Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I think they get paid way too much money. But instead of griping about it, I simply don't buy tickets to their games nor do I buy their merchandise. That's my personal choice. I do agree that they deserve to be paid quite a bit of money for several reasons. First off, they work all year long. To stay competitive, they must train year round, even in the off season. They don't train, they could get benched or cut resulting in loss of pay. Secondly, the injury rate is very high in their line of work. Who could ever forget the career ending injury of quarterback Joe Theisman. Even though most injuries aren't career ending, they can easily end the entire season of play for the player. Then there's the matter of what happens to their body when they leave the sport. The running back for the Pittsburg Steelers (can't remember his name) recently retired because it was getting harder and harder for his body to get moving. Many former football players can barely walk when once they flew across the field. I wish these young pro-atheletes would seek help from a financial planner before buying multiple homes and vehicles for themselves and their family. If they lived within their means while putting aside a large chunk of their income away in long term investments then they can be set for life. But such decisions should have started while they were playing in college. They should have studied hard for an earned degree in a career field just in case they don't go pro and even if they do go pro and their career is ended early, they'll still have the degree and career to fall back on. Instead we still have some college graduates playing pro-sports who cannot read.
Lots of people work in high risk professions and they don't get paid $100 million a year. I am not saying they should not be paid decently but the pay is obscene now. And the owners just cannot raise ticket prices fast enough- even for losing teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 08:03 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Supply and demand. There are not many people who can do what they do. They generate a lot of revenue for the owners. But the bottom line is they get paid so much because that is what the market thinks they are worth.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:05 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Supply and demand. There are not many people who can do what they do. They generate a lot of revenue for the owners. But the bottom line is they get paid so much because that is what the market thinks they are worth.
How much of their performance do you think is based on pay scale?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Because they make the team owners even more $$$. Why do we pay CEOs who lose their companies $$$ so much $$$?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:16 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Because they make the team owners even more $$$. Why do we pay CEOs who lose their companies $$$ so much $$$?
The CEO's appoint the Board of Directors.

If they vote how they are told to vote, they get to remain "on board" and keep their high unearned salaries.

Wasamatter - you don't believe in "cooperation"?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:23 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Compared to what Oprah gets for sitting on a sofa and Yakety- yakking? they get nothing, I know two ex NFL players personally and their bodies are shot before they turned thirty, If they can get eight years out that career that would be fantastic.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:37 AM

898 posts, read 1,402,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
I understand these are very talented individuals. They make a sport fun and entertaining to watch, but looking up players salaries makes me think, does Tracy McGrady really deserve $20+ million a year for JUST playing the sport, not including endorsements. Maybe it reflects what us as a society value...sports. On a side note WNBA players make roughly $35-90K a year...not a strong fan base, but just thought it was interesting.
We don't pay them. You may, but I'm not into professional sports in the least. So they don't get a dime from me.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
It is ridiculous what these professional athletes get paid. Interestingly enough, the liberals who complain about CEO salaries are strangly mum about this topic.
this has nothing to do with CEOS and their pay vs CEOS stealing money or taking money they dont deserve.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
We don't pay tehm ;teh teams that we pay to see do. Its like anyhtinhg else where people decide where to spend their money. They get paid high salaries becuse they can get it.But like many such positions; millons spend years trying to get to that position.No different than CEOs actually.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:52 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
When we put the word "playing" in front of a persons profession , people will always think they get too much money. Guitar player?, Basketball player?
You have to pay people in certain professions a lot of money because there are too many people who would love to do it for little or nothing who suck at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies