Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:49 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times

Advertisements

I know I will catch a lot of flak for this, but the majority of women I knew in the military used that gender flag to get special treatment, to gain favors, to get excused from doing "the dirty jobs", and pretty much, whenever things got tough they were quick to find a way to use their gender to get preferential treatment.

I'm not excusing rape, that is never acceptable behavior. As to sexual harassment, many women used the most benign circumstances to claim sexual harassment where none existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:52 PM

24 posts, read 55,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Just males.....don't want to know if they are gay.
women should have their own army, at least if they fought in a war they wouldn't go around raping women and children. They wouldn't let their libido get in the way of doing their job. Which is something men find impossible to do.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:05 PM

24 posts, read 55,676 times
Rape in the U.S. military -- latimes.com

Quote:

Rape in the U.S. military

How a fraternal culture and a habit of blaming the victim leave sexual violence unexamined and unpunished.

Anne K. Ream's recent Op-Ed sheds much needed light on how the U.S. military continues to trivialize rape and sexual assault committed by members of the armed forces.Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-03-2009 at 02:16 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 02:12 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.mona42 View Post
When you read a story like you posted, is it any wonder why many people are against the idea of confusing the issue even more by suggesting gays, lesbians and bisexuals to serve openly?

Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I know I will catch a lot of flak for this, but the majority of women I knew in the military used that gender flag to get special treatment, to gain favors, to get excused from doing "the dirty jobs", and pretty much, whenever things got tough they were quick to find a way to use their gender to get preferential treatment.

I'm not excusing rape, that is never acceptable behavior. As to sexual harassment, many women used the most benign circumstances to claim sexual harassment where none existed.
I've worked in male dominated fields for many years (currently, I'm the only female on the maintenance team at my current job) and yes, sexual harassment is rampant wherever there are more men than women.

Yes, I have seen women first hand exaggerate sexual harassment or twist situations that are completely harmless (ie had NOTHING to do with either sexual or harassment) to get pity, transfers (this happened all the time at my last job) etc etc and I find it disgusting.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:21 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:

You're not going to catch any flack from me. I saw alot of women in the military milking the system, getting off the dirty jobs (PMS, morning sickness, whatever) and all sorts of tripe. Then if you had a gung ho female who WASN'T like that and wanted to actually learn things and work then you were public enemy number one among the other females. Been there, done that.

My current job site is male dominated, and I must say, it is the best place I've ever worked. Men are task oriented and goal focused. They're not too concerned with gossip and stupid hate games. I am only 1 of 3 females at my site and I love not having a bunch of naggy, whiney, gossipy women around.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

I've never been an advocate for men and women serving together. How can you put men and women together for long periods of time, surrounded by the shadow of "I may die any day" , and not expect attraction. Whether it be sexual assault or mutual attraction???

They say that impending doom heightens sexual urge......that whole "end of the world" phenomenon.
Rape has nothing to do with attraction.
I'm dumbfounded that you choose not to get it.

I've been in the military, I was in the same situation.
My response was never to rape anyone.

The fact that you dismiss it is akin to agreeing with it.
You seem to agree with the "turn a blind eye" to the problem.

Hopefully neither you nor anyone you every know will be raped.
Unfortunately, that's unlikely.

Here's some statistics and other resources: Statistics | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

Your next post indicated that you think it's okay for US service members (and contractors) to rape.
Nice.
Consider yourself twitted.
I'm sickened by your posts.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Does anyone have anything to say, or any of their own thoughts on this subject or are all of your thoughts encapsulated by youtube videos?

Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
When you read a story like you posted, is it any wonder why many people are against the idea of confusing the issue even more by suggesting gays, lesbians and bisexuals to serve openly?
Please.
You do know that most military members don't care about gays serving openly.
You're the one confusing the issue and apologizing for the rapists.
I guess you do think it's okay to mistreat other humans.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
You're not going to catch any flack from me. I saw alot of women in the military milking the system, getting off the dirty jobs (PMS, morning sickness, whatever) and all sorts of tripe. Then if you had a gung ho female who WASN'T like that and wanted to actually learn things and work then you were public enemy number one among the other females. Been there, done that.

My current job site is male dominated, and I must say, it is the best place I've ever worked. Men are task oriented and goal focused. They're not too concerned with gossip and stupid hate games. I am only 1 of 3 females at my site and I love not having a bunch of naggy, whiney, gossipy women around.
Generalize much?
Are you saying that you understand or agree with rape in the military?
And the cover-up that follows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies