Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times

Advertisements

I don't think it is entirely the right or left, or any one thing in between.

I think the current people who are raving about it are anti-intellectual, because they are going off what they feel alone...and taking a rational point of view with thinking about the subject often dispels that. The first thing that reacts in your emotional matrix is your amigdala, your centers for strong and often negative emotions (fear/anger). Feeling that is a reaction and very quick. Feeling it alone without something in your mind saying "Is this correct/is this what everything is showing me" can be a big problem...people will over react with insane anger at minor perceived slights at it (like people opening fire when they don't get ketchup packets).

If you have ever seen some react with irrational anger at something another person said that they misunderstood is often a sign that something went around the logical part of their brain. Unwillingness to change opinion to admit that maybe their reaction was not correct is hijacking for fear of looking like a fool as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
read the full story at: Against Common Sense | The New Republic

I agree with the intellectual right, non-republican conservatives, on many issues. However, the mainstream right AKA Republican Party is another issues. It is the party of populism and anti-intellectualism.
I disagree, you have many republicans who fancy themselves as intellectuals because they are open minded, liberal conservative moderates, and see the Republican Party as presenting a populist view. I'm sure Collin Powell and Olympia Snow see themselves as intellectuals.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Mainstream America has historically had a distrust of intellectuals. It's not so much a right-wing, left-wing phenomena as it is a part of human nature. People trust people they connect with. It's can be hard to trust intellectuals because their education and abilities give them a worldview that is not shared by most people, and so the connections aren't always there. A keen intellect isn't always accompanied by the ability to communicate that knowledge. More than that, there isn't just one kind of intelligence. People who excel in some areas don't excel in all areas. And theoretical knowledge often fails in practice, because it cannot anticipate all the variables at play. But "common sense" doesn't address all the variables, either. "Common sense" tends to be short-term problem solving, but isn't policy-setting strategy. However, in politics, when an administration, be it conservative or liberal, is trying to develop policy, to address problems in the long-term, political opponents often find it useful to criticize policy as not "common sense". Because people sagely nod their heads in agreement, see how silly the administration is for not using "common sense". But policy isn't about "common sense" because it's not about solving short-term problems, it's about minimizing long-term problems. And minimizing long-term problems, making investments in the future, trying to analyze cause and effect, is sensible leadership strategy.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,964 times
When conservatives and Republicans first opposed Obama's policies they were labeled racist. It looks like "anti-intellectual", i.e. stupid, is now the new label being trotted out.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
When conservatives and Republicans first opposed Obama's policies they were labeled racist. It looks like "anti-intellectual", i.e. stupid, is now the new label being trotted out.
Nah... Fox news is way ahead of you. Recall, during elections, there was a lot pf hooplah about elites and intellectuals - presumably all in the Democratic party and the "msm"? Even now, Billo and Beck love to hate "intellectuals".

Personally, I think to be an elite athlete / thinker/ engineer/ etc takes a lot of talent and hard work. I love the salts of earth types, but would not want that guy near me when operating on my brain. Similarly, I would rather the government be run by better-than-average reps/dems.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Mainstream America has historically had a distrust of intellectuals. It's not so much a right-wing, left-wing phenomena as it is a part of human nature. People trust people they connect with. It's can be hard to trust intellectuals because their education and abilities give them a worldview that is not shared by most people, and so the connections aren't always there. A keen intellect isn't always accompanied by the ability to communicate that knowledge. More than that, there isn't just one kind of intelligence. People who excel in some areas don't excel in all areas. And theoretical knowledge often fails in practice, because it cannot anticipate all the variables at play. But "common sense" doesn't address all the variables, either. "Common sense" tends to be short-term problem solving, but isn't policy-setting strategy. However, in politics, when an administration, be it conservative or liberal, is trying to develop policy, to address problems in the long-term, political opponents often find it useful to criticize policy as not "common sense". Because people sagely nod their heads in agreement, see how silly the administration is for not using "common sense". But policy isn't about "common sense" because it's not about solving short-term problems, it's about minimizing long-term problems. And minimizing long-term problems, making investments in the future, trying to analyze cause and effect, is sensible leadership strategy.
I agree with all of that. But the reason most people distrust "intellectuals" is because many intellectuals automatically feel as if their interpretations and views are more valid, simply because of an Ivy League education. They believe that simply because of their education they are automatically imparted them with greater wisdom then someone of lesser education, or is self taught like Limbaugh.

In other words people see them as intellectual snobs.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Nah... Fox news is way ahead of you. Recall, during elections, there was a lot pf hooplah about elites and intellectuals - presumably all in the Democratic party and the "msm"? Even now, Billo and Beck love to hate "intellectuals".

Personally, I think to be an elite athlete / thinker/ engineer/ etc takes a lot of talent and hard work. I love the salts of earth types, but would not want that guy near me when operating on my brain. Similarly, I would rather the government be run by better-than-average reps/dems.
There are people who are able to retain lots of information, and be seen as very intelligent, but they make poor brain surgeons because they cannot think outside the box, all they know is what they are taught. These are the people with the blinking VCRs because they cannot figure out how to set the clock.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
There are people who are able to retain lots of information, and be seen as very intelligent, but they make poor brain surgeons because they cannot think outside the box, all they know is what they are taught. These are the people with the blinking VCRs because they cannot figure out how to set the clock.
I agree - different people also have different aptitudes. Also agree with your earlier post about some intellectuals being snobbish - and all I can say is I can show you many people with zero accomplishments who can out-snob any accomplished intellectual. In general, for better or worse, the mood in the country tends to be anti-intelligence.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:46 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,964 times
Quote:
These are the people with the blinking VCRs because they cannot figure out how to set the clock.
I don't hold anything against anybody who can't figure those damn things out.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times
Quote:
I agree with all of that. But the reason most people distrust "intellectuals" is because many intellectuals automatically feel as if their interpretations and views are more valid, simply because of an Ivy League education. They believe that simply because of their education they are automatically imparted them with greater wisdom then someone of lesser education, or is self taught like Limbaugh.

In other words people see them as intellectual snobs.
And often see them as idiots. In my education I have ran into many who were heavily educated, but so arrogant that they failed to recognize that they did not apply any of that education to their position.

Arrogance is a cancer to intelligent understanding. It applies every fallacy in the book to keep up its appearance as superior. It refuses to meet conflict using quantifiable means as it believes it is above such a position. This leads to ignorance as they refuse to accept anything that does not meet their "standard" of acceptance.

I have met many many very stupid people who held multiple degree's and at the same time, I have met very enlightened and intelligent people in places one would not expect to find them.

Personally, I see this entire thread as yet another attempt to sponsor and categorize in order to serve the benefit of being able to arrogantly wave off any conflicting opinions by rallying those who are infatuated with their own ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies