Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup.
I'm an old fart and I've seen it before. I knew someone who jumped on the gold bandwagon back in the late 1970's and was REALLY burned when gold prices collapsed suddenly. He ended up putting a bullet in his head (not purely because of his huge financial setback, but partially so). Gold is one of those bubble items that can drop very very quickly. Right now it's on an uptick - but it won't stay that way. I don't know WHEN it will collapse, but it WILL collapse - that's the nature of such bubbles. Over the long run gold has historically not been a very good investment.

Ken
That's because gold is money and liquidity and NOT an investment. Keep talking down gold and giving people horror stories about how people kill themselves partly over the bubble. People have lost FAR more in real estate than gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 07:01 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
If gold is a bad investment then why are China and India trading U S fiat currency for all the gold they can get their hands on?It is not just the China central bank their people are buying huge amounts.
The way I look at it they will continue that trend and gold is going to soar,if you were them,would you rather have a physical asset that has value or would you rather buy worthless U S treasury bonds backed by a fiat currency?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:02 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Nothing spells p*ss poor "investment" than a promise to pay you at 3.x% interest in 10 years time from a country with $12T in debt.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Some say $2,000. Others say $3,000 to $5,000. I bought 2 ounces at $1002. I am happy!!

I got a couple of hundred ounces at $325 an ounce. I am making out pretty good on gold.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:45 AM

65 posts, read 120,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
gold hit all time high 1200 plus,so how high will it go.
here a good gold chart.

24-hour Spot Chart - Gold

Old 12-04-2009, 07:46 AM

65 posts, read 120,182 times
damn link doesn't work.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
If gold is a bad investment then why are China and India trading U S fiat currency for all the gold they can get their hands on?
China (in particular) and India have been buying BOTH (look at how their stockpiles of US treasuries have grown over the past year). The argument that these countries are dumping US dollars for gold is pure BS. The fact is these countries have money flowing into them because of their positive balance of trade and they are simply buying ALL KINDS of investments - including US dollars AND gold and trying to diversify. One month their holdings in US dollars are up a bit, the next month they are down a bit - but the overall trend for the past year has been a massive increase in US treasuries.

In regards to the recent purchases of gold (in particular) by India - my personal opinion is that the folks there making that decision are simply caught up in the same current "gold fever" as everyone else. That's doesn't necessarily make it a wise choice in the long run.

http://treas.tpaq.treasury.gov/tic/mfh.txt (broken link)

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies