Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Uh, I think the point was that it's ridiculous either way.
No that wasn't the point...I really do believe that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 03:09 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I wonder what Bill Cosby would say about all this. He is a very smart man.
That more of the black race needs to raise their kids right, make sure they get educated and quit sending em out onto the streets. Seems like natalyajones has the right idea, wish more acted like her.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:11 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
I was harassed by a black police officer in Detroit before. Must be because I was white...

Yeah, sure you were. You're just making that up.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
"conforming with or constituting a norm or standard or level or type or social norm"

If you conform to the way everyone else in the neighborhood acts, by keeping your house up, cutting your grass, etc, then I'd say thats pretty "normal". Sure, a LOT of black people are known for that. You aren't, so you're not part of that.
So the only way to be "normal" is to conform? I don't think a LOT of black people are known for murdering, raping or stealing but clearly you do.

Quote:
That more of the black race needs to raise their kids right, make sure they get educated and quit sending em out onto the streets. Seems like natalyajones has the right idea, wish more acted like her.
More of them do...they just aren't the ones that you see on CNN.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
I agree with you.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:17 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Quote:
"conforming with or constituting a norm or standard or level or type or social norm"

If you conform to the way everyone else in the neighborhood acts, by keeping your house up, cutting your grass, etc, then I'd say thats pretty "normal". Sure, a LOT of black people are known for that. You aren't, so you're not part of that.
Let's do one better, no?

What constitutes normal dress? Many have said that being underdressed is an invitation to stereotyping, but being overdressed certainly isn't "normal" now is it? What is a fashionista to do!

What if you have an apartment and not a house? Renting certainly isn't "normal" in a country where 60% of the population owns, is it? But then again, many renters are successful and upper middle class. Are they undesirables for veering from the norm?

Since when it conformity a good thing anyway? Doesn't sound very American to me.

You cannot simply say "act normal". You have to define the parameters! Which behaviours are okay to veer from the mainstream in and which are not? What level of conformity constitutes sufficient normality? What are the geographical limits of the social behaviours to which one should adhere? Are you to be "normal" at the local, city, state, and national level or will a smaller social jurisdiction suffice?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So the only way to be "normal" is to conform? I don't think a LOT of black people are known for murdering, raping or stealing but clearly you do.

More of them do...they just aren't the ones that you see on CNN.
I dont watch the news. Base it off of reality.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:39 PM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
What can minorities do to avoid racial profiling?
are we blaming the victim? What can women do to avoid being raped?
I have a right to wear and drive what ever I want. I have been profiled many times, mostly in the Midwest, Kansas Oklahoma,Missouri, Nebraska, Texas.
How do I combat this obvious intrusion? I remain cordial, polite, and respectful while the drug dogs take my car apart with all my shyt lying in highway. I sign the contact form and say thank you officer.

This is my small way of teaching that cop that some black men who look like criminals behave like law abiding citizens

Old 12-01-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I dont watch the news. Base it off of reality.
Then you either live in the projects or your perspective on reality is skewed.

It's not like I'm some strange breed of the black species...the majority of my family as well as my friends and their families are productive working law-abiding citizens.

My best friend is a teacher. Another friend is a nurse. Another is a corrections officer. Another is a pilot. Another owns two daycares. The majority of my friends have degrees; many of them have or are pursuing advanced degrees.

My boyfriend is a member of a black fraternity and every year we go to a caucus where I'm surrounded by nothing but young, educated, professional black men without prison records.

So excuse me if I don't quite grasp the concept of black people being known for being thieves, killers and rapists...guess my reality is a little different from yours.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Then you either live in the projects or your perspective on reality is skewed.

It's not like I'm some strange breed of the black species...the majority of my family as well as my friends and their families are productive working law-abiding citizens.

My best friend is a teacher. Another friend is a nurse. Another is a corrections officer. Another is a pilot. Another owns two daycares. The majority of my friends have degrees; many of them have or are pursuing advanced degrees.

My boyfriend is a member of a black fraternity and every year we go to a caucus where I'm surrounded by nothing but young, educated, professional black men without prison records.

So excuse me if I don't quite grasp the concept of black people being known for being thieves, killers and rapists...guess my reality is a little different from yours.
I actually live in a 99% white, middle class city. My perspective is based off the notion that most blacks I come in contact with, are usually negative and fit the stereotype. Arrested for shoplifting at stores, stealing the cars, robbing people, etc. That's why they are looked upon like WTF? I would have loved to grow up in an area where I could come into contact with more black professionals such as yourself and your colleagues, I really do. I make good friends with the ones who separate themselves from the ghetto culture, and have all the respect in the world for them. Its just that in MY experience, they are few and far in between, sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies