Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 03:07 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,768,503 times

Advertisements

Something I just thought of. Here in the West people grumble and complain when they have to wait in a slow line. In the East people just shove there way to the front and jockey for position. Is it really worst here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:09 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,616,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What I find quite interesting is that I was raised in a very patriarchal, authoritarian environment. You never questioned authority, and individuality was never encouraged. You did what you were told, spoke when spoken to, and respect was demanded, never earned. I despised growing up in that environment, and thought it was oppressive and stifling. The funny things is we all grew up being free-thinkers, some still revel in that environment, but most moved on, but what all display is self-discipline.

Todays kids and young adults lack the one thing I personally feel is vital for success, both personally and professionally, and that is self-discipline. Overindulgence and pampering aside, if you have never been taught to, or encouraged to control yourself, I don't believe you will be successful. I love that I am now in a position to provide things and experiences for my kids that I never had, but it is about balance and self-reliance, and family, not "stuff", and always getting your own way.
Wow. Great post. But I am afraid you have accidentally discovered the secret to your success on the first line.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,521,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Wow. Great post. But I am afraid you have accidentally discovered the secret to your success on the first line.
No, I don't think it was a great way to raise kids at all, but there has to be a middle ground between strictly authoratarian, and what we have now. It's the parents role to guide and set boundaries, not overindulge and befriend their kids.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:18 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,966,794 times
Quote:
No, I don't think it was a great way to raise kids at all, but there has to be a middle ground between strictly authoratarian, and what we have now. It's the parents role to guide and set boundaries, not overindulge and befriend their kids.
Agreed.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,655,298 times
Quote:
Me too. It was dishonest and it taught me how to be a good liar. Who wouldn't try to avoid overly harsh punishment? It also made me rebel and become self-destructive for a while. Yes, those were my choices, but they seemed to me to be the only good ones I had.

If I had had a "middle-ground" type experience, I think I would have avoided some pain. I can't know that, of course, but I've seen differences in my friends and how all of us were raised. The middle-ground approach seems best in terms of results.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,598,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
To get back on topic, do you all think it's a failure to listen, essentially? There are many times I have felt like posters I am disagreeing with are literally ignoring me. They may be--I don't use that blocking function, but some people do.

I guess ron, shizzles, and I prove that you can disagree without being nasty, because I know ron hasn't done this and I don't think shizzles has either--you all have never insulted me. I think shizzles and I disagree about a fair bit, and I think ron is kinda in the middle in terms of politics. Interesting how some folks can get along . . .
Again, it's all about the individual. You're right, I am completely 180 on alot of things from you (I am an eeeeeeeeeevil Right Wingaaarrr, muhhahahahaha), but that doesn't mean you have to be nasty or mean about it. Frankly, I feel embarressed when someone makes fun of Obama in an offensive way becuase it casts a poor light on people who share my views.

I was rasied around people from all walks of life, and I think that's the key. Most of us are all trying to get by, what we fight about is how to go about it.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
OT but THAT is the way to win an argument!! Keep your cool and be civil and logical. Drives people nutz!!
It does drive people nuts, but sometimes, the devil makes me answer in kind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Like if a kid is misbehaving in class (texting, for example), I make them share their text with the rest of the class. So it's a spanking that fits the crime, and I usually only have to do that once.
Back in my day, if you were caught writing notes (the Neanderthal method before texting), the teacher would often read the note out loud.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:28 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,345,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Something I just thought of. Here in the West people grumble and complain when they have to wait in a slow line. In the East people just shove there way to the front and jockey for position. Is it really worst here?
Here in Colorado, which is neither east nor west, people will sometimes find seaky ways to cut in line.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Again, it's all about the individual. You're right, I am completely 180 on alot of things from you (I am an eeeeeeeeeevil Right Wingaaarrr, muhhahahahaha), but that doesn't mean you have to be nasty or mean about it. Frankly, I feel embarressed when someone makes fun of Obama in an offensive way becuase it casts a poor light on people who share my views.

I was rasied around people from all walks of life, and I think that's the key. Most of us are all trying to get by, what we fight about is how to go about it.
Exactly Shizzles! As a conservative, I am very embarrassed by the postings of many right wingers on here who display an obvious, irrational hatred of Obama. I have stood up against these folks enough to where many of them act as if I'm an "evil left-winger". I hate to say this but it seems that I get much more respect from the liberals or moderate democrats than I do from fellow conservatives. It's a shame. By the way, I always enjoy your well-articulated posts Shizzles.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It does drive people nuts, but sometimes, the devil makes me answer in kind!

Although I always try to take the higher ground, I've been guilty of this myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies