Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:23 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Question: If you werent going to take the proof I offered seriously, why did you waste my time finding them for your educational purpose?

The first link was satire, which I stated, but the other ones were definately not, they were exactly what I said liberals do, and links to liberals admitting as such in their own words, on non-satire websites..
It's not that I'm not taking that evidence seriously, it's just that I don't take the transcription of letters that some guy--who knows who, really--received about his blog seriously (that is your web link number two). Anonymous people's letters that they write in to a blog, who could be written by anyone, really, don't carry a lot of weight in my book. They are only evidence that someone, somewhere, wrote something that may or may not be true. The internet is tricky that way.

The things that I tend to accept as evidence are things that have somehow gone through an editing or other vetting process. So a published newspaper article would count, even one from a small town. What would count even more is some kind of scholarly study.

Really, using this standard of evidence helps us all. For all anyone knows, I could be completely misrepresenting my real motivations here. Evidence keeps us honest, which in the end is all I really want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
not only do they take part in protests pretending to be conservatives, there are websites created for the purpose of doing it..
Billionaires For Bush:

But since they are obvious fakes, lets continue
BuzzFlash Mailbag for November 18, 2009 | BuzzFlash.org
What happened was that, while pretending to be a teabagger, one of the immigrant supporters spoke at this November 14 rally. Initially he made like he was just another teabagger doing an anti-immigrant number, but then he switched messages

The Chaliceblog: So, what should I put on my protest sign?
I have a little too much dignity to show up as the confused person who was looking for the "God hates Figs" protest, though I appreciate the humor value.

Apparently godhatesfags.com is going to be protesting in my town tonight--I need help : atheism
Some friends and I are planning on going, and I'd like to make a clever sign that makes them look silly, but of course I'm not that clever. Maybe a thought bubble that I can stand next to people with? Any ideas would be appreciated.

"God Hates ******s" for example ... or "God Hates Jews" or some thing.. get as offensive as you get while pretending to be one of them.....
I'll just add that the people in your third posting--who are protesting Phelps' odious protests that he conducts at gay people's funerals--are merely again engaging in a kind of satire. Through exaggeration, they are pointing out what they find ridiculous about Phelps.

Here is an example of a published article about Phelps' organization. It comes from USA Today:

Anti-gay church sets its sights on Jews - USATODAY.com

Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
not only do they take part in protests pretending to be conservatives, there are websites created for the purpose of doing it..
Billionaires For Bush:

But since they are obvious fakes, lets continue
BuzzFlash Mailbag for November 18, 2009 | BuzzFlash.org
What happened was that, while pretending to be a teabagger, one of the immigrant supporters spoke at this November 14 rally. Initially he made like he was just another teabagger doing an anti-immigrant number, but then he switched messages

The Chaliceblog: So, what should I put on my protest sign?
I have a little too much dignity to show up as the confused person who was looking for the "God hates Figs" protest, though I appreciate the humor value.

Apparently godhatesfags.com is going to be protesting in my town tonight--I need help : atheism
Some friends and I are planning on going, and I'd like to make a clever sign that makes them look silly, but of course I'm not that clever. Maybe a thought bubble that I can stand next to people with? Any ideas would be appreciated.

"God Hates ******s" for example ... or "God Hates Jews" or some thing.. get as offensive as you get while pretending to be one of them.....
On to example number four. That example shows someone making a sign protesting anti-gay protesters. Again, that person is not trying to pretend to be a right wing protester, but is making fun of right wing protesters. The examples of actual right wing protest signs that people have given are real. The capitol building is clearly visible in the background. These signs are what some right wingers think, and that is sad. I've no idea if you think these things or not, I only know it is kind of hard to converse with you because you seem really hostile. It would be easier for me to talk to you if you showed some signs of good will toward your audience. I think I have shown a fair bit of good will toward you and others who have taken me to task. But that might just be me.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I'll just add that the people in your third posting--who are protesting Phelps' odious protests that he conducts at gay people's funerals--are merely again engaging in a kind of satire. Through exaggeration, they are pointing out what they find ridiculous about Phelps.

Here is an example of a published article about Phelps' organization. It comes from USA Today:

Anti-gay church sets its sights on Jews - USATODAY.com
You mean satire like making up signs and, let me quote a poster..

while pretending to be one of them

i.e. pretending to be a conservative, while making up hand written signs with misspellings and stupid comments?

Its not a new strategy for the left, there are youtube videos showing individuals setting up and doing the exact thing..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
On to example number four. That example shows someone making a sign protesting anti-gay protesters. Again, that person is not trying to pretend to be a right wing protester, but is making fun of right wing protesters. The examples of actual right wing protest signs that people have given are real. The capitol building is clearly visible in the background. These signs are what some right wingers think, and that is sad. I've no idea if you think these things or not, I only know it is kind of hard to converse with you because you seem really hostile. It would be easier for me to talk to you if you showed some signs of good will toward your audience. I think I have shown a fair bit of good will toward you and others who have taken me to task. But that might just be me.
He most certainly is...

He CLEARLY was talking about not protesting, but taking part in trying to make "THEM" look silly..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:

i.e. pretending to be a conservative, while making up hand written signs with misspellings and stupid comments?

Its not a new strategy for the left, there are youtube videos showing individuals setting up and doing the exact thing..
But that's not really what that person did--their sign made it obvious that the person was not one of them. Why would someone who disliked gay people to the extent that they would suggest that God hates gays make a sign saying that God was responsible for his erection? Everyone on the left knows that that is clearly a protest sign, not a fake Phelps supporter sign. Surely you can see that much.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
He most certainly is...

He CLEARLY was talking about not protesting, but taking part in trying to make "THEM" look silly..
Yeah, but, everyone knows that Jews are not really what Phelps is protesting, therefore they automatically know that the "fake" plant is a joke. It seems that there is something fundamental about humor here that you are missing. If you have to explain the punchline, then the joke isn't funny.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Satire really means making up signs. What satirists do is take the absurdity of their opposition, exaggerate to the nth degree, and make that absurdity speak for itself.

Once again, I think Barack Obama sincerely believes he is doing what is best for this country in a lot of ways. That is the original topic of this thread. I am waiting for Godot.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
He honestly favors Muslims over Catholics or Christians!
We don't know exactly what they teach over in Indonesia, but
it was a radical Muslim group from, what we hear.
He will not say : The war on terror????????
I pray for his impeachment ASAP!
Such ignorrance and a FOOL!!!!!!

If he favors muslims so much then why did he grant Filipino veterans who sided along with american forces against the japs during the WWII their right to equal pension and privilages from their american vet counterparts?? Filipinos are predominantley roman catholics.

If anyone needs to be prayed for, it'll be sorry fools like yourselves. Obama could have come sooner so people like you would have benifited from his education programme, maybe and just maybe america could brush off its "dumb american" label from the international scene.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Default Why, Obama is president of the United States

Wellness,

I thought you knew that.
Guess I was mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies