Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
GO BUY SOME TOYS FOR THE NEEDY!!!
I do but they are for AMERICAN children first.
Take care of your own before you try to take care of the world.
This is America and I won't ignore my fellow citizens in favor of ILLEGALS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do but they are for AMERICAN children first.
Take care of your own before you try to take care of the world.
This is America and I won't ignore my fellow citizens in favor of ILLEGALS.
Right on.

I want my tax dollars/donation to help fellow Americans. Not illegals who feel they are entitled.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Yes, I understand you are trying to say that since many peoples ancestors came over when there were no immigration laws we shouldn't have them now -- is that right? And you were the one that brought that up, noone else.
And that fact has just about as much relevance as child labor laws and womens sufferage and slavery because we were a different country with different needs and expectations at those particular points in history.

And yes, it does take people a while to learn English - I've never said otherwise.

As to the actual point of this thread ----- you do realize that toys are finite, right? That perhaps the Salvation Army has made this rule (as they stated, it was more to stop 'double dipping' then outing illegals) because they just may not have enough toys to go around. So what makes a child who is in this country illegally more worthy of getting that toy than a child who is in this country legally? What makes illegal immigrants who are scabbing down wages in an already depressed market more worthy than the citizens and legal immigrants they pushed out of the job market to begin with?
Where did you get that idea (bolded statement)? I am getting very annoyed at my words being twisted beyond belief. You wrap your family in the flag (though I note no military service stated), slam my family of veterans with a snarky comment (what a concept!) and a snarky smilie, then issue an non-apology apology. You twist my words about many people entering the country when there were no immigration laws to state that I mean there shouldn't be any now. Where did I say that? I'm not even going to defend that!

Another snarky comment asking if I realize toys are finite. Why no, I thought they grew on trees! You mean they don't? Gee thanks for enlightening me.

Where did you get the idea that a child's worth depends on their immigration status? Little children aren't "scabbing down wages".

All these deflections about how Christmas is celebrated in Mexico are just that, deflections. It's mean sprited to deny little kids toys, b/c they are "illegal". How does anyone on this thread know that the "illegal" children feel they are entitled? There is nothing in the OP that says donations are down; it just says requests are UP.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
All these deflections about how Christmas is celebrated in Mexico are just that, deflections. It's mean sprited to deny little kids toys, b/c they are "illegal". How does anyone on this thread know that the "illegal" children feel they are entitled? There is nothing in the OP that says donations are down; it just says requests are UP.
Go google..donations are down this year as well as was last year.
No deflection..just a case of "let's take care of our own first".

Illegals have no rights in this country. But you bleeding heart liberals hand them everything on a platter..."...for the children" regardless.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go google..donations are down this year as well as was last year.
No deflection..just a case of "let's take care of our own first".
That is not the same as saying "that's not how they celebrate Christmas in Mexico" as justification for turning down these little "illegal" children.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:04 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
So now you want to assess degrees of worthiness of children? And based solely on where they were born and actions their parents have taken that they couldn't possibly even understand?

Children are children. Period.

If the Houston chapter of the Salvation army is having trouble meeting the needs of all the children who are in need this Christmas season, then by G-d they can redouble their efforts and figure out a way to get more toys instead of violating their own code of moral conduct.

"All Salvation Army social welfare services are provided on a non-discriminatory basis; such services shall be equally available to all persons on the basis of need and capacity to benefit from the service."

There is no citizenship test.

Children are children - you are right about that. And yes, what horrible parents they must have to put them in the position of living in poverty in a country they have no right being in.

Yes, that mean ol' Salvation Army -- they should just go out and buy more gifts to make sure that there is enough to be given out to anyone who shows up regardless of need or eligibility, right? That is what you are saying?

Oh, and to me Christmas is one hell of a hedonistic commercial holiday. It is meaningless beyond that. So you can try the christian guilt trip on someone who actually believes.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the nerve of those BP people trying to catch illegal aliens getting "their gifts".

Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is not the same as saying "that's not how they celebrate Christmas in Mexico" as justification for turning down these little "illegal" children.
Oh for heavens sake: they are here illegally, you have the option to give them gifts thru some charities, so let it rest..

Nita

Old 12-05-2009, 02:57 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Oh well. I smell some PC here.

Salvation Army drops Social Security rule for toys | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 12-05-2009, 03:39 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
HA! Vindication. I've been right all along in this thread. To wit:
[Maj. George Hood, with the organization's national headquarters in Alexandria, Va.] said that up until this point, the decision on identification requirements have been made locally, although the organization does have a broad policy prohibiting discrimination. He said that policy likely will be codified nationally.

“The national policy that does exist is that we will not use any identification to discriminate against an illegal alien,” Hood said. “All people will be served regardless of [their] status.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies