Reagans spent to update the White House's china and other dining accessories. What the New York Times article describes is pretty much the opposite of that kind of conspicuous consumption. The lettuce for the Obamas' dinner came from their garden, for example. It is hard for me to imagine anyone having an argument with that--how could that source of food be any cheaper, or, on some level, more modest? I simply don't get the outrage or annoyance expressed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,459,348 times
To some, the one and only point IS to express outrage or annoyance. There's not necessarily a connection to anything at all beyond that...

Old 11-27-2009, 12:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,198,536 times
It's par for the course to reward your friends with lavish dinner parties once a President gets into office. No big deal. But I do think it's a bit much to slobber over all the details the way the writer of the article did. It sounded more like a description of a wedding in the social column of a local newspaper.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:03 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,521,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
It's par for the course to reward your friends with lavish dinner parties once a President gets into office. No big deal. But I do think it's a bit much to slobber over all the details the way the writer of the article did. It sounded more like a description of a wedding in the social column of a local newspaper.
That's a good comparison, and I couldn't agree more. But state dinners are social events, so such rhetoric is expected. Calling the writer a sycophant is rather bizarre.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:47 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,198,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
That's a good comparison, and I couldn't agree more. But state dinners are social events, so such rhetoric is expected. Calling the writer a sycophant is rather bizarre.

Yes, there are many who do follow the social scene in DC and lap up every tidbit. So what? Lots of people like to read about those things. And I wouldn't go so far as to call the writer a "sycophant". That's like calling a tea party attendee a "tea bagger".

When I was a teenager back in the 1940's I couldn't get enough of movie magazines telling me all the juicy details of both the public and private lives of movie stars. Anyone else here who remembers Louella Parsons and Hedda Hopper?

Old 11-27-2009, 01:47 PM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
I would expect a State dinner at the White House to be formal and fancy. Anything else would be an embarassment.

I think people are just so used to being casual and lowbrow that they can't imagine WHY other people might not be.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:50 PM

366 posts, read 297,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
To some, the one and only point IS to express outrage or annoyance. There's not necessarily a connection to anything at all beyond that...

http://www.wronginfo.org/chan/nuke/src/123912454729.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-27-2009, 02:39 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,459,348 times
Hey junior, GTFO my Internet!!!
-- Al Gore

Old 11-27-2009, 02:44 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,521,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
When I was a teenager back in the 1940's I couldn't get enough of movie magazines telling me all the juicy details of both the public and private lives of movie stars. Anyone else here who remembers Louella Parsons and Hedda Hopper?
Now I'm a bit nervous. On one hand, that you've made it this far offers me hope, but if my body feels this old at a measly 52, what will I feel like at 80?

Old 11-27-2009, 02:47 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,709,164 times
I guess this would have been a better article?

Dateline Washington DC:

Obama's have some people over to have vittles with the leader of India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies