Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,074,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Really, you think so? I think it's going overboard for an employer to fire someone because they're gay & then pansy around the real reason for the firing by thinking up "a hundred different ways" to get rid of that person. I wonder if you'd feel this blase about it if someone were fired for the religion they followed. Afterall, that's a lifestyle for many.
See, this is the precise problem with liberalism. Your response doesn't even accurately portray what I wrote. I didn't say that I'd fire you because you're gay. I said that if "I didn't like you." But in the mind of a liberal, those words are automatically translated into "it's because i'm gay."

And you folks expect any of us to take your arguments seriously?

A law targeting a specific lifestyle has no teeth. A plethora of other laws protects my ability to fire you. See my point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:30 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,554,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The same question applies. Do you know of anyone that has been fired simply because they were a Christian?

A whole bunch of what-if's is purely a function of liberal ideology.

My belief is that you go to work to work. Your lifestyle should never be a part of the equation. I don't believe that these protections are necessary, and i'm merely pointing out that these laws have absolutely no teeth, when I can find a hundred other reasons to fire you.
Why is it always "liberal this" and "liberal that" with you? Seriously?

I just asked you a question. NOTHING to do with gay. Should I say this is how the "conservative mind" works? They see things that are not there?

I know one person who think she was fired for her Christian faith. Who knows if it is real or not. And if it is then I do no agree with it. She should not have been fired for being Christian just like NO ONE should be fired for being gay.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,440,972 times
Quote:
Jeffrey Boy, its time to get out the dictionary and a law book. When you get a chance, put Homomania to the side for a moment and look up "bigot" and "right to work laws." I can assure you the law is on my side.
Actually that was my point.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,770,334 times
What if a company from Dubai bought Boeing or GM, should they be able to fire all non-muslim employees?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Why is it always "liberal this" and "liberal that" with you? Seriously?

I just asked you a question. NOTHING to do with gay. Should I say this is how the "conservative mind" works? They see things that are not there?

I know one person who think she was fired for her Christian faith. Who knows if it is real or not. And if it is then I do no agree with it. She should not have been fired for being Christian just like NO ONE should be fired for being gay.
This is precisely my point. She doesn't know if she was fired for being a Christian, therefore she can't say she was. She CAN say she was fired for whatever reason her employer told her. Further, it should be a lesson for her that whatever religious activitiy came to the attention of management should not be displayed at future jobs. See how it works? You go to work to work. Call on Allah or Jesus or Rupaul, and you may find yourself in bad company with the boss. Bad company with the boss only puts you in a position for him/her to wait for you to screw up in other ways. When you screw up, you get fired. See how these laws have no teeth? But liberals drool all over themselves waiting for such nonsense to pass.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:39 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,262,609 times
Quote:
See, this is the precise problem with liberalism. Your response doesn't even accurately portray what I wrote. I didn't say that I'd fire you because you're gay. I said that if "I didn't like you." But in the mind of a liberal, those words are automatically translated into "it's because i'm gay."

And you folks expect any of us to take your arguments seriously?

A law targeting a specific lifestyle has no teeth. A plethora of other laws protects my ability to fire you. See my point?
Who exactly are you calling "you folks"? Sure, actually my response is an accurate portrayal. See, what you may not know or you may know it & are just being deliberately roundabout about it is that there are employers aplenty out there who find out an employee is gay & will go thru loopholes finding various other reasons to fire that person in case that person were to ever sue them---they cover their butts in other words. I know, shocking, but it happens. Now w/your other post regarding someone getting fired for being a christian? Surely you're aware that religious affiliation is protected under law, you cannot fire someone for their religion. I'm sure you're aware of this being a business owner, yes? And if that's the case, why are you against someone's sexual orientation being protected as well.....unless of course you're one of those employers who would fire someone for being gay & then insist it were for "other" reasons. I'm thinking perhaps that's the accurate reason.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
What if a company from Dubai bought Boeing or GM, should they be able to fire all non-muslim employees?
First of all, the scenario is impossible, so it merits very little consideration.

But workplace laws are only one avenue for workers to seek refuge. When it comes down to it, the Constitution itself would provide plenty of ammunition for those non-muslims to seek reparation.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Who exactly are you calling "you folks"? Sure, actually my response is an accurate portrayal. See, what you may not know or you may know it & are just being deliberately roundabout about it is that there are employers aplenty out there who find out an employee is gay & will go thru loopholes finding various other reasons to fire that person in case that person were to ever sue them---they cover their butts in other words. I know, shocking, but it happens. Now w/your other post regarding someone getting fired for being a christian? Surely you're aware that religious affiliation is protected under law, you cannot fire someone for their religion. I'm sure you're aware of this being a business owner, yes? And if that's the case, why are you against someone's sexual orientation being protected as well.....unless of course you're one of those employers who would fire someone for being gay & then insist it were for "other" reasons. I'm thinking perhaps that's the accurate reason.
I don't know how to be any more clear.

Laws that protect a targeted lifestyle are "feel-good" laws. Employers have the upper-hand, even with such laws in place. I really don't give a damn if gays are protected. My whole argument is that such laws do nothing except protect against the most blatant of discrimination. That's it. Nothing more. If an employer doesn't like you, for whatever reason, and you are not party to a collective bargaining agreement, he/she can dismiss you.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:49 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,262,609 times
Quote:
I don't know how to be any more clear.

Laws that protect a targeted lifestyle are "feel-good" laws. Employers have the upper-hand, even with such laws in place. I really don't give a damn if gays are protected. My whole argument is that such laws do nothing except protect against the most blatant of discrimination. That's it. Nothing more. If an employer doesn't like you, for whatever reason, and you are not party to a collective bargaining agreement, he/she can dismiss you.
Shrug....whatever, protecting religion is feel good too but no one seems to have a problem w/that, do they? In fact, you've been asked a number of times about that situation & have yet to answer.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,073,314 times
Imagine if you showed up at a company party with your spouse and there were all these "oh-no you don'ts" and you were fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies