Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:04 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
Hmmmm I looked at that list and I see states like, Arizona, New Mexico, California, and Hawaii near the bottom also.

So this tells me that intelligence has very little to do with North vs. ex-Confederate states OR red state vs. blue state.

Look at your list again. What do the states at the very top have in common with each other? What do the states at the very bottom have in common with each other?

I already know the answer and it is quite obvious. But of course we have to be politically correct and act as if this one obvious factor doesn't exist.
It's based on level of education. CA has some great schools, but it doesn't seem that the state is retaining its students. I'm not surprised to see MA ranking high. Not only does MA have some of the most prestigious unis in the world, but there is thriving industry as well (for now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:12 PM

207 posts, read 324,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It's based on level of education. CA has some great schools, but it doesn't seem that the state is retaining its students. I'm not surprised to see MA ranking high. Not only does MA have some of the most prestigious unis in the world, but there is thriving industry as well (for now).
Nope. That isn't what it is at all.

Think about it.

What do New Mexico, Hawaii, Alabama, and Mississippi have.....that Vermont, Iowa, Maine, and New Hampshire DO NOT have?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr99a05 View Post
Nope. That isn't what it is at all.
Then why does the link state...

" The end result is that the farther below the national average a state’s education ranking is, the lower (and less smart) it ranks. The farther above the national average, the higher (and smarter) a state ranks. This same methodology is used for our annual Healthiest State, Safest and Most Dangerous State and Safest/Dangerous City Awards. "

Am I missing something?

Quote:
Think about it.

What do New Mexico, Hawaii, Alabama, and Mississippi have.....that Vermont, Iowa, Maine, and New Hampshire DO NOT have?
Maine and New Hampshire have transplants from MA. VT? That's a surprise to be honest. They have hippies lol.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:27 PM

31 posts, read 34,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Kid-

The south has been polluted by New Yorkers. Florida used to be a nice place; now it is New York and New Jersey (south) and is a dump. The only semblence of what Florida used to be like is in the panhandle and northern Florida.

It reminds me of that old Paul Revere and the Raider's song "Kicks Keep Get'in Harder to Find".

" You see no matter what you do, you'll never run away from YOU".

Transport New York to the south, and you will get New York south. It is not the region, it is you.

This is true, although I'd posit enhanced instead of "polluted".

I hear old time NYC accents in Miami burbs that I don't often hear in Noooo Yawk anymore.

As to the rst of New York State, it'd be fair to say they are ~50 back in time, not 2000 miles south!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,624,812 times
Quote:
Let's keep the libs on the coasts and away from the rest of the population.
Yeah, like in Iowa (same-sex marriage), Illinois (Oprah and Barack Obama), Minnesota (Al Franken), Michigan (all of those labor unions), Ohio (Dennis Kucinich, Sherrod Brown), Wisconsin (Russ Feingold), etc.

Sorry, but liberals are EVERYWHERE!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 PM

30,024 posts, read 18,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yeah, like in Iowa (same-sex marriage), Illinois (Oprah and Barack Obama), Minnesota (Al Franken), Michigan (all of those labor unions), Ohio (Dennis Kucinich, Sherrod Brown), Wisconsin (Russ Feingold), etc.

Sorry, but liberals are EVERYWHERE!
Hey- it was ONE judge in Iowa. We are still sane,employed, and intelligent here. The electorate will boot the judge out this election and overturn gay marriage in the same election. Fiat from the bench does not last long here.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Hey- it was ONE judge in Iowa. We are still sane,employed, and intelligent here. The electorate will boot the judge out this election and overturn gay marriage in the same election. Fiat from the bench does not last long here.
Not sure what you mean. It was a unanimous decision by the Iowa Supreme Court that legalized same-sex marriage there.

Also, it's going to be at least two years before it can be overturned, according to this:
"A constitutional amendment in the state of Iowa has to pass through two consecutive legislative sessions with a majority vote,"

That means it would be more than two years, at the earliest, before same-sex marriage could appear on Iowa ballots.
Civil rights group working to ensure future of gay marriage - KTIV NewsChannel 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM

I'll never understand the opposition to gay marriage.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 PM

30,024 posts, read 18,596,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Not sure what you mean. It was a unanimous decision by the Iowa Supreme Court that legalized same-sex marriage there.

Also, it's going to be at least two years before it can be overturned, according to this:
"A constitutional amendment in the state of Iowa has to pass through two consecutive legislative sessions with a majority vote,"

That means it would be more than two years, at the earliest, before same-sex marriage could appear on Iowa ballots.
Civil rights group working to ensure future of gay marriage - KTIV NewsChannel 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

I am sure what I mean. The same sex marriage ruling by judicial fiat in Iowa will be overturned, as most Iowans markedly oppose the ruling. It is proposed that it will be a ballot issue in the next election. It will not stand a chance. The "civil rights groups" have no influence on intelligent people. Further, we have more money than they do and the right to buy more advertising. Good luck there. I personally know one US senator,the govenor (now- a democrat) and the next man who will be govenor (a republican). It will be overturned by the will of the people, not a single judge. That judge will need another job. It has already been arranged. It is a small state and a few well connected (thankfully sane) wealthy people determine much of state policy. Your marxist Roxanne Conlin has no support and no power among the people who make a difference. Tom Harkin, as he is now no longer on the ag committee, has little further use for the state. The out of state marxists, who finance his campaigns, may have a chance to salvage him, but not the gay rights initiative. They know where to put their money.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 12-03-2009 at 08:41 PM..

Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I am sure what I mean. The same sex marriage ruling by judicial fiat in Iowa will be overturned, as most Iowans markedly oppose the ruling. It is proposed that it will be a ballot issue in the next election. It will not stand a chance. The "civil rights groups" have no influence on intelligent people. Further, we have more money than they do and the right to buy more advertising. Good luck there. I personally know one US senator,the govenor (now- a democrat) and the next man who will be govenor (a republican). It will be overturned by the will of the people, not a single judge. That judge will need another job. It has already been arranged.
Okay, you sound very determined and angry about this, but you're essentially saying that all of the news reports about the constitutional amendment process in Iowa are wrong, and that you're right.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies