Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,797,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
You're a YANKER!
I am not! I haven't pet the trouser snake in months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Of course you stand by your finger pointing. You are a perfect example of blaming someone else rather than taking personal responsibility.

I don't believe adults are like 2 yr. olds that need to be taught not to waste. Such values are taught very early in life by parents. If one has not caught on to personal responsity and values, if one has not developed character by the time he/she is old enough to become an active consumer it is not the fault of corporations. It is the fault of the individual. To purchase or not to purchase are personal choices just as to waste or not to waste.

Grow up!
Yea, and since there are so many of you who's only solution is to tell people to "grow up", the problem will continue.

Of course, no one issue causes all of a large problem, there are a variety of reasons. But as long as our culture is what it is, Americans will aways be wasteful. You can't tell people to do one thing that sounds fun and expect them to ignore it and do the right thing instead, especially when a fair majority of them are TV brainwashed sheep.

Kill consumer culture!!

Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,226,990 times
The Bush Legacy: Americans toss out 40% of food

Heh. The Bush Legacy, indeed. Just WOW ! ! ! frakkin WOW ! ! ! Someone should write an article showing that's where bleeding bum libs get that persistent rectal itch, the Bush legacy...

Old 11-27-2009, 09:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,907,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Yea, and since there are so many of you who's only solution is to tell people to "grow up", the problem will continue.

Of course, no one issue causes all of a large problem, there are a variety of reasons. But as long as our culture is what it is, Americans will aways be wasteful. You can't tell people to do one thing that sounds fun and expect them to ignore it and do the right thing instead, especially when a fair majority of them are TV brainwashed sheep.

Kill consumer culture!!
Unbelievable! And I suspect, your answer, rather than encourage people to be personably for their choices, is Communism instead?

Perhaps you have no moral compass by which to guide you life but there are those of us who do. There are those who waste little, those who actually work and value the $$ earned and are smart enough not to waste it on anything and everything that is advertised by so-called "evil corporations" that actually do employ some Americans, and actually do pay Billions in dollars of taxes to support the entitlement society.

Why not take a good hard look at government and the problems it has created through its propagation of a welfare society. It is not "evil corporations" that taught Americans that consuming what one does not need or has not earned fails to have consequences, it was big government. They do it still today. The worst shoppers I see both at the grocery store and Wal-Mart as far as buying "junk" are those who have the least $$, many using foodstamps for their purchases. They know more foodstamps will follow so they have no one holding them accountable for their choices, for their waste.

People have free-will. They are responsible for their choices. Those choices have consequences. If they waste their $$ and choose not to save for their future it should not be my problem to solve.

When I give $$ or food to my community foodbank it is my choice, not my obligation. If I buy produce and it goes bad because I didn't feel like fixing salad every night of the week that is my choice, my $$ to use wisely or waste. I'm not leaching it off other taxpayers.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:43 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
When people are encouraged to waste and products are designed to be throw-away, you blame the people?

It's like blaming a 2 year old for pissing his pants. You have to teach the kid to do it in the toilet first; you can't expect him to just up and do it on his own.

It's the same for Americans. The powers that be would prefer to keep them as immature as possible, and therefore the easiest to profit from.

So they do.

I stand by my fingerpointing at those evil corporations.
Yes, the people are indeed to blame. It's like blaming a 20 year old for watering himself, someone who should know better.

Governemnt is not there to run people's homes, or even teach people how to run their homes.

Companies are consumer driven and will produce what people by.

Any and all blame for the waste we might produce lies squarly at the feet of We the People.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:45 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,068,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Yes, the people are indeed to blame. It's like blaming a 20 year old for watering himself, someone who should know better.

Governemnt is not there to run people's homes, or even teach people how to run their homes.

Any and all blame for the waste we might produce lies squarly at the feet of We the People.
Why do we need to blame ANYONE for throwing away food that cant be used? Seriously, the fact that we can is positive, not negative. Its like placing blame for people being able to eat..

Old 11-27-2009, 09:47 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,198,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh, 2009 - 8 = 1974?

You must go to one of those liberal schools where grades don't matter.
Uh.....this is "math for liberals".

Old 11-27-2009, 09:59 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,170,826 times
Maybe joejitsu can start an organization that has local sites where all anti-Bushies can bring their leftovers so they can be distributed to the needy.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Unbelievable! And I suspect, your answer, rather than encourage people to be personably for their choices, is Communism instead?

Perhaps you have no moral compass by which to guide you life but there are those of us who do. There are those who waste little, those who actually work and value the $$ earned and are smart enough not to waste it on anything and everything that is advertised by so-called "evil corporations" that actually do employ some Americans, and actually do pay Billions in dollars of taxes to support the entitlement society.

Why not take a good hard look at government and the problems it has created through its propagation of a welfare society. It is not "evil corporations" that taught Americans that consuming what one does not need or has not earned fails to have consequences, it was big government. They do it still today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post

I'm not preaching communism here.

Business is not all bad, but let's look at what is going on. Here are some basic business facts:

Point #1 -Businesses exist to make money.

Point #2 -Businesses make huge campaign contributions which influence what politicians do and don't do.

Point #3 -People need and/or want to buy stuff.

Point #4 Businesses make more profits when more people buy more stuff.

So, we have a system where corporations influence politicans to do things which favor the corportations and flood the market with products that are not repairable or long lasting and spend billions of dollars on trying to convince people to buy their products, whether they need them or not, all because when it's all said and done, that's where the $$$ is.

Not "right" or "wrong", it just is. Call it nature. Anyway, all this stuff doesn't just disappear when people are done with it, so naturally, the more successful business is, the more waste there will be. It's as simple as that.

And how is this the individual person's fault? They are the dairy cows in the system! They sit around and eat while some one else milks them.

Also, business in America is not driven only by consumer sentiment. Consumerism is shoved down our throats. I cannot leave my house without being bombarded by adds on Bilboards, signs, raido and even guys in chicken costumes on street corners. My mailbox is filled with garbage everyday and people leave more on my doorknob and windshield. Don't even get me started on TV. I can't take my kids to the store without them begging and whining and crying for everything they recognize from the TV. And the sad part is I was the same way when I was their age.

Well I'm SICK of it! I don't want a life where happiness and success are measured by how full of crap my mcmansion is. There is more to life than stuff, and ESPECIALLY plasticy worthless crap from China. The views are also better when they aren't crowded with advertisements. I'm not saying get rid of it, I'm saying back off! There is too much.

But I do agree the individual is responsible for rising above it. They don't have a chance in hell otherwise if they can't do it on their own.

Last edited by Chango; 11-27-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 11-27-2009, 05:07 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,410,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why do we need to blame ANYONE for throwing away food that cant be used? Seriously, the fact that we can is positive, not negative. Its like placing blame for people being able to eat..
Maybe it's a difference in generations, but we were taught not to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies