Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 AM

65 posts, read 120,216 times

Advertisements

United States Forces Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

From 1952 to 2004, there have been approximately 200,000 accidents and crimes involving U.S. soldiers, in which 1,076 Japanese civilians have died. Over 90% of the incidents were vehicle or traffic related. [9] According to the U.S.-Japan Status of Forces Agreement U.S. personnel have partial extraterritorial right, so in most cases suspects were not arrested.[9] In 1995, the abduction and rape of a 12-year-old Okinawan schoolgirl by two U.S. Marines and one U.S. sailor led to demands for the removal of all U.S. military bases in Japan. Other controversial incidents include helicopter crashes, the Girard incident, the Michael Brown Okinawa assault incident, and the death of Yuki Uema. In February 2008, a 38-year-old U.S. Marine based on Okinawa was arrested in connection with the reported rape of a 14-year-old Japanese girl.[10] This triggered waves of protest against American military presence in Okinawa and led to tight restrictions on off-base activities.[11][12] U.S. Forces Japan designated 22 February as a Day of Reflection for all U.S. military facilities in Japan, setting up a Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Task Force in an effort to prevent similar incidents.[13]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:43 AM

Rape victim fights for justice against U.S. military, Japan | The Japan Times Online

Quote:
The bulk are petty offenses, but in one of the most notorious cases, a 12-year-old schoolgirl was raped and left for dead by three U.S. serviceman on the southern island of Okinawa, reluctant home to the bulk of U.S. military facilities in Japan. That 1995 crime shook the half-century alliance, sparking huge anti-US rallies and cries of "never again." The pleas were ignored: Last year a 14-year-old was sexually assaulted by a U.S. Marine, one of several similar attacks on Japanese and Filipino women.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Rape is an admission of weakness on the part of the rapist. The men that do this should be court marshaled and dishonorably discharged from the service after a very long jail term. They are a complete disgrace to the Service and to the US. I have been in the service and, in my outfit at least, rape was not tolerated by anyone.

Rape is also a sign of wavering discipline. This is a problem created by the failure of leadership by both commissioned and non commissioned officers. These are the people that keep the monsters under control or removed. Apparently we need better trained offices and tougher sergeants. An undisciplined force is a failed force.

This is not to say an outfit is incapable of fighting because they are not allowed to freely rape their companions or civilians. My guys were not rapists but we were quite capable of unbelievable acts of instant violence when we were ambushed. Even with that some where between 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 of us were killed or wounded in these fracases.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Rape victim fights for justice against U.S. military, Japan | The Japan Times Online

Old 12-04-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.mona42 View Post
Women make up 20% of the US military, without them we couldn't be in Iraq or Afghanistan? Agree or Disagree?

Women in the United States Military
The military is already spread thin and needs every men and women they can get.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,552,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeharnen View Post
And you have proof of this? What kinda expertise do you with teenage girls?

either way we're not talking about teenage boys or girls. we're talking about young men and women in the military.
You addressed the question in a way that you are telling me you do not agree, correct? If so, why not tell me so and then I may tell you why you did not like that statement. In other words you sounded as you took offense to it or maybe it touched some personal view, feeling, issue, etc. I do not know.

Second, is there a rule you cannot have some other point addressed if it is somewhat related to the subject in my opinion? I see that happening that all the time. For the sake of argument teenage girls and boys do grow up to adults and many join the military and some of the tendencies whether due to nature and/or nurture do remain when they become adults.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I can’t believe that so many men here are blaming the women for being raped.
Buck up fellas, women aren’t raping themselves.
Men are.

American Forces Network (AFN) has spots where they act out the scenario where women get raped walking from work to home.
If it’s a PSA, it’s at a critical number of incidences and someone’s trying to cover their butt.
Military high command from all branches of service are now producing PSAs addressing this issue.
Suicide is another issue that’s being presented in a lot of PSAs these days.

Women in the military shouldn’t have to protect themselves from men in the military.
I like how you managed to put the problem back on the women.
Ever been raped? Ever been gang-raped?

Military Entrance Requirements | USMilitary.com
Enlistment Standards
Today's Military - Entrance Requirements FAQ

I’ve checked.
Army has made its entrance requirements more lax.
HS equivalency is not required.
Criminal offenses, even violent ones, are okay.

Even if there are women in the military to rape, they still rape outside. (I know that’s not what you meant, but it still plays out the same).
Okinawa and other places in Japan are prime examples of military bearing off-post.
Some Marines seem to rape young girls in Okinawa every few years. At times, the entire island is shut down and Americans are under house arrest.

Yes, those “rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us, as well as those who would not.

I live in military communities myself, I find the same behavior. Probably not to the degree mentioned, but certainly higher than normal, especially in Army and Marine communities.
I think you need to point to where in the world "Criminal offenses, even violent, ones, are okay" in the recruiting regulations. Also what you mean by more lax. If you mean HS is not required that has nothing to do with someone being not moraly, physically, and intellectually fit to serve. Are you part of the "zero tolerance" group?
I enlisted in '78 and still serving. I cannot even claim I was at least a HS dropout becuase I never attended one to drop out from. I now have a masters degree and half way to another and so of my peer that enlisted those days and have become great Senior Noncommissioned Officers with very honorable service to the country on the battle field and great examples to young people today. Many were part of a generation when a judge told them "Young man you have a choice, jail or the Army". I am not saying we should not check on people's background but people can also go to an extreme where people do not have chances to straighten up their lives. Many did so by joining the military. There has to be some type of balance there.

Also, I read the websites and I do not know where you read something to claim "even violent ones". You need to read more closely and you will see it is written in very vague language. You need to go to the actual regulations to know exactly what it is.

Also, have you taken a young man or woman to a recruiting station for enlistment? I have. The last time it was about two months ago. The young man had one incident of possession of marijuan when he was 15, he is now 21, does not have a GED and was turned down.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Congratulations and thank you for your service Sargent Major. Via con Dios, compadre.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Congratulations and thank you for your service Sargent Major. Via con Dios, compadre.
Thanks, glad to serve you.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Well, i've lived near military bases in many different US cities and a few foreign countries. And every time, in every place, the military bases and the surrounding areas are complete cesspools of violence and other problems.

Everyone knows it too. Most people don't want to live near the base, they don't want to go to the same bars and clubs that are full of military guys, and when military guys are encountered in a dark alley it's usually trouble. Military guys are famous for two things around the bases, sexually harassing women, and starting fights with men. They are just like animals.

I am in an Asian country now and there is a huge US army base nearby and it is a complete dump. This whole entire country is very peaceful overall, but around that base it's all bad. It's a cesspool of fights, bad vibes and crazy, perverted, scummy American guys going out and raising hell. Military guys are almost always in a total jock mindset, naturally, as they should be considering the nature of the job they do.

In this country, the military guys represent America, and people's views of Americans are shaped by these guys. And they are giving the USA a terrible reputation.

These military guys are out of control and completely low-class. They have no honor, no dignity, no self-respect, they just act like total thugs.

On the other hand, the military guys who are native to this country almost always act like proud and dignified soldiers. You can tell they are trying to represent the uniform well and be respectable.

Never trust statistics. Things often don't get reported, things get swept under the rug, people are afraid of being snitches, being get intimidated out of snitching, happens all the time....

Understandably enough, I have also seen the reckless nature of men in uniform.

Before I was going off of you saying 'most' soldiers weren't respectful. Where I have been stationed, there was always a repeat-offender group of a-holes making it bad for everyone.

And that, in turn, made us all look bad. It was understood, however, that that was not the overall reflection of our unit.

Contrary to popular belief, military bases (foreign/domestic) are just like US cities...crime included unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies