Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Or upbringing and choice of stereotypes to follow.

For instance, some people follow ethnic/racial/religious/cultural/national-identity ideologies that they themselves know are both flawed and illogical, but often seek out others who feel as they do and attack anyone who does not, hoping to suppress their gut intellect telling them their ideals are flawed. All the while hiding the fact that they support such ideals from the general public, knowing what the 'reasonable persons' gut response to their ideals is rejection and disgust.

You (and a good number of others here) know exactly what Im talking about. Im sure you will pretend its gone over your head though...
I understand what you're talking about, but it doesn't make you right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer222 View Post
Mike, I really think you are failing to see the value of rights so lets take it out of a victim or non victim scenario.

This thread has talked about the 4th amendment so lets take it to the 2nd amendment. We all have a right to purchase and poses a firearm under the 2nd amendment. Well what if one day the police in your town decide your towns people can no longer do so. Even if you do not own a firearm you have now had a constitutional right removed from you. Do you see that?

It's not about being a victim or not it's about our rights being our rights no matter what. If you give up one right because you say you don't care than why won't they take another one that you will care about?
Oh, I see the value of rights.

What I fail to see and what has not been shown is how someone who is racially profiling me is denying me my rights. I have lost no rights. I have never had a bad encounter with the police or any other government entity nor have I ever had a bad encounter with with business or any other private entity due to my racial/ethnic background. If I was being racially profiled then it must have been profoundly limited in its impact because I have not noticed anything.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:33 PM

433 posts, read 261,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Oh, I see the value of rights.

What I fail to see and what has not been shown is how someone who is racially profiling me is denying me my rights. I have lost no rights. I have never had a bad encounter with the police or any other government entity nor have I ever had a bad encounter with with business or any other private entity due to my racial/ethnic background. If I was being racially profiled then it must have been profoundly limited in its impact because I have not noticed anything.

If you or anyone is stopped or search by police based on color you have lost your rights. Its quite simple.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:44 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
If you or anyone is stopped or search by police based on color you have lost your rights. Its quite simple.
But I have not so I have not. Every time I was stopped by the police or the highway patrol it was for speeding. And I really was speeding. Color has nothing to do with getting a ticket for doing 90mph when the speed limit is 65mph. And I have never been stopped and searched by the police randomly.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Does he look like this:

or this?

Example 1 would have no issues. Example 2 would probably have issues.
But fact is, even a black male in a suit, due to the presence of the negroid traits still is perceived as a possible perp. by most non-blacks.

In the same way that we all inately recognize a smile, african features often, rightly or wrongly, have a built in look to them.

Same with other traits that aren't on average black as well. If you hunt around you can probably find old books that talk about how certain facial traits signal certain personality types. E.g "beady eyes", "Machavellian Eybrows" etc.

There may actually be some scientific basis for this. The following article documents that the *gene* that cause *red hair* also causes red heads to feel pain more acutely.

In other words, sometimes visible traits are, in fact, markers of internal traits.

Here's the short of it. Notice very closely... the very gene that causes the red hair, causes the other issues.... So what's to say the genes that cause the visible traits we loosely define as race don't each carry other traits long associated with the races?

This is probably why anyone who cares to actually *look* and state what they see themselves will always be at odds with the PC crowd.

Also note, this isn't some trash site like Stormfront... it's the New York Times.

The Pain of Being a Redhead - Well Blog - NYTimes.com

"
Researchers believe redheads are more sensitive to pain because of a mutation in a gene that affects hair color. In people with brown, black and blond hair, the gene, for the melanocortin-1 receptor, produces melanin. But a mutation in the MC1R gene results in the production of a substance called pheomelanin that results in red hair and fair skin.

The MC1R gene belongs to a family of receptors that include pain receptors in the brain, and as a result, a mutation in the gene appears to influence the body’s sensitivity to pain. A 2004 study showed that redheads require, on average, about 20 percent more general anesthesia than people with dark hair or blond coloring. And in 2005, researchers found that redheads are more resistant to the effects of local anesthesia, such as the numbing drugs used by dentists."

Old 12-05-2009, 12:12 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Quote:
I understand what you're talking about, but it doesn't make you right.
The fact that you admit you know what I am speaking of both impresses me and brings me confidence.

I would like to, at some point, discuss and debate true ideological leanings, but not as long as they are masked through farce in effort to convince others.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Yea, where'd they go, we can't seem to find them. Hey, look under the mattress...

Old 12-05-2009, 09:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Yea, where'd they go, we can't seem to find them. Hey, look under the mattress...
LOL please my brother was stopped while driving his new expensive car in his all whtie neighborhood in Murphy, TX in 2007. When the cop recognized him (from church) he started chit chatting about the weather and Christmas and blah blah blah and then let him go....

......he never did say why he pulled him over though.

I have a white girlfriend who used to get stopped all the time when she came to visit me because she'd take the back roads to aovid traffic...something about that expensive orange Camaro made the police think she was up to no good.

Just because it doesn't make headline news doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL please my brother was stopped while driving his new expensive car in his all whtie neighborhood in Murphy, TX in 2007. When the cop recognized him (from church) he started chit chatting about the weather and Christmas and blah blah blah and then let him go....

......he never did say why he pulled him over though.

I have a white girlfriend who used to get stopped all the time when she came to visit me because she'd take the back roads to aovid traffic...something about that expensive orange Camaro made the police think she was up to no good.

Just because it doesn't make headline news doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Oh believe me, I'm sure it happens everyday, but not as often as people think. Most people might not have a full grasp of why the Officer stopped them if they don't tell them, and some might feel it to be for prejudicial reasons. I'm just saying it's not always the case and people jump to conclusions way too fast based on the circumstances. Goes both ways, doesn't it? Officer may jump to conclusions at times, just as well as the motorist might.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:28 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
In the case of blacks, the non-ghetto ones would be better off just being in a politically moderate/libertarian area. People in these areas tend to be the only places these days where the non-blacks have the mental capacity (or put aside the racial superiority ego) to tell the difference between normal/non-stereotypical blacks and ghetto/section-8 hoodlums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Or upbringing and choice of stereotypes to follow.

For instance, some people follow ethnic/racial/religious/cultural/national-identity ideologies that they themselves know are both flawed and illogical, but often seek out others who feel as they do and attack anyone who does not, hoping to suppress their gut intellect telling them their ideals are flawed. All the while hiding the fact that they support such ideals from the general public, knowing what the 'reasonable persons' gut response to their ideals is rejection and disgust.

You (and a good number of others here) know exactly what Im talking about. Im sure you will pretend its gone over your head though...
This is the main explanation why most places with fewer low-income/ghetto blacks have the likelihood of being less racist against blacks in general (I believe this can apply to any other disadvantaged race as well). For years, I've personally been the attack target of the so-called "Community" because the things I do, ambition I have, and morals I live by are very different than what most blacks "should" act, do, and believe in. This has cost me a lot of my social life during my teen years, and has even caused strife with my family members.

As for a lot of people claiming to just not be ghetto as the effective way to reduce racial prejudice, trust me when I say it isn't the uber-liberals who recognize and appreciate this. Hell, I've met people whom most would label as rednecks and ultra-conservatives, and they've given me a LOT MORE respect due to me standing my own ground and not becoming another carbon-copy stereotype. The places where I have had the least amount of racial profiling and prejudice and the places where I've had [non-black] individuals who I have been able to get along with the most were in places that were more politically moderate and libertarian, along with conservative places that weren't extremist and liberal areas that weren't chic/hip about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies