U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:58 AM

32,977 posts, read 26,534,032 times
The baby boomers principal effect on the American economy was to shift us from a manufacturing based economy to a financialized economy specializing in speculative loans and consumer credit. The principal effect on our culture was to bring the era of individual aggrandizement and close out an era of shared sacrifice. The baby boomers also instituted a huge government subsidized military economy and an era of constant low level imperial war that has nearly destroyed both our economy and our souls. We also started to remove coal and oil from our electric power supply system but eventually stopped under pressure from the fossil fuel industry. Those are the main things accomplished by the most privileged generation to ever live.

Of lesser importance to the money brigade were extending civil rights to most everyone and improving education throughout America.

PS - I do not own even one video game. I spend much of my time at home reading about geology, meteorology and climate. I also watch way too much TV while reading through the commercials. FWIW I started working for my step father when I was six years old and, other than the stint in the Navy, have been working, including for my own alternate energy consulting firm, ever since.

Last edited by GregW; 12-03-2009 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: added text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 AM

9,646 posts, read 4,990,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Old people should care about us, because they are the past and we are the future. Its us who are going to take care of them and fix their mess. The baby boomers were a selfish generation who almost ruined America.
you said it was just Bush alone that ruined America.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 AM

8,412 posts, read 9,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The baby boomers principal effect on the American economy was to shift us from a manufacturing based economy to a financialized economy specializing in speculative loans and consumer credit. The principal effect on our culture was to bring the era of individual aggrandizement and close out an era of shared sacrifice. The baby boomers also instituted a huge government subsidized military economy and an era of constant low level imperial war that has nearly destroyed both our economy and our souls. We also started to remove coal and oil from our electric power supply system but eventually stopped under pressure from the fossil fuel industry. Those are the main things accomplished by the most privileged generation to ever live.

Of lesser importance to the money brigade were extending civil rights to most everyone and improving education throughout America.
If they did all of that they must be some pretty powerful people...I think I'll go hide under my bed.....You be sure and let me know when all of those boomers are gone, OK...

Old 12-03-2009, 10:04 AM

7,405 posts, read 2,812,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
That guy FOX news interviewed named "Chris Stergalas"? I know him.

I have heard several users saying that they "don't care what the younger generation has to say".

Well, listen up. He is 20. And I am 21. We are trying to make our voices heard NOW! The future of this great nation belongs to US!

FOX interview: Neighbors At Odds Over X-Mas Display (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/latest_video/Neighbors_At_Odds_Over_X_Mas_Display - broken link)
I have mixed feelings about your friend's Christmas display. On one hand I support his freedom of expression but on the other hand, I find it a little sad that parents who see it with their little kids have to explain it's meaning to them. Children are young and naive for such a short time now days, I hate to see their Christmas joy diluted with mixed messages. I feel the same way about the Pro-lifers who use Memorial Day for political purposes by putting images of dead babies and/or crosses all over their lawns which isn't uncommon where I live. There's such a thing as good taste.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 AM

11,423 posts, read 3,926,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

So baby boomer's did not leave America in the Dark Ages when technology changed. Guess we should not have came up with technology
So the baby Boomer's defended the nation during the cold war and prevented nuclear war.Guess we should have let Russia win the cold war.
And we extended civil rights and improved education.

god we were awful, we defended the country raised technology and the jobs that came with it opened up civil rights and improved eduction.

Moderator cut: Personal Attacks

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-03-2009 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 AM

8,301 posts, read 2,693,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Old people should care about us, because they are the past and we are the future. Its us who are going to take care of them and fix their mess. The baby boomers were a selfish generation who almost ruined America.
You are confusing the "Baby Boomers" who were born between 1946 -1964 with their parents. It is the baby boomers parents who have reaped all the benefits of Medicare and Social Security to date. Baby Boomers have not yet reached the age of 65 in order to receive any benefits from Medicare or Social Security.

Baby boomers are concerned that benefits won't be there for the long run (like it had been for their parents) when they retire. That is why it is a dire issue today - Medicare can not be sustained as it stands today when the "masses" of Baby Boomers come to collect - first beginning in 2011.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 AM

2,435 posts, read 3,216,823 times
Loved it.

+1 to the author just for knowing this guy.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Just a few famous baby boomers from 1946-1964:

Bill Clinton 42nd President
George W Bush - 43rd President
Jessie Ventura - ex Governor (MN)
Oprah Winfrey talk show host
Jon Stewart - talk show host
Michael Moore filmmaker
Spike Lee - filmmaker
Oliver Stone - film maker
Michael Jackson - musician
Bruce Springsteen - musician
Madonna - musician
Sally Ride astronaut
Bill H. Gates Microsoft
Maya Lin - sculptor - Vietnam Veterans Memorial - Washington D.C.

And yes, even Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, & Glenn Beck
are baby boomers

Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
That guy FOX news interviewed named "Chris Stergalas"? I know him.

I have heard several users saying that they "don't care what the younger generation has to say".

Well, listen up. He is 20. And I am 21. We are trying to make our voices heard NOW! The future of this great nation belongs to US!

FOX interview: Neighbors At Odds Over X-Mas Display (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/latest_video/Neighbors_At_Odds_Over_X_Mas_Display - broken link)
I think Christmas is a perfect time to make a moral argument for Universal Health Care

Old 12-03-2009, 01:24 PM

8,640 posts, read 4,718,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I respectfully disagree. In this age of computers young people are far better informed about issues like health care than any previous generations have been about the issues of their times. When I was young we got much of our news at the local movie theater in between the double features on Saturday afternoon.
I beg to differ. On this health care there is no one that knows everything in this bill that the Democrats have behind lock and key yet they scream and cry in support of it. They have no idea what they are supporting. We know hussein obama, Pelosi and Reid will say one thing out one side of their mouth and say something else out the other side. hussein obama has repeatedly said the health care would cost 900 billion but low and behold it is going to cost $2.5 TRILLION! This news just came out.

Video: Baucus Admits Obamacare Costs $2.5 Trillion The Foundry

You can bet there will be more by this administration of con men. What is wrong with these hussein obama supporters that have no desire for truth or disclosier? They support things like sheep. You would think they would at least question why this health care bill is being kept in a locked room. There is no reason other then bad news. We should ALL demand complete disclosier! It's our medical care we are talking about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies