Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,788,337 times

Advertisements

I'll never figure out how this guy gets so many people roped into his threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,676,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'll never figure out how this guy gets so many people roped into his threads.
Obviously you replied to it.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM

624 posts, read 1,068,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The country of Uganda is considering a law that will apply the death penalty to people who engage in acts of homosexuality. Many Republican Christians in this country are in favour of these laws.
One part of the new law states that, not only does it apply to all acts of homosexuality in Uganda itself, whether committed by a foreigner or a citizen BUT the law also applies to ALL citizens of Uganda no matter WHERE they reside in the world. The law says they shall be EXTRADITED to Uganda to face a possible death sentence. So if 2 homosexuals have a rump romp here in the USA and one of them is from Uganda and the government of Uganda request we extradite that homosexual to face possible death, should the United States honour that request?

Uganda considers death sentence for gay sex in bill before parliament | World news | The Guardian
Hm... hopefully any liberal reading this sees the difference between the 'intolerance' in Uganda and the 'intolerance' in the USA.

And ... I'd say the 'intolerance' for gay marriage rights in the USA is not that bad and I'd guess that we won't see mass gay exodus from this country anytime soon.

Because no matter how they want to spin it, of ALL countries this one treats them the best. No, we won't grant them the right to marry, but we will respect their CHOICE better than anyone else in this world.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,583,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Because no matter how they want to spin it, of ALL countries this one treats them the best. No, we won't grant them the right to marry, but we will respect their CHOICE better than anyone else in this world.
I strongly disagree. It would take some incredible mental gymnastics to convince myself that the U.S. respects gays better than anyone else in the world. That just doesn't make sense.

And it's not a choice, so quit saying that it is - unless you don't mind sounding uneducated on the subject.

And who is this "we" you speak of? Five states allow same-sex marriage, and in both Maine and California, nearly half the population voted to keep it legal. Do you believe that nearly half the population of those states is gay?

This isn't an "us versus them" debate to me; maybe you see it that way, though. I think it's sad if you do.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,788,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Obviously you replied to it.
But not to its preposterous premise. The fact that people are earnestly debating the merits of it, or the rest of your preposterous threads, is what has me scratching my head. But I will say it reinforces my sense of relief that Politics and Other Controversies has its own leper colony away from the rest of the forums.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 AM

900 posts, read 669,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Hm... hopefully any liberal reading this sees the difference between the 'intolerance' in Uganda and the 'intolerance' in the USA.

And ... I'd say the 'intolerance' for gay marriage rights in the USA is not that bad and I'd guess that we won't see mass gay exodus from this country anytime soon.

I'm guessing you've never been to any of the Scandanavian countries.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:14 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,687,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I strongly disagree. It would take some incredible mental gymnastics to convince myself that the U.S. respects gays better than anyone else in the world. That just doesn't make sense.

And it's not a choice, so quit saying that it is - unless you don't mind sounding uneducated on the subject.

And who is this "we" you speak of? Five states allow same-sex marriage, and in both Maine and California, nearly half the population voted to keep it legal. Do you believe that nearly half the population of those states is gay?

This isn't an "us versus them" debate to me; maybe you see it that way, though. I think it's sad if you do.
It may or may not be a choice to have homosexual feelings, but it most certainly is a choice to act out on them. I may find a woman attractive, but I choose not to act out on it. Of course the big difference between the two is that I know infidelity and rape are wrong, but you don't believe gay sex is wrong.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
It may or may not be a choice to have homosexual feelings, but it most certainly is a choice to act out on them. I may find a woman attractive, but I choose not to act out on it.
I believe BigV was saying that people choose to be gay. That's what I was addressing. Why you needed to make the point that people choose to act on their sexual interests, I'm not sure; you certainly were stating the obvious.

What is disconcerting (to put it nicely) is that you appear to be equating gay sex with infidelity and rape.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
I'm guessing you've never been to any of the Scandanavian countries.
Please. He doesn't need to have visited a Scandinavian country to know how gays are treated there. He could read it about it. Hell - he could learn a little something about our neighbor to the north (Canada) and find out how gays are treated better there than they are here.

Even bigger than the marriage issue, the fact that our military can't handle openly gay soldiers is embarrassing. It makes us look very immature.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,147,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Even bigger than the marriage issue, the fact that our military can't handle openly gay soldiers is embarrassing. It makes us look very immature.

I have had the opportunity to speak with Marines (from Camp Pendleton) about their feelings about Gays serving (openly) in a combat zone. Frankly, I have never heard any of the men, or women, supporting gays serving in combat. I have heard that "perhaps" stateside, on a base where they are not so close quartered. But, in a war zone? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies