Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 02:00 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,941,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Get it through your head, wind and solar cannot compete with coal. Period. They aren't even in the ballpark. All the expansion you see into solar and wind worldwide is because governments are handing out big fat checks to do it. That's beside the fact wind and solar is and always will be a supplemental resource.
Coalman don't waste your time trying to be rational with the irrational
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 02:35 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,538,308 times
HOW TELLING IS IT THAT THE GUY WHO STARTED ALL THIS MESS WON'T BE THERE??

Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,764,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Get it through your head, wind and solar cannot compete with coal. Period. They aren't even in the ballpark. All the expansion you see into solar and wind worldwide is because governments are handing out big fat checks to do it. That's beside the fact wind and solar is and always will be a supplemental resource.
I believe that as much as i believe when Wendys tell me they have good healthy food Consider the bias in your opinion.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Coalman don't waste your time trying to be rational with the irrational

of course you find it irrational for us to move from finite resources to infinite and renewable ones. That would make way to much sense. If the time and money was put into it solar/ hydro and wind could easily supply the elctric needs of the world along with further progress in effeciency in usage and in building. Large scale solar distribution makes a whole lot more sense that putting billions of dollars into finite energy to make it cleaner and more expensive in the hope that nothing backfires with it. The sun isn't going anywhere and if it does well we are all dead anyway. exactly what stance do you take that make coal, a fossil fuel, buried in the ground, a better option than the sun? Whats dirty about the sun?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
HOW TELLING IS IT THAT THE GUY WHO STARTED ALL THIS MESS WON'T BE THERE??

perhaps so the political bs can step aside while the work of saving the planet can be talked about.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
perhaps so the political bs can step aside while the work of saving the planet can be talked about
Remember your following below post....I thought you were'nt going to waste time anymore on this forum...I guess you just can't stop spewing hatred...Ahhh...you my friend are a perfect example of typical loving and compassionate liberal....please excuse me if I...Barf!!!!!

Quote:
Reply if you Like I am done with you and done wasting my time with arrogant humans that inhabit this forum and support the ideas of humans having no bad effect on the planet. Hopefully darwins theory will eventually take care of that

Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Remember your following below post....I thought you were'nt going to waste time anymore on this forum...I guess you just can't stop spewing hatred...Ahhh...you my friend are a perfect example of typical loving and compassionate liberal....please excuse me if I...Barf!!!!!
Organik is making a lot of sense in his posts. Do you want him to stop posting because you cannot effectively counter what he is saying?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Organik is making a lot of sense in his posts. Do you want him to stop posting because you cannot effectively counter what he is saying?
with all due respect...if you had taken the time to read previous posts...i think coalman quite effectively countered all of Organik arguments...basically as I keep stating Organik and others of the same mindset fit the description of the late Michael Crichton State of fear " a near-hysterical preoccupation with safety that’s at best a waste of resources and a crimp on the human spirit, and at worst an invitation to totalitarianism"

BTW...I guess you agree with his argument that humanity is the problem and should be eliminated from this planet---which includes you!!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:53 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,379,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Follow along here, current legislation increases the cost of energy by penalizing fossil fuel energy and mandating expensive renewable energy.

Who do you think will absorb those costs? Do you think the fossil fuel industry is going to absorb them? Do you think these new tech companies are going to absorb them? Do you think you the consumer is going to absorb them?

The answer of course is you the consumer will absorb them.
Renewables are capital-intensive, with considerably lower operating costs after the initial capex is spent. It will take time to update infrastructure, and this shouldn't be done overnight. It will be a gradual shift, just as we didn't go from horse-buggies to autos overnight.

Quote:
Do you really think they are going to sit there and watch there business crumble? The profits will be shifted from fossil fuels to much more expensive renewables.

Ironic but you have Shell Oil funding climate research. Who's the big oil shill now hmmmm?
I encourage the shift. However, renewables aren't the core competency of oil and coal companies. They'll need to maximize these offerings through acquisition and R&D, and there are other firms out there who have a head start.

In the end, I'm not against the companies. I just think we can do a lot better than burning prehistoric detritus for our energy needs.

So I'm all for new streams of supply being added to the mix, phasing out more destructive, more OPEX-intensive ones. In addition, I think we all need to be adults and reign in our demand. The amount of energy waste always made my child-of-the-Depression Grandfather furious when he was still alive...

Old 12-06-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward01 View Post

yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies