Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Is a person defined by their believes. Obama appears to be a perfect leftist democrat. He is pro abortion,anti gun, against ban of same sex marriage, against teaching of family values in public schools,against ban of flag burning, against the death penalty and three strike laws. He is for increased funding for health care and campaign finance reform.He also believes in the seperation of church and state except when campaigning in black churches. Not very nonpartisan but he is our president and deserves the respect of the offfice. Obama the president will always be shouted at and about but remembering he, like his predecessors, is working within commonly accepted political boundaries may help put the shoutingin context. Being right is overrated Left,Right and my favorite Center We have to have common ground.
You need to actually check out Obama's stances on your own instead of listening to what Limbaugh and Beck tell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I need to take responsibility for what? Did I make the signs, do you have evidence to prove they are really right wingers? Please take some reality...
You need to take responsibility for your posts. It's nonsense to think these people are "plants". I've heard this before. It's just an excuse for Republicans behaving badly.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Leaving the question of my mind aside, I would welcome actual evidence of what you call "liberals" doing exactly that.
not only do they take part in protests pretending to be conservatives, there are websites created for the purpose of doing it..
Billionaires For Bush:

But since they are obvious fakes, lets continue
BuzzFlash Mailbag for November 18, 2009 | BuzzFlash.org
What happened was that, while pretending to be a teabagger, one of the immigrant supporters spoke at this November 14 rally. Initially he made like he was just another teabagger doing an anti-immigrant number, but then he switched messages

The Chaliceblog: So, what should I put on my protest sign?
I have a little too much dignity to show up as the confused person who was looking for the "God hates Figs" protest, though I appreciate the humor value.

Apparently godhatesfags.com is going to be protesting in my town tonight--I need help : atheism
Some friends and I are planning on going, and I'd like to make a clever sign that makes them look silly, but of course I'm not that clever. Maybe a thought bubble that I can stand next to people with? Any ideas would be appreciated.

"God Hates ******s" for example ... or "God Hates Jews" or some thing.. get as offensive as you get while pretending to be one of them.....

Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupson1 View Post
Is a person defined by their believes. Obama appears to be a perfect leftist democrat. He is pro abortion,anti gun, against ban of same sex marriage, against teaching of family values in public schools,against ban of flag burning, against the death penalty and three strike laws. He is for increased funding for health care and campaign finance reform.He also believes in the seperation of church and state except when campaigning in black churches. Not very nonpartisan but he is our president and deserves the respect of the offfice. Obama the president will always be shouted at and about but remembering he, like his predecessors, is working within commonly accepted political boundaries may help put the shoutingin context. Being right is overrated Left,Right and my favorite Center We have to have common ground.
I think you are offering a valuable contribution as a moderate here. I would have to quibble with you a bit about your definitions of some of the things you list.

For example, I am pro-choice, but that doesn't mean that I am pro-abortion. I think, well, I might as well be honest here, that as the owner of a uterus I don't feel comfortable with people making laws about what I can do with my body. I hope I don't have an unwanted pregnancy, and I do everything I can to prevent one, but if I got pregnant, I don't know what I'd do. I do know that most women who are in that situation agonize over their decisions. I don't like abortion, but at the same time, I don't like people being forced to do things they don't want to.

To me, this is an honest discussion of the issue of abortion. It avoids calling people either baby killers or women haters. I think Obama respects women's rights to control their bodies, and that is why he is pro choice. I have no idea what he personally thinks about abortion.

The larger point is that having an honest discussion about any of the issues on your list would be very helpful. I would love to do that. It just gets really hard to do when it seems like posters are more interested in calling each other names than they are in actually talking about things.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
OK--you do realize that the economic collapse also meant government revenue went down, right? That in and of itself pushes up the deficits.

As for your second claim, I'd like to hear your suggestions for how the collapse should have better been handled. I'm talking about specific matters of policy. Then we could actually have a conversation, though I'm not convinced you are really trying to have one.
Ahh, yep, federal revenue went down, but spending went up... Want to discuss specific matters of policy, fine, but dont pretend I'm not trying to have one while you ignore what is being said..

Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
So says a person who screams liberal each time someone disagrees with their anti-Obama viewpoint.

By the way, nice touch trotting out the Black kids and fiance. I am sure that they appreciate being used as the "anti-racist" card.
Actually it was YOU that pulled the racist card, on a topic that didnt need it to be pulled, especially considering that NO ONE said ANYTHING racist..
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is ALL just the jibberish of the Teabaggers/Obama Racists...honestly, the Teabaggers are their own worst enemy.
But yeah, you keep calling names, and then objecting to someone else objecting to being called a name, you'll get far in life, you might actually get promoted from fry cook, to cashier, thats if you dont call one of your customers a racist first and get fired..

Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You need to take responsibility for your posts. It's nonsense to think these people are "plants". I've heard this before. It's just an excuse for Republicans behaving badly.
See posting 103

Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
not only do they take part in protests pretending to be conservatives, there are websites created for the purpose of doing it..
Billionaires For Bush:

But since they are obvious fakes, lets continue
BuzzFlash Mailbag for November 18, 2009 | BuzzFlash.org
What happened was that, while pretending to be a teabagger, one of the immigrant supporters spoke at this November 14 rally. Initially he made like he was just another teabagger doing an anti-immigrant number, but then he switched messages

The Chaliceblog: So, what should I put on my protest sign?
I have a little too much dignity to show up as the confused person who was looking for the "God hates Figs" protest, though I appreciate the humor value.

Apparently godhatesfags.com is going to be protesting in my town tonight--I need help : atheism
Some friends and I are planning on going, and I'd like to make a clever sign that makes them look silly, but of course I'm not that clever. Maybe a thought bubble that I can stand next to people with? Any ideas would be appreciated.

"God Hates ******s" for example ... or "God Hates Jews" or some thing.. get as offensive as you get while pretending to be one of them.....
You know, I think what these things are is satire. There has been political satire for as long as there has been politics. It's not so much people "making things up" as it is people exaggerating extreme positions in order to expose their ridiculous parts. A good and really old example is Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal." *The Daily Show* and *The Colbert Report* are other examples. Usually, the people who are being satirized don't recognize the satire. It is the other people who laugh. It's really hard to explain. Satire works in the same way that caricature does. It's a totally different genre as compared to serious political discourse. The point is to pillory and expose, not to advance an argument or engage in deliberation about policy.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
You know, I think what these things are is satire. There has been political satire for as long as there has been politics. It's not so much people "making things up" as it is people exaggerating extreme positions in order to expose their ridiculous parts. A good and really old example is Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal." *The Daily Show* and *The Colbert Report* are other examples. Usually, the people who are being satirized don't recognize the satire. It is the other people who laugh. It's really hard to explain. Satire works in the same way that caricature does. It's a totally different genre as compared to serious political discourse. The point is to pillory and expose, not to advance an argument or engage in deliberation about policy.
Question: If you werent going to take the proof I offered seriously, why did you waste my time finding them for your educational purpose?

The first link was satire, which I stated, but the other ones were definately not, they were exactly what I said liberals do, and links to liberals admitting as such in their own words, on non-satire websites..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:08 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Why are you so hostile all the time? Have a conversation for once.

No human being - not even the U.S. president - can control an economy. He has the most ability to influence it, but even Reagan's much needed tax-cuts and interest rate drops took a couple years to filter through the market. So, no, I would not give Obama ALL the credit for recovery. But the alternative - freezing all federal spending as McCain proposed - would have been a disaster imo.

The economy has not "went backwards", whatever that means. All indications are that it's in recovery - both nationally and globally. You can expect job creation by 2011, according to most estimates.
Wow, using estimates again.

With 8 million job losses we cannot wait until 2011. With the record foreclosures and bankruptcies under Obama we wont need jobs anymore by then.

In case you have no noticed the economy has became worse under Obama, meaning it has went backwards and not forwards. So we spent all that stimulus money for nothing then correct? If we have to wait 2 more years to see any progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies