Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Did I say you questioned it? I said I was waiting for someone to question it...if it doesn't apply to you then what are you complaining about?
Understood.

I notice that nobody did question it until it was found out. Maybe that is surprising. I don't know.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:40 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Is his sex relevant? His age? His name? Where he is from? Everything about the man is relevent except his race? Think about what you're saying. It makes no sense.

- Reel
wheedle wheedle, squirm, obsfuscate....won't work.....

No, the point was a person was punched in the face....why would the perpetrator's sex be relevent....

would it be worse if a female hit him? No.

Would it be worse if he was 20..or 30....No.

Are people who think white people don't commit crimes really stupid?...Yes.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
wheedle wheedle, squirm, obsfuscate....won't work.....

No, the point was a person was punched in the face....why would the perpetrator's sex be relevent....

would it be worse if a female hit him? No.

Would it be worse if he was 20..or 30....No.

Are people who think white people don't commit crimes really stupid?...Yes.
Of course his age is important. A 70+ year old man was brutally punched in the face by a man much younger. All the facts are important and should be reported.

Why are you talking about how many crimes white people commit? You are really jumping the gun here aren't you, Mr. Sensitive?

Merely pointing out the race of a perpetrator of a crime that has nothing to do with you is somehow perceived as an insult to you. I don't get it.

- Reel

Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Of course his age is important. A 70+ year old man was brutally punched in the face by a man much younger. All the facts are important and should be reported."""

Their AGES were reported......YOU had to be sure eveyone knew skin color which is NOT important....to intelligent NON-Racist people.

Why are you talking about how many crimes white people commit? You are really jumping the gun here aren't you, Mr. Sensitive?

- Reel
I never said a word about HOW MANY crimes white people commit.....but I did make a good point about those who don't think white people commit crimes but want to point out that blacks do.....

Old 12-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
So we're going for the "he hit him because he's black" angle...has nothing to do with the fact that he was drunk...because we all know that drunk people make the best decisions as long as they're not black...can't just be a drunk man hit someone...he hit him because he's black and we all know how those black people are...animals...crazy animals that are known for stealing, raping and killing...we should lock them up in cages...better yet we should send them back to Africa before they all start punching people!
I don't believe I said that he only hit him because he is black. You said that. He didn't hit him because of his name or where he is from either. Those are just the facts of the story as is his race.

The charge of racism is designed to intimidate people from mentioning the race of perpetrators. That's why most of the stories did not mention it. They don't want to be called racist. So they will mention his age, they will mention his name, they will mention where he is from, they will mention his sex, etc. But the man's race is conspicuously absent from these stories. They say his race is not relevant. Why not report all of the facts and let the reader decide what is relevant?

- Reel

Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I never said a word about HOW MANY crimes white people commit.....but I did make a good point about those who don't think white people commit crimes but want to point out that blacks do.....
Yes you did. You said that some people think whites don't commit any crimes. Go back and read it.

- Reel

Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
Quote:
I don't believe I said that he only hit him because he is black. You said that. He didn't hit him because of his name or where he is from either. Those are just the facts of the story as is his race.

The charge of racism is designed to intimidate people from mentioning the race of perpetrators. That's why most of the stories did not mention it. They don't want to be called racist. So they will mention his age, they will mention his name, they will mention where he is from, they will mention his sex, etc. But the man's race is conspicuously absent from these stories. They say his race is not relevant. Why not report all of the facts and let the reader decide what is relevant?

- Reel
You said his race was important in this case? Why is that important unless the crime was racially motivated?

You can tapdance around this all you want to but from my end of the stick comments like yours (intentional or not) are exactly why people continue to stereotype ALL black people based on the crimes of others. For you to say that his race is relevant in this case is basically saying that he punched him because he's black...his being black automatically makes him a criminal and this is what black people do...as a black person how am I supposed to receive statements like that?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
You said his race was important in this case? Why is that important unless the crime was racially motivated?

You can tapdance around this all you want to but from my end of the stick comments like yours (intentional or not) are exactly why people continue to stereotype ALL black people based on the crimes of others. For you to say that his race is relevant in this case is basically saying that he punched him because he's black...his being black automatically makes him a criminal and this is what black people do...as a black person how am I supposed to receive statements like that?
I'm sorry that is what you think. I never said any of that. His race is one of the facts of the story and should be reported. Whether or not it's relevant is not the point. At this point who can say it was not racially motivated. It's not the job of a journalist to decide what they think is relevant. It's their job to report the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth in an unbiased manner.

- Reel

Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Of course his age is important. A 70+ year old man was brutally punched in the face by a man much younger *black man. All the facts are important and should be reported.

Merely pointing out the race of a perpetrator of a crime that has nothing to do with you is somehow perceived as an insult to you. I don't get it.

- Reel
* Denotes writer intent
Do you know that he was "brutally" punched, with malicious intent to cause serious injury? When you breathlessly report these "facts" and, of course, are quick to inject race into the argument, it would almost seem you have an ulterior motive.

For all I know, he pulled his arm away and accidentally smashed a 72 year old man in the face. I didnt read your story, just had to read the comments and wait for race to take over the conversation.

Black people get punched in the face, sometimes shot, by white people. Does that mean I'm more likely to now commit a crime too because I'm white?

Old 12-04-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
* Denotes writer intent
Do you know that he was "brutally" punched, with malicious intent to cause serious injury? When you breathlessly report these "facts" and, of course, are quick to inject race into the argument, it would almost seem you have an ulterior motive.

For all I know, he pulled his arm away and accidentally smashed a 72 year old man in the face. I didnt read your story, just had to read the comments and wait for race to take over the conversation.

Black people get punched in the face, sometimes shot, by white people. Does that mean I'm more likely to now commit a crime too because I'm white?
I've said nothing about anyone being more likely to be the victim of or perpetrate any crime. Yes, the punch was brutal. It almost killed the guy. His face was broken.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies