Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
How come its always poor kids like me getting drafted to fight these things?
Remind your dad there's no longer a draft. We have an all volunteer force. The best in the world. God bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM

10,832 posts, read 14,924,206 times
As a veteran I am most disturbed by the wannabees who seem to have been characterized by Hollywood as the typical Vietnam veteran.

Did you know as a group the percentage of Vietnam veterans with college degrees is higher than the same age group that never served?

Did you know the average income for a Vietnam veteran is higher than the average income of the same age group that never served? Didn't know that, did you?

Did you know the rate of drug use for Vietnam veterans is less than the rate of drug use for non-veterans of the same age group that never served?

Did you know that rate of homelessness for Vietnam veterans is lower than non-veterans of the same age group that never served?

And most shocking, did you know the rate for mental illness is less for Vietnam veterans than for non-veterans of the same age group that never served?

John Kerry and Jane Fonda stole the glory and honor of the American Vietnam veteran with their bogus "Winter Soldier" project where anyone could claim to be a veteran telling any outrageous story and did. On investigation it was found most of the men telling the story never served in the military much less the military in Vietnam.

My Lai for many is considered "typical" while in reality it was an aberration.

Most of my time I spent with Charlie company humping the area west of Bien Hoa air base 20 miles north of Saigon. Let me tell you the men I was with would not have tolerated rape or murder for one second. We took some prisoners and I never witnessed one being mistreated in any way but to listen to Hollywood we tortured each and every one.

During my year there every man I served with served with honor and Americans can be proud of them.

For vets my base camp was DiAn and I was in III corps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies