Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 01:26 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
How the heck you got that I'll never know! Stop adding things that were not there...
Okay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Sorry. Didn't see it.

Just because someone uses mental illness as a "defense" doesn't mean that that person is really mentally ill. However, there are indeed seriously mentally ill inmates......THOSE are the people who really need treatment, and they need it for OUR protection.

If you have that kind of background in law enforcement, you know that inmates cannot be kept in prison once they've completed their sentences....which makes it actually more important that their mental illness is diagnosed and treated before release. And there should be some sort of follow-up program established for indigent mentally ill patients after release, again, for OUR SAFETY.
Very few criminals ever finish their sentence and that is the problem. And very few in prison have a real mental illness. Low IQ is not a mental illness..

Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Not so much mentally ill or even retarded. Just dumb as a brick. Probably a 65 or 70 IQ. As I said, he did not have the mental capacity to produce even what he needed to survive. Probably did very poorly in school. Probably unable to comprehend even the elementary school curriculum. He became very angry and bitter. He did not even understand what it was that he didn't know and felt as though his incompetence was other people holding him back. He blamed society for his problems. The police were a symbol of that society for him.

No, they don't confuse me with Jesus.

- Reel
"Just dumb as a brick"............

AND mentally ill on top of that. For all we know, that guy could have thought those police officers were aliens out to get him.......or out to get Jesus. We just don't know what was in his mind. And unfortunately because we didn't care to deal with his mind when we had a chance, those four police officers are dead.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Sometimes I wonder how the wealthiest country in their world can produce a pathetic human being like this. I have no sympathy for the bastard but I wonder what kind of parents he had, what type of neighborhood he grew up and what kind of dumb **** went through his mind. Do people like this wake up one day in the morning and decide "Today, I will just kill a bunch of cops because I don't like them". Even irrational animals have more common sense and intelligence. This guy was a beast in every sense of the word.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Very few criminals ever finish their sentence and that is the problem. And very few in prison have a real mental illness. Low IQ is not a mental illness..
It's the few with serious mental illnesses we need to be concerned about, and we need to be concerned about that for OUR own safety in the future, and the safety of others.

Did you look at the data in that link I supplied?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Sometimes I wonder how the wealthiest country in their world can produce a pathetic human being like this. I have no sympathy for the bastard but I wonder what kind of parents he had, what type of neighborhood he grew up and what kind of dumb **** went through his mind. Do people like this wake up one day in the morning and decide "Today, I will just kill a bunch of cops because I don't like them". Even irrational animals have more common sense and intelligence. This guy was a beast in every sense of the word.
No, people like that guy are not nearly as rational as you suggest.

Mental illness, serious mental illness is a PROBLEM. Have you ever met anyone who actually believed he/she was Jesus? I have. It's a very strange experience. Some seriously mentally ill people can be very scary.

If that guy were capable of being as rational as you appear to be, he most likely would not have destroyed his life the way he did.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Call me crazy but I still believe that even the worst criminals should have the opportunity to a fair trial.

On the surface the shooting of Clemmons appears to be an act of vengance. I think Clemmons was a scumbag, but I find it disheartening to see our law enforcement exact revenge in such a manner.
you can't be serious? I too like to see fair trials, I think we all do, but in this case he had a gun, it was stolen from one of the officers he killed and you don't think he should have been shot and killed? What do you think he would have done to them if he had even one second to respond?

NIta

Old 12-01-2009, 01:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Though I can understand peoples deep sigh of relief that the man was caught, I can not jump on board with cheering this mans death. The death of any human being is not something to be celebrated. None of us have the power to be the ultimate judicial review for the death penalty. I am not saying that I am opposed with forcing our justice system to pass out these sentences in a controlled enviornment, but even then, the death should not be celebrated.

Think of what this man could have been. He could have been raised correctly, the slate that was written in his head through his whole life could have told the story of an alternative clean fuel source. He could have been a scientist who cured cancer.

Instead of celebrating the death we feel was justified, instead I choose to feel sadened that we allow our society to produce individuals capable of this action. I am frustrated that children are brought into this world and not raised in a manner which teaches ideals and manners including those about not hurting other people.

Our society failed this child... who turned into a man. At the end of the day, his life was ended, and in many other cases our society tries convicts and terminates their life as well. Their life however is a culmination of improper raising, mental defects, and other circumstances which are partially resulting from the enviornment we raise these children in.

When people like this kill, our society has failed itself. Stop cheering.
Holy Cow, now it is our fault!!! Wow, this is getting deeper all the time..

Nita

Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you can't be serious? I too like to see fair trials, I think we all do, but in this case he had a gun, it was stolen from one of the officers he killed and you don't think he should have been shot and killed? What do you think he would have done to them if he had even one second to respond?

NIta
The story was updated since I last read it. This new information certainly does change things.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:46 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,320 times
Criminals will steal the guns from the police if guns are banned, also if you check since the sale of guns have gone up, crime related to guns has come down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies