Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Besides, as in all states, conservatives outnumber liberals in New York, so in that respect, it's a myth that New York is a liberal state.
Riiiggghhhtttt. When's the last time she voted red?

I love this! NY is now a conservative state! Hilarious!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,189,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Just terrible. I have no other words for it.
I did but had my post deleted as a personal attack, I stand by what I said though.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:36 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,189,286 times

Old 12-02-2009, 03:41 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, then as of today, I'd say New York should be considered a little more conservative than it was yesterday.
It always has been. Keep in mind, also that this was not voted on by the people of New York. Having said that, and I can only speak for the city and not the rest of the state (which is vastly different than NYC), not everyone who speaks liberally acts liberally.

I will leave my opinions on this issue out of this and just say that at least in NYC, there is a kind of bully mentality that makes people in groups "out-liberal" each other. It's part of the networking thing that people here do when they have to worry about keeping up with everyone else. When larger groups break down and you start talking to people as individuals, you find that a lot of the time people aren't as passionate about the issues, and may not even take the same side of the issues that they took in the larger group.

Again, I am not going to bring my own opinions on this issue into this. I don't post on this forum enough these days to stick around and argue with people, and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone when I say that. All I am saying is, if and when the people of New York actually get to vote on this, it's not a sure thing for gay marriage. For all of the ultra-liberal citizens around here, and there are many, there are just as many who are just keeping up appearances. There is a lot more conservatism here than people might think.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Now this is a shocker.

What the hell happened? Don't democrats have a large majority?

I have an idea - put it up to a state-wide vote.
No. In the State Assembly they do, and it passed the State Assembly 89-52. However, this was in the State Senate where the Dems hold a 32-30 advantage

Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
For all of the ultra-liberal citizens around here, and there are many, there are just as many who are just keeping up appearances. There is a lot more conservatism here than people might think.
Absolutely. And that's why I pointed out the survey from Gallup. New York is a moderate state, not a liberal one.

In the U.S., we have conservative states and we have moderate states. We have no liberal states, unless you count Washington, D.C. There's not one state in the union where liberals outnumber moderates or conservatives.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,085,023 times
Great news for society!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Great news for society!
Oh yeah. New York will now be a holy place again.

The good news (for those who support same-sex marriage) is that this is just a technicality, really. New York already recognizes same-sex marriages that are performed in other states.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:52 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. And that's why I pointed out the survey from Gallup. New York is a moderate state, not a liberal one.

In the U.S., we have conservative states and we have moderate states. We have no liberal states, unless you count Washington, D.C. There's not one state in the union where liberals outnumber moderates or conservatives.

Some of the 08 exit polls show something a bit different. Also the term moderate varies by state. For example someone who identifies themselves as a moderate in NY, Massachusetts or Vermont is likely well to the left of someone who describes themselves as a moderate in Mississippi, Alabama or Louisiana.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Some of the 08 exit polls show something a bit different. Also the term moderate varies by state. For example someone who identifies themselves as a moderate in NY, Massachusetts or Vermont is likely well to the left of someone who describes themselves as a moderate in Mississippi, Alabama or Louisiana.
Oh, I know, but that's the problem with these terms. Some conservatives will call a state liberal simply for electing a Democrat. It's a tactic that they've successfully used for many years: Call anyone who votes for Democrats a "liberal" in an attempt to marginalize them and make them seem like they're out of the mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies