Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:57 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This much I can tell you about the election of 2000 and Florida: my parents were living in Palm Beach County at the time (you remember Palm Beach County: that was where the ubiquitous "chads" made their appearance on the national stage).

Two months after the election, when all the votes were counted up nice and quietly, it turned out that Al Gore had won. This was generally not given a lot of publicity. But had Gore not conceded, the Floridian electoral votes added to his column--and, simultaneously, subtracted from Bush--would have given him the election.

By rights, George W. Bush was not elected President in 2000. But, as we say in my corner of the land, waddaya gonna do? You can't turn back the clock.
Not true. Bush was always ahead in the vote count in Florida. Even when the Gore camp tried to throw out the overseas absentee military votes. Even when the Florida Supreme Court extended the certification deadline. And even when the endless hand recounts went on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:18 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
This much I can tell you about the election of 2000 and Florida: my parents were living in Palm Beach County at the time (you remember Palm Beach County: that was where the ubiquitous "chads" made their appearance on the national stage).

Two months after the election, when all the votes were counted up nice and quietly, it turned out that Al Gore had won. This was generally not given a lot of publicity. But had Gore not conceded, the Floridian electoral votes added to his column--and, simultaneously, subtracted from Bush--would have given him the election.

By rights, George W. Bush was not elected President in 2000. But, as we say in my corner of the land, waddaya gonna do? You can't turn back the clock.
again I say this becuase there were so many irregurlarities in 2000 in Florida and since I voted I watched as how many black precints in Miami didn't even open until 3PM.
I recall getting a phone call from one of my friends who is black & in law enforcement asking me if I knew why his precint wasn't opened.
There were also episodes of black voters being turned away in northern Florida as well.
Jeb Bush also hired a company to purge the voter rolls of ex felons and didn't have their civil rights restored which included a lot of blacks.
Lastly I will never believe that thousands of Jews in Palm Beach county voted for Pat Buchanan on that butterfly ballot!
In a state that cast 6 million votes Bush supposedly won by 537 votes! Obama won Florida by over a quarter of a million votes!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:

It wasn't given much publicity, but YOU have the inside scoop? Really.....

Actually, by rights he WAS elected president, sworn in, and served. Bush Derangement Syndrome isn't changing that.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 PM

82 posts, read 80,675 times
The bigger question is how would our economy be if Barack Obama didn't have ACORN steal the election for him?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:20 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post

since bush did not steal anything at all, just that gore wanted to make like he would have won the state, the same sort of actions would have happened as they did now.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:48 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Its nice that newsweek as the ability see different realities and they call this journalism. What are they smoking?
Fact is History becomes histroy because it is something that has already happened. (LIKE THE PAST) Liberals live in the past because in the present and future with golden boy Obama he still sends more troops just like BUSH!
What they should do is ask how Bush won in 2004 AGAIN and stop trying to figure out why GORE didnt win. Since Bush was so bad and he STOLE the election you couldnt even win with KERRY!
Since we can all smoke some of newsweeks hash and magically create a different histroy and reality.
GORE would have went to war and still spent the Trillions and probably would have declared global warming was a new religion. How do I know this?
Clinton seemed to like to bomb Iraq.. :-) Intel from Iraq came from Clintons time as president. Gore was VP and seemed to have no problem telling us that in the 2000 election when it came to threats.
You decide.
PS vietnam was entered by a Democrat.
Bush acted just like a democrat and said so when he found more things in common with democrats then republicans. Fiscal, social and immgration.
Neocon career interventionist just happened to find someone stupid like Bush to go along with there ideas of nation building. The one thing BUSH said in 2000 before he was ELECTED he wasnt going to do.
Guess who was nation building GORE and Clinton in somila, bosnia... do you remember those idelogies and where it got us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies