Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
They used Social Security to fund a campaign?
I have to say, that was funny... Liberals have no problem with SS being a ponzi scheme but when corrupt businesses set them up, they have a problem.... I don't draw a distinction, both are Ponzi schemes and both should be illegal... I hope I can withdraw all the money I put into SS before I die... the government is betting I won't... biggest Ponzi scheme ever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:36 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,214,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I have to say, that was funny... Liberals have no problem with SS being a ponzi scheme but when corrupt businesses set them up, they have a problem.... I don't draw a distinction, both are Ponzi schemes and both should be illegal... I hope I can withdraw all the money I put into SS before I die... the government is betting I won't... biggest Ponzi scheme ever...
Exactly how is SS a Ponzi scheme in your view?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Norman Hsu is spending quite a while as a guest of the state and he contributed almost a million to Clinton. I am not sure it is the responsibility of any politician to do a background check on alll their donors. Alex Sink is the CFO of the state of Florida, running for governor. So what?
And a Democrat.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:37 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post

Before you go off topic, do you understand why this is no story. The Dems are on the hook for 200K as well. What do you think of that? Still breathless?

Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,059 times
Quote:
And a Democrat.
Exactly why this no story. Both Dems and Republicans were fooled by this guy. Also why this is a dihonest thread title. Really pathetic. The original poster ran away.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Did you read the link?

The link also referenced a $200,000 contribution to the Florida Democrat Party. What do you have,...selective reading comprehension? Oh,...the democrats only got $200,000,...so that doesn't count. I see where you're coming from.

Did you read the link about charitable contributions? Does that make all the charities corrupt? After all, the charities were given more than even the republicans. Damned republican charities....
I believe I said earlier that this is about CORRUPTION......not about Republican haters.

Yes, I read the link and all associated stories with it. I never said that the dontations to Democrats didn't count. As a matter of fact, I pointed out Alex Sink.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Exactly why this no story. Both Dems and Republicans were fooled by this guy. Also why this is a dihonest thread title. Really pathetic. The original poster ran away.
Republicans were the reciepients of the largest amount of political donations........therefore, the thread title is accurate in terms of South Florida. It is definitely not a "no-story"...........unless you are so jaded that you just blow off such things as this as typical politics, and move on without a second thought. That kind of attitude allows these things to go on and on and on and on.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Quote:
A Ponzi scheme is putting money in and expecting more money to come out... money is supposedly invested and protected when in fact it is SPENT by those who manage it for a lavish lifestyle...

SS is putting money in and expecting more money to come out BUT if you die, you get bumpkiss... the money isn't invested entirely, it is being SPENT for things completely UNRELATED to SS... wow... isn't that what Madoff did with his Ponzi scheme... the money in SS is NOT protected... attempts to try to protect it have FAILED... it is a Ponzi scheme because they refuse to use it solely for SS or SS-related things... and they want you to DIE before you collect by increasing the age of when you can collect... it's such a great program they are thinking about INCREASING how much you pay into it and get NO increases back... how is it NOT a ponzi?... hahaha

Old 12-03-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Before you go off topic, do you understand why this is no story. The Dems are on the hook for 200K as well. What do you think of that? Still breathless?
I'm not being off topic when I ask someone who made a post about SS being a Ponzi scheme exactly how they come to that conclusion.

The title of this thread is:

Republican campaigns funded through a ponzi scheme

And that title is exactly correct. REPUBLICAN CAMPAIGNS were, in fact, funded in South Florida by money from a Ponzi scheme .............the Rothstein ponzi scheme whereby he sold fake legal settlements to investors.

You seem to be the one breathless to have an argument to defend Republicans by attacking Democrats.......so, try to step back and not look for a fight where there is none.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
A Ponzi scheme is putting money in and expecting more money to come out... money is supposedly invested and protected when in fact it is SPENT by those who manage it for a lavish lifestyle...

SS is putting money in and expecting more money to come out BUT if you die, you get bumpkiss... the money isn't invested entirely, it is being SPENT for things completely UNRELATED to SS... wow... isn't that what Madoff did with his Ponzi scheme... the money in SS is NOT protected... attempts to try to protect it have FAILED... it is a Ponzi scheme because they refuse to use it solely for SS or SS-related things... and they want you to DIE before you collect by increasing the age of when you can collect... it's such a great program they are thinking about INCREASING how much you pay into it and get NO increases back... how is it NOT a ponzi?... hahaha
First of all, with SS no one is being MISLED, a basic element of a real ponzi scheme. Read this:

"Social Security is exactly what it claims to be: A mandatory transfer payment system under which current workers are taxed on their incomes to pay benefits, with no promises of huge returns."

Why Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme - Jan. 7, 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies