Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:23 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,623,251 times

Advertisements

We need to seriously consider how to reindustrialize our country even if it reduces the profits compared to building things in Asia. I suggest we start with countervailing tariffs that negate the advantage accrued by the Asia manufacture due to lower wage, building, and lax environmental standards. We need to level the playing field by adopting a Fair Trade Policy and giving up our unFair Trade nonsense.

We also need to revise our income tax system and restore it to the progressivity of the 1950’s. This would, along with the reindustrialization, provide much more money for the lower and middle class to invest and/or consume. It might actually reduce poverty to very low levels as there would be enough demand for workers to produce the goods protected by the tariff wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,809,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
No problem at all with people needing foodstamps for food or neccesities.....

.....Problem if used to buy cigs, alcohol and welfare to buy drugs and 24's for your "whip"
I believe they can't buy cigs and alcohol legitimately with food stamps. People can, however, buy food stuff that is of little or no nutritional value. Many of them do, because they get a lot more quantity choosing junk. They need the quantity to be able to have something to eat that will last until more food stamps come in. I would like to see the amount of food stamps increase to those that get them, but limit there use to food products that can provide a basic nutritional need.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 AM

37,761 posts, read 40,866,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
1 out of 8 Americans are currently on food stamps, including myself. About a year ago, I would have never thought of myself being on food stamps BUT it was either swallow your pride and apply or STARVE.

This is the first I have ever applied for any type of assistance and I don't even feel BAD. Unfortunately, now I can understand how people may become "addicted" to government handouts. I have been looking for job for the last 2 months, I have driven 3 hours to ND for a job interview, I have flown to IA and other neighboring states for interviews and so far, NOTHING. I hope something happens for me quickly because I am really close to giving up!

The New York Times > Log In
The federal government is hiring up a storm. In fact, their hiring is what has slowed the unemployment growth numbers. If you have no criminal record, check out USA JOBS.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,336,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I believe they can't buy cigs and alcohol legitimately with food stamps. People can, however, buy food stuff that is of little or no nutritional value. Many of them do, because they get a lot more quantity choosing junk. They need the quantity to be able to have something to eat that will last until more food stamps come in. I would like to see the amount of food stamps increase to those that get them, but limit there use to food products that can provide a basic nutritional need.
The problem is that food stamps are meant to supplement and a lot of people try to just use them as their sole means of buying food. The other problem is that people don't know how to make the food stretch...they think buying 4 packs of hot dogs for $8 is better than buying 5lbs of ground beef for $8 not realizing that while the ground beef may only be 1 item it will go further than the hot dogs.

That's my take on it anyway.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,769,743 times
The Bush Legacy continues.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:10 AM

737 posts, read 1,645,392 times
I just wanted to add that Addicted to food stamps is the wrong way of putting it.

It should be more like jonesing (as is needing your next fix) because what you had has already ran out and you need more to survive.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,809,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlady01 View Post
I just wanted to add that Addicted to food stamps is the wrong way of putting it.

It should be more like jonesing (as is needing your next fix) because what you had has already ran out and you need more to survive.
The problem is that most of them do need the food stamps to survive. It's very Republican of you to not understand that.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The problem is that most of them do need the food stamps to survive. It's very Republican of you to not understand that.
Thats very Democrat of you to think that Republicans don't understand it.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:52 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,294,711 times
I guess what I meant by "being addicted" to food stamps is the fact that until 3 weeks ago, I was spending about $180/month at the grocery store and putting it on a credit card, I am single and I have no children. Now, I get about $182/month and it is more than enough for me,so I have no economic incentive for not using my EBT card, especially if I don't find a job anytime soon. Having this EBT card has helped me tremendously BUT I can see now how having this free handout has affected my motivation. Honestly, I have been thinking about applying for Section 8 housing, Medicaid, things I would have never considered, it is SAD but I went from being a very entrepreneurial type to someone who has basically lost hope.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:03 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,623,251 times
Repubocrat - Not to get personal, but how are you paying the rent? Gas for the car? Cloths? Planning to pay off that credit card? That money is not free! Good luck brother because you are not the only one suffering from this bursting bubble and misguided industrial/investment policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies