U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM

433 posts, read 187,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Reelist...........I DO NOT THINK anyone's culture is superior to another. I certainly don't think black art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy is superior to that of whites. Everyone has something of value to offer and I'll accept it as it comes.

What you and many whites do not like to admit is the LEGACY of Jim Crow and slavery still exists and that LEGACY is how many whites benefit. Sure there are many more whites in the country than blacks, so that means there should be more whites running companies than blacks? Does that really make sense?

If that's the case going by blacks being 13% of the US population that means 65 of the Fortune 500 companies should be ran by a black CEO. Correct?

That's not the case. Only 2 CEO's are black. If you're saying MANY whites are qualified, please explain to me why MANY MORE whites get those opportunities?

I am not Racist or a Bigot at all but I will say I have worked for some dumb white folks and it was clear that they got there jobs for no reason other than being white. That's because the image these companies want to promote is largely white and therefore having a black manger is not apart the plan. IF you believe situations like this don't exist you're fooling yourself.

I think it's referred to as white denial. The idea that people think racism no longer exists. Especially because we elected Obama. I think the election of Obama has done just the opposite. He has had more death threats than any president since JFK. He had increased Secret Service security before ever being nominated. To say racism in america no longer exists is very very naive. It exists in all aspects of everyday life. In fact I just read an article about how on interstate 95 in maryland 70% of the traffic stops were of vehicles occupied by black people. This s just one example obviously but you can see it in the mall when black patrons get followed or watched more closely. On the street when a parent grabs their childs hand when approaching a black person. When cashiers at the grocery store don't say a word to the black family in front of me but then talk to me like we are old friends. I've seen it in gymnastic class with my daughter when the teacher pays less attention to the mixed race boy in the class.

I also would say that maybe these people are doing this sub-consciously and are not thinking "oh my god a black person" but either way it is still racism because it effects people and how they are viewed.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:39 PM

28,083 posts, read 32,681,601 times
Quote:
Polite white folks renounce such claims of superiority. But scratch below that surface politeness and the multicultural rhetoric of most white people, and one finds that the assumptions about the superiority of the art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe are still very much alive.
Ron, now that you bring this to my attention I do believe art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe is superior than any black art I've seen. Many of the classics recognized came out of Europe during the agent of enlightenment and after.

Have you ever been to Italy & seen the art by Michelangelo, Di Vinci or Read England's Shakespeare. Think of all the Operas from Austria.

I am not a world traveler or expert but I've never seen the African Culture during that time or since release, produce or publish works that come close to the above mentioned classics.

IMO Western European is far superior.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,171,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ron, now that you bring this to my attention I do believe art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe is superior than any black art I've seen. Many of the classics recognized came out of Europe during the agent of enlightenment and after.

Have you ever been to Italy & seen the art by Michelangelo, Di Vinci or Read England's Shakespeare. Think of all the Operas from Austria.

I am not a world traveler or expert but I've never seen the African Culture during that time or since release, produce or publish works that come close to the above mentioned classics.

IMO Western European is far superior.
Well like you said......."IMO", all of which does not mean anything. We all have an opinion.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,171,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer222 View Post
yep just like we all have an @@@hole. Just some of us act like one too.
So are you calling me an *******?

Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,228,797 times
Quote:
Polite white folks renounce such claims of superiority. But scratch below that surface politeness and the multicultural rhetoric of most white people, and one finds that the assumptions about the superiority of the art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe are still very much alive.

No poll can document these kinds of covert opinions, but one hears it in the angry and defensive reaction of white America when non-white people dare to point out that whites have unearned privilege. Watch the resistance from white America when any serious attempt is made to modify school or college curricula to reflect knowledge from other areas and peoples.

That resistance also helps white Americans ignore and/or rationalize the racialized disparities in the distribution of resources.

Funny how Most of Americans largest companies are ran by whites. Not to mention most of Amercas wealth is in the hands of whites.

Studies continue to demonstrate how, on average, whites are more likely than members of racial/ethnic minorities to be on top on measures of wealth and well-being.

Why is that? Oh, maybe minorities just are not smart enough or work hard enough........NOT!

White America....wake up and be honest. You are benefiting from the elite whites invention known as Rascism.
"Unearned priviledge"???

What are you talking about? Euros came over here on planks of wood blown by bedsheets and in that time's parlance, essentally conquered the place and built the country that most people want to immigrate too.

Then they fought a war against each other that ended up ending slavery.

And now have a black caucus in congress and a mulatto president.

Pfftt.

And what's the reward... oh yeah cool people like Tiger Woods... LOL! Seems he's got as many "Ho's" as any NFL player...

There ya go, another one of those "oppessed" black *billionaires* in the U.S.

Minorities in the U.S., at least blacks, have a higher living standard that blacks anywhere in the world.

What? Do we need a few centuries of white slavery in the U.S. to make it right? And then of course, the Native Americans should by all rights, have an "uprising" and kick the blacks out and take the land back, right? And then of course, whoever they kicked out, should come back and take over?

Sorry dude, but people the world over *die* literally and figuratively to get here.

Racism here means, "They don't want to rub elbows with you."

In say, African, it means, "They rape you wife and kids in front of you then kill all of you and eat you for dinner".

You're right there's a covert attitude. The rich don't really want to be around any grimy underclass people, of any color, LOL! The poor whites on the other hand, have all the economic aggravations the blacks have, but no race based affirmative action, and because of PC aren't allowed to voice that opinion except under duress of being labeled racists. So of course they are resentful.

Geez, do these things really need to be spelled out?

Old 12-05-2009, 05:56 AM

35,445 posts, read 36,320,016 times
Quote:
Well first off not all kids have that adult to guide them.
This is the fundamental problem that the black community needs to solve. Without a proper environment these kids are doomed to failure from the start. This is not problem money by itself can solve, it's not a problem the government can solve, and it's certainly not a problem the white community can solve.

Quote:
Secondly the money spent on public education is over 3 to 1 in favor or wealthy areas over poor areas and the teachers in poor areas are much more likely to have less experience and be less specialized.
Money helps to a degree but if we take the local catholic schools in my area as an example they get by with much less resources per student than those afforded a student in public education. The success rate of this kids is overwhelming, the reson is simple. The parents of these kids have taken an interest in their education.

Here's an interesting article about some schools in Kansas where they threw boatloads of money at them, it was abject failure:
Quote:
Money And School Performance: Lessons from the Kansas City Desegregation Experiment

For decades critics of the public schools have been saying, "You can't solve educational problems by throwing money at them." The education establishment and its supporters have replied, "No one's ever tried." In Kansas City they did try. To improve the education of black students and encourage desegregation, a federal judge invited the Kansas City, Missouri, School District to come up with a cost-is-no-object educational plan and ordered local and state taxpayers to find the money to pay for it.

Kansas City spent as much as $11,700 per pupil--more money per pupil, on a cost of living adjusted basis, than any other of the 280 largest districts in the country. The money bought higher teachers' salaries, 15 new schools, and such amenities as an Olympic-sized swimming pool with an underwater viewing room, television and animation studios, a robotics lab, a 25-acre wildlife sanctuary, a zoo, a model United Nations with simultaneous translation capability, and field trips to Mexico and Senegal. The student-teacher ratio was 12 or 13 to 1, the lowest of any major school district in the country.

The results were dismal. Test scores did not rise; the black-white gap did not diminish; and there was less, not greater, integration.
The Kansas City experiment suggests that, indeed, educational problems can't be solved by throwing money at them, that the structural problems of our current educational system are far more important than a lack of material resources, and that the focus on desegregation diverted attention from the real problem, low achievement.
There's another example about school in Californai where some students because of their locality benefited from one the richest districts:

Quote:
People who believe there's a strong connection between money spent on education and student achievement have a hard time explaining what's going on in the tiny 284-student Sausalito, California, Elementary School District. The district spends more than $12,300 per student each year-- nearly three times the state average.(130) Students go to school in freshly painted buildings, with manicured lawns and new playground equipment. Class size is a mere 16 students per room, half that of many larger districts. The district has special instructors for art, drama, science, and computers. Yet, when it comes to student achievement, none of that seems to matter. Test scores are the lowest in Marin County; a third of the students are in special education classes; classrooms are "chaotic"; teachers are "frustrated, distressed and exhausted" and afraid to "turn their backs" on their classes
You can throw all the money in the world at these problems but until the home environment issues are solved these kids will never succeed. It's not just the black community, I've see it myself here with white students. The kids I grew up with that were allowed to do what they wanted with very little supervision and direction from their parents are in jail, sleeping in a homeless shelter or even dead. They were doomed to failure from the start.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:07 AM

2,424 posts, read 1,740,713 times
Quote:
If it has nothing to do with color why did you mention Blacks?
It's a cultural thing.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:31 AM

563 posts, read 766,305 times
Are You serious? People have been conquering and killing and overtaking other ethnic/tribal/countries since the dawn of man. Tribes in Africa have been fighting/killing each other for generations because the next village was alive or whatever! Racism-Not liking someone because of their ethnic background or skin color has been around since we lived in caves! Ha Ha Now I thought that was fuuunnny!

I still do today what my father taught me. Give a little and give every person you meet a clean slate no matter what color they are. When and if they exuberant "their known bad handed down ethnic qualities" move on. The one I dislike the most is "You owe me somethin'' I owe no one nothing. And since I don't like this thread, I think I'll move on...pointing fingers will never work. Myself, I'd be happy I'm not walking barefoot in mud living in a dung/mud shack, but that's just me. The one thing I am ashamed of my white ancestors is for bringing slavery to The U.S. I know it was wrong and a very evil and horrible thing to do. There is no one living today more than I that wishes it never happened. I could only imagine...

Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 AM

13,151 posts, read 10,364,614 times
I find it ...interesting.. that 'racism' in the US seems to be one of the premier topics on this forum, and that the latter is made out to be such a widespread problem in this country, worthy of government intervention in the minds of many. . While it is true that 'racism' exists in the US, it hardly holds a candle to other parts of the world. The entire continent of Africa is a quagmire of racial and ethnic violence, as is Asia and ( I'll get BBQ'd for this) Europe. Yea Yea, I know, Europe is, and always has been, a model of racial and ethnic harmony. I'm really sick and tired of the US being touted as the racism capital of the world, and white Americans being held as the prime example of racial haters extant. That is a complete fallacy, and is a tactic used by bitter, weak minded, fools, trying to hold up events, long since relegated to the pages of history, as a premise to keep their own hatred alive and to justify it. Lets look at the three continents I mentioned earlier. Africa, Asia, and Europe. In these areas, when there are not other 'races' mixed together to hate each other, they hate each other based on tribal, cultural, linguistic or religious reasons. Realistically, is there anyplace on this planet that is actually a shining, ethereal, example of racial and ethnic harmony? LMAO< link please. I'll plan my next vacation there, if such a place can be found. In the big picture, I fail to see why 'racism' ( yea it's a 'white' thing) is given such top honors as a talking point. All that is accomplished by beating the subject to death in this fashion, is to keep hate alive.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM

1,368 posts, read 1,579,297 times
Quote:

Funny how Most of Americans largest companies are ran by whites. Not to mention most of Amercas wealth is in the hands of whites.

White America....wake up and be honest. You are benefiting from the elite whites invention known as Rascism.
I hear ya Bro', but all your resentment and anger will only take years off an otherwise happy and fulfilling life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or