Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:55 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I wonder about the private business owner who had to close his doors because he couldn't afford the taxes to satisfy the whims of government officials.
Why would a business close because of taxation? That doesn't make a bit of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I've lived in Texas for many years and some of the Republican public officials there are worse than the Democrats in cronyism and kickbacks. Most are penny wise, pound foolish.
Indeed you are exactly right. I am a native Texan drawn back to the State by family connections. I like to tell my family who has remained in the State their whole llife, that they are frogs placed in cold water, then heated to boil, and I am the frog thrown back into boiling water.

They like to say in Bailey County, "it's not who you know, but who you bl_w" but as we like to say in Texas, "please pardon my French."

Old 12-03-2009, 01:29 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Business owners highlight their problems and solutions.
The reason they are not hiring is because they are apprehensive of an 0bama administration that is hostile to private enterprise and capitalism. The future is very uncertain, with threats of new tax legislation, the devaluing of the dollar, the projected deficits and debt, the threat of rising interest rates and inflation, unemployment and a congress that seems to be trying to spend the country in the stone-age.

We can not keep bailing out reckless, poor performing companies, and not expect it to cause instability in the free market. Why bust your ass as a company, if making sacrifices and operating responsibly, gets you a slap in the face, when the government keeps subsidizing your deadbeat competitor with taxpayer money? How can you plan for the future if good business practices no longer matter, because the 0bama administration is picking the winners and losers?

0bama and his administration create a market environment of unease and uncertainty. Every other week or so, either 0bama, someone in his administration, or one of his czars threatens new federal mandates, punishments, impositions, increased taxes or some new expansion of federal powers into the private market. You cannot plan your business future while 0bama dangles a trillion dollars in new healthcare and cap & trade taxes over your head for a year.

The Waxman-Markey bill admits it will cause massive unemployment, and raise the cost of living, so how can you plan to hire new employees while the threat of that bill hangs in the air? How can you loan money to a person or a business if that legislation may put that person out of work, or cause that business to fail?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:34 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The reason they are not hiring is because they are apprehensive of an 0bama administration that is hostile to private enterprise and capitalism.
Where have you heard business owners saying this? They seem to blame a lack of credit access as being their main problem.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I wonder if the people who will build the swimming pool feel the same way...
Oh and now that the pool is finished I wonder what jobs they have ..oh and I wonder who paid for that pool? How about the taxpayers that maybe underemployed and strapped for cash right now.

Typical Government waste.

think.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I wonder if the people who will build the swimming pool feel the same way...
All 17 of them?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
TX has a reputation (perhaps unearned) for fiscal conservatism and a pro-business attitude, CA does not. That's not inherantly a D vs R thing. Not sure why you would think that it is???
And I also agree with you Toyman. This Texas county is strongly Republican but they seem not to be as pro-business as they are pro-status quo. It's been a tough one for me to figure except that I do know that even Democrats in the County also agree that the taxes are very high for the small amount of services provided.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
All 17 of them?
Actually, it's likely less than that.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I'm located not far from where they build Air Tractors but, from my perspective here in west Texas, the underlying problem lies in the fact that people who have any dollars are holding on to them because they are not sure they will get more.

However, the greatest of all barriers to future growth anywhere are taxes and the unknown direction and costs of new regulations. As a small example, last month I had an extra $3,500 that I wanted to use to purchase some used agricultural equipment from a local dealership. Instead I had to send the money to Bailey County, Texas for property taxes whose tax rates compete for some of Texas' highest. This particular Texas county elected to build a million dollar public swimming pool during one the worst reccessions in American history. Our political leaders have grown either stupid or greedy. I'll not try to guess which it is but it they who stand in the way of job creation.
Absolutely people are holding onto their money. With such business killing legislation on the table as Crap and Tax and Obamacare, businesses are waiting on the sidelines to see how all this plays out.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
KoT

103 posts, read 186,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Where have you heard business owners saying this? They seem to blame a lack of credit access as being their main problem.
Not sure about the lack of credit access in my area, but two of my friends own businesses, one small and one large, and they talk about not wanting to hire right now because they are afraid they will have to lay off who they hire because of tax increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies