Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?
Yes, for murder as well as other serious crimes (such as rape) 53 36.55%
Yes, but only for convicted murderers 40 27.59%
No, I instead support life imprisonment 52 35.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,709,366 times

Advertisements

In 1976 the Supreme Court in Gregg v. Georgia allowed the states to resume the use of capital punishment for murderers. Every state except for Alaska, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia wrote a death penalty statute.

Recently though, the legislature in some states are considering repealing their statutes as in New Jersey and New Mexico, or as in the case of Kansas, New York, and Massachusetts the judiciary are declaring it unconstitutional. In addition several states such as Illinois, North Carolina, Florida, and Maryland have enacted moratoria on capital punishment (some of which have already been lifted) for a number of reasons. Where do you stand on the death penalty?

States with Death Penalty Statutes

Color key:
No current death penalty statute
Statute or method declared unconstitutional
Not applied since 1976
Has performed execution since 1976
States with highest number of executions since 1976:

1. Texas-446
2. Virginia-105
3. Oklahoma-91
4. Florida-68
5. Missouri-67
6. Georgia-46
7. Alabama-44
8. North Carolina-43
9. South Carolina-42
10. Ohio-32

States with highest number of current (as of this post) death row inmates:

1. California-678
2. Florida-402
3. Texas-357
4. Pennsylvania-226
5. Alabama-207
6. Ohio-181
7. North Carolina-167
8. Arizona-129
9. Georgia-109
10. Tennessee-92

See also: Capital punishment in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice the large discrepancy between number of death inmates and actual executions for many states. I suppose this mainly has to do with political ideology.

Last edited by Bo; 12-06-2009 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: This issue is too controversial to discuss in General US, so it was moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,139,485 times
The death penalty is America is a holy cow. Americans are bloodthirsty.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 AM

2,713 posts, read 6,079,389 times
I'm for it in extreme cases such as serial killers, someone who has raped and killed a child...etc. IMO those people are not human.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,709,366 times
Oh yeah, my view is that capital punishment should be abolished. Life imprisonment without parole has the same outcome upon society as the death penalty--the convict never has a chance to commit the crime again, and taking away his/her freedom for the rest of their lives is adequate punishment. The death penalty is cruel and seems to be more of an outlet for revenge. The "an eye for an eye" mentality isn't approriate in deciding sentences for criminals.

I noticed that the map key didn't turn out properly above, here it is again:

blue- No current death penalty statute
orange- Statute or method declared unconstitutional
green- Not applied since 1976
red- Has performed execution since 1976

Old 12-02-2009, 11:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,468,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm for it in extreme cases such as serial killers, someone who has raped and killed a child...etc. IMO those people are not human.
Similar here. I don't know if I would say they aren't human, but they're lives of "negative value" so to speak. Still I would tend to limit it to the most extreme cases, particularly where a person has a repeated tendency to kill or rape.

Of late I have considered the idea of "Life in Supermax" as maybe being better. The problem is I think that would be just as likely to be seen as "cruel and inhumane" or maybe more likely to be so seen. Or they'd waffle and release them early rather than really keeping them in until their life or capacity ends. (If some blind elderly serial-killer in a wheelchair was released to a secure nursing facility they're might not be too much risk, although I guess they could still bite people)

However shouldn't this be in Politics or Great Debates?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,560,597 times
The problem I have with the death penalty is how long it takes them to carry it out.

Give them a max of 2 appeals to be done within 2 years of original sentencing.

Oh, and make it painful.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,449,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Yes Sir; I'm with ya here.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,929,211 times
I'm all for it in cases of murder, child rape (under 12) and treason.

Not for adult rape though, there is too much of a history with racism with adult rape sentences not to mention how broad the rape statutes are. Would not want to see a 18 year old sentenced to death for having a 16 year old girlfriend.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,616,460 times
I am for the abolishment of the death penalty. I favor life inprissonment without the chance for parole. Several notes about it:

1) Innocent people have been executed. Even if this just happend once, it is a travesty that cannot be over looked. People who have done nothing wrong have been murdered by their government. I realize this isnt the rule, its the exception, but even if it happend just once, its unacceptable.

2) It costs more to sentence someone to death than imprision them for life.

3) The US is the only fully developed country that has the death penalty. Even most developing countries are abolishing it. When the rest of the civilized world says its wrong, maybe we should question it.

4) It doesnt exist as a determent. If it does, then why does the US have such a high violent crime rate compared to a country like Canada, the UK, Australia, or Germany?
The death penalty is there so that the victims family can watch the person who caused them so much pain die.

I am against the death penalty, but if it has to be there, I hope they will at least make it for cases that have DNA evidence only.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,731,734 times
Agree with th3vault. Also agree that the process needs to be sped up a bit. As for the same outcome for society, I have to dis-agree with that; Life in prison without a chance for parole is an expensive sentence for the State to deal with. Where does the State come up with the money for prisons? State and federal taxes, which cost society in the long run. Why should society pay for a violent criminal to have 3 hots and a cot, plus better access to health care than most of the taxpaying public can afford? Death penalty costs? - Red is positive, black is negative; couple kilowatts of electricity at an average of 12 cents a kilowatt and the costs are over and done with. I know what they are now, but I am also aware of what they SHOULD be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies