Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
What if that day makes the difference between whether or not you keep your job....do you think they'd still have a problem with it being busy?
The fact is...it doesn't. There's no way you can operate in the red the entire year, and then expect one day to make it for it all. It is highly unlikely that even an entire month is going to make up for the expenses of the other 11. If you're not hitting sales plan, week in and week out, Christmas isn't going to "save" you. You're still likely to fall short for the entire year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:02 PM

"Green olives are in a jar. Black olives are in a can. Why they got to lock the BLACK olives up?"

Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Behar: Isn’t it a little racist to call it Black Friday?
Goldberg: Well, I would have called it African American Friday, but I feel that’s taking something away from it.
Behar: But there’s a negative connotation to it? Or does it mean something else?
Goldberg: No, it’s like when you make all the money. You’re in the black.
Behar: So it’s positive?
Goldberg: Yeah. It’s in the black, so it’s a huge, great thing.
Behar: A lot of times, like blackmail is negative, black sheep.
Can she really be that ignorant?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yep, just be liberal and you can say all kinds of racist things. All in the guise of being PC in your personal life to cover it up. Like in "Sex In The City." The main character said, "Why would he give me getto gold for an engagement ring? Doesn't he know it's not me at all?" I thought Getto Gold? Isn't that racist? I guess not if you are liberal. Go figure.
LOL why is that racist? All the words ghetto gold make me think is big ostentatious tacky-looking or extremely cheap-looking gold jewelry, either way neither one strikes me as racist…if you hear the word ghetto and the first thing that pops in your head has something to do with race…well….................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What is really offensive is "Manic Monday" by the Bangles. That song insults maniacs and should be banned.

I always thought the name od that song was Magic Monday

Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
"Green olives are in a jar. Black olives are in a can. Why they got to lock the BLACK olives up?"
Those damn olive growers are racist. We should picket.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:13 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
LOL, from an Eddie Murphy movie. One character though the game of pool was racist. The white ball hits all the colored balls into the holes.

Also, most stores operate in the red for most of the year and Black Friday is the first day they expect to be in the black or making money. So yes, the Christmas season makes it or breaks it for a lot of businesses. Most kiss Black Friday and love to see it.

Maybe we could ban all black names and colors. Think how much of a mess that would be. Should the Blacks families change their name to something else? How about to Smith? PC has jumped the shark.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
LOL, from an Eddie Murphy movie. One character though the game of pool was racist. The white ball hits all the colored balls into the holes.

Also, most stores operate in the red for most of the year and Black Friday is the first day they expect to be in the black or making money. So yes, the Christmas season makes it or breaks it for a lot of businesses. Most kiss Black Friday and love to see it.

Maybe we could ban all black names and colors. Think how much of a mess that would be. Should the Blacks families change their name to something else? How about to Smith? PC has jumped the shark.
True story: Severaly years ago I was outside calling for my cat, named Blackie, when our black mail woman walked by. We locked eyes and were BOTH a little embarassed and unsure...for so many reasons that had nothing to do with the suitation. Yes, our overly PC world makes us all a little nutso and nervous.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:26 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Read more carefully, Because nothing you said is of any relevance to anything I said. Nowhere did I say either name was racist.

That the light/dark paradigm exists is indisputable. That's my point and no strawman you build changes this reality.
I was well aware of that....that's why I wrote the last sentence because she did tie the two together.....at the same time though, you started you're post saying you were playing devil's advocate.....so, if that was you're only point, then maybe it was your post that was irrelevant.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The fact is...it doesn't. There's no way you can operate in the red the entire year, and then expect one day to make it for it all. It is highly unlikely that even an entire month is going to make up for the expenses of the other 11. If you're not hitting sales plan, week in and week out, Christmas isn't going to "save" you. You're still likely to fall short for the entire year.
With a retail store that's open 12 months I'm sure it doesn't but, I've been surprised at how sometimes a business relies on very short periods of time to make a profit. I've seen investors put substantial amounts of money into opening a night club knowing full well they would be closing it in six months. Accounts that do tax returns (not so much individuals or firms but, more like H & R Block), work non-stop and count on a month or so prior to 4/15 to make most of their money. The toy industry counts entirely on this time of year to make a profit (they actually do count on 1 month to cover the other 11). Stores that open for one month to sell Halloween costumes and decorations. I know they only operate for one month but, what do they do with a the inventory they don't sell....some of it is only popular for that one year. Haunted houses....I never saw these until I moved to AZ.....of course I've seen the ones that are permanent before but, I talking about the ones they build and take down in one month. They're elaborate, they're not like a fun house at a carnival....they look like a huge mansion (on the outside and the inside). I realize a lot of it can be stored and used the following year but, there are other expenses like advertising that must be quite a bit. Although, I did hear tickets were $20 this year....so a family of four would be $80 to walk through a haunted house.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:25 AM

There are stores here called "Spirit" stores. They sell Halloween merchandise, and only open a month, maybe six weeks. Tax offices are generally not open year round. They may keep one main branch open and have one person on salary to babysit between April 15th and January 1st. The biggest rush for them is actually the first two weeks of February--as companies have until the end of January to deliver W-2's and 1099's to their employees. Picks up again, maybe the last week of March and the first part of April for those procrastinators (especially those who know they will probably have to pay, or get just a SMALL refund).

The thing is, these places are "seasonal" and plan it this way. They aren't expecting business in the off season. So their quotas are figured accordingly.

Edit: what stores do with unsaleable merchandise? Return to vendor. If you deal in inventory, you have something called "Returns and allowances". So beginning inventory+purchases-returns and allowances-ending inventory=cost of goods sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies