Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Polite white folks renounce such claims of superiority. But scratch below that surface politeness and the multicultural rhetoric of most white people, and one finds that the assumptions about the superiority of the art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe are still very much alive.

No poll can document these kinds of covert opinions, but one hears it in the angry and defensive reaction of white America when non-white people dare to point out that whites have unearned privilege. Watch the resistance from white America when any serious attempt is made to modify school or college curricula to reflect knowledge from other areas and peoples.

That resistance also helps white Americans ignore and/or rationalize the racialized disparities in the distribution of resources.

Funny how Most of Americans largest companies are ran by whites. Not to mention most of Amercas wealth is in the hands of whites.

Studies continue to demonstrate how, on average, whites are more likely than members of racial/ethnic minorities to be on top on measures of wealth and well-being.

Why is that? Oh, maybe minorities just are not smart enough or work hard enough........NOT!

White America....wake up and be honest. You are benefiting from the elite whites invention known as Rascism.
All I have to say is "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to you..get the chip off your shoulder!!!

Nita

Old 12-04-2009, 09:59 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,318 times
Quote:
Polite white folks renounce such claims of superiority. But scratch below that surface politeness and the multicultural rhetoric of most white people, and one finds that the assumptions about the superiority of the art, music, culture, politics, and philosophy rooted in white Europe are still very much alive.

No poll can document these kinds of covert opinions, but one hears it in the angry and defensive reaction of white America when non-white people dare to point out that whites have unearned privilege. Watch the resistance from white America when any serious attempt is made to modify school or college curricula to reflect knowledge from other areas and peoples.

That resistance also helps white Americans ignore and/or rationalize the racialized disparities in the distribution of resources.

Funny how Most of Americans largest companies are ran by whites. Not to mention most of Amercas wealth is in the hands of whites.

Studies continue to demonstrate how, on average, whites are more likely than members of racial/ethnic minorities to be on top on measures of wealth and well-being.

Why is that? Oh, maybe minorities just are not smart enough or work hard enough........NOT!

White America....wake up and be honest. You are benefiting from the elite whites invention known as Rascism.

another topic of truth to certainly be disputed with more racism but they won't admit it being racism

Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
This thread is now re-opened after I've removed one or more personal attacks and the orphaned replies. Stay civil, or I'll shut this thread and issue even more infractions. Attack ideas, NOT each other.

I reject the thesis of the OP, that white elites invented racism, etc. It was money and greed that sought to exploit those without power. WORLD history is full of one group, regardless of color, exploiting the same or other groups.

IMO, the "coal breaker" photo's posted by coalman are not out of context. In fact, they are very much IN context in that they prove a far larger form of discrimination, that being the hegemony of the money/ownership class of people. Those with money have a very real power over those who don't. Those with money will exploit ANY person of ANY race ANY time they can. Up on K Street in Washington, DC, there is a whole industry of lobbyists and influence peddlers who take the money of corporations and wealthy people and convert it to political favors and loopholes that make the rich richer at the expense of everyone else.

U. S. history is FULL of such treatment, from every corner of the nation and victimizing virtually every race or nationality:
- to the old coal mines, where child labor, black lung and cave-ins killed thousands. I dare anyone to read the history of the United Mineworkers to find out the truth about what it was really like in the old days.
- to the atrocious meat packing plants of old Chicago. Read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair; workers of all colors were victims.
- to the teeming tenements of Hell's Kitchen in NYC, where the newly arriving whites were victimized by those who got here earlier and became established as shop owners or landlords.
- to the Chinese who were brought to the west coast to do the hazardous work building the early transcontinental railroads.
- to the Irish who were paid by the rich during the Civil War to take the place of their own sons. Before the Civil War, the Irish were used to build the railroads in Florida, they died by the hundreds of malaria but could be replaced for the price of a bottle of liquor, but the slaveowners would not risk their slaves in those swamps because if a slave died the owner lost a major investment. The Irish were probably the most abused group of whites in this nation, after the blacks.
- to the blacks who were enslaved before the Civil War and abused for a century afterward, the most abused of all Americans.
- to the American Indians whose land was stolen and who were sent blankets intentionally infected with anthrax.
- to the Mexicans who pick our crops, TO THIS DAY for pitiful wages and no benefits.

The list is long and the real villain in all this is GREED, not race, though racism is easily a subtext of greed-centric abuse. Money doesn't care who it abuses. Take a look at the horrific gold mine situation in Congo to see how blacks with power will exploit blacks who have no power - for money. Note how the Spanish Explorers abused the Inca's and natives of Central America in their quest for gold. If you are without power, you are at the mercy of the wealthy and/or the powerful.

Politicians, working for wealthy vested interests, have kept us divided and conquered for many decades, with race as the main bait that gets us to take the hook. We are fools if we keep falling for their poisoned rhetoric.

The top 2% of Americans own over 50% of this nation's wealth. Forget that not the next time you go vote.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 12-04-2009 at 10:56 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 11:32 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
It's interesting how the people that bring up slavery never mention the thousands that died for them and the many more that risked life and limb to help them.
I've noticed this, too, dcsldcd. I have yet to see one single, solitary word of appreciation expressed by anyone here on CD (and rarely anywhere else) for the thousands upon thousands of Union soldiers who died or were left crippled as a result of their Civil War service. And where's the gratitude for the sacrifices made by countless other whites over the past 150 years on behalf of blacks? Whites were out there, too, in the 1960's marching right along side them. Some were murdered for their activities. Does anyone even remember their names? We know the names Martin Luther King, Medger Evers, Malcolm X. How many people remember the names Michael Schwernerm, Andrew Goodman, Viola Luizzo?

A little gratitude would go a long way!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This thread is now re-opened after I've removed one or more personal attacks and the orphaned replies. Stay civil, or I'll shut this thread and issue even more infractions. Attack ideas, NOT each other.

I reject the thesis of the OP, that white elites invented racism, etc. It was money and greed that sought to exploit those without power. WORLD history is full of one group, regardless of color, exploiting the same or other groups.

IMO, the "coal breaker" photo's posted by coalman are not out of context. In fact, they are very much IN context in that they prove a far larger form of discrimination, that being the hegemony of the money/ownership class of people. Those with money have a very real power over those who don't. Those with money will exploit ANY person of ANY race ANY time they can. Up on K Street in Washington, DC, there is a whole industry of lobbyists and influence peddlers who take the money of corporations and wealthy people and convert it to political favors and loopholes that make the rich richer at the expense of everyone else.

U. S. history is FULL of such treatment, from every corner of the nation and victimizing virtually every race or nationality:
- to the old coal mines, where child labor, black lung and cave-ins killed thousands. I dare anyone to read the history of the United Mineworkers to find out the truth about what it was really like in the old days.
- to the atrocious meat packing plants of old Chicago. Read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair; workers of all colors were victims.
- to the teeming tenements of Hell's Kitchen in NYC, where the newly arriving whites were victimized by those who got here earlier and became established as shop owners or landlords.
- to the Chinese who were brought to the west coast to do the hazardous work building the early transcontinental railroads.
- to the Irish who were paid by the rich during the Civil War to take the place of their own sons. Before the Civil War, the Irish were used to build the railroads in Florida, they died by the hundreds of malaria but could be replaced for the price of a bottle of liquor, but the slaveowners would not risk their slaves in those swamps because if a slave died the owner lost a major investment. The Irish were probably the most abused group of whites in this nation, after the blacks.
- to the blacks who were enslaved before the Civil War and abused for a century afterward, the most abused of all Americans.
- to the American Indians whose land was stolen and who were sent blankets intentionally infected with anthrax.
- to the Mexicans who pick our crops, TO THIS DAY for pitiful wages and no benefits.

The list is long and the real villain in all this is GREED, not race, though racism is easily a subtext of greed-centric abuse. Money doesn't care who it abuses. Take a look at the horrific gold mine situation in Congo to see how blacks with power will exploit blacks who have no power - for money. Note how the Spanish Explorers abused the Inca's and natives of Central America in their quest for gold. If you are without power, you are at the mercy of the wealthy and/or the powerful.

Politicians, working for wealthy vested interests, have kept us divided and conquered for many decades, with race as the main bait that gets us to take the hook. We are fools if we keep falling for their poisoned rhetoric.

The top 2% of Americans own over 50% of this nation's wealth. Forget that not the next time you go vote.
Thank you. Living your life with generosity while always keeping your eyes on the money counters is, I believe, the best way to counteract greed. For those of you who are Christian, and I am not though I did go to Sunday School, remember the one class of people Jesus lost his temper with. He tried to literally cast the money changers out of the temple. We should follow his lead.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I've noticed this, too, dcsldcd. I have yet to see one single, solitary word of appreciation expressed by anyone here on CD (and rarely anywhere else) for the thousands upon thousands of Union soldiers who died or were left crippled as a result of their Civil War service. And where's the gratitude for the sacrifices made by countless other whites over the past 150 years on behalf of blacks? Whites were out there, too, in the 1960's marching right along side them. Some were murdered for their activities. Does anyone even remember their names? We know the names Martin Luther King, Medger Evers, Malcolm X. How many people remember the names Michael Schwernerm, Andrew Goodman, Viola Luizzo?

A little gratitude would go a long way!!!
When the Civil War broke out, my GGF walked away from a wife and 8 kids in Richmond, VA to go to DC and join the UNION Army. He lived through it, but two of his kids died of dysentery during the war, as did thousands of people and soldiers on each side.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:

But in a larger sense, we all lose because of this endemic racism.

How much genius in the minority populations has gone to waste due to lack of opportunity?

Maybe the future researcher who might have developed a cure for some horrible disease had to settle for being a cab driver. Maybe an engineer who could have made a breakthrough in computing technology spent his life as a clerk.

Racism isn't only wrong, it's damaging to the larger society as a whole.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
But in a larger sense, we all lose because of this endemic racism.

How much genius in the minority populations has gone to waste due to lack of opportunity?

Maybe the future researcher who might have developed a cure for some horrible disease had to settle for being a cab driver. Maybe an engineer who could have made a breakthrough in computing technology spent his life as a clerk.

Racism isn't only wrong, it's damaging to the larger society as a whole.
That's actually the point I was was hoping people would get. I wanted to wait for a lot of replies first. I wanted to see if anyone would make that point.

To be honest.........the OP was copied from a magazine article. It's not my thought or belief. I wanted to see where some of these folks are as far as their thinking is concerned.

It's always amazing how people start calling names because they disagree with someones idea.

Ron

Thank you.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:53 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
much genius in the minority populations has gone to waste due to lack of opportunity?
I don't buy into the lack of opportunity either, the only thing lacking is the will to seize the opportunity. There's always one key factor you hear of the black kid that crawled his way out of the ghetto and is now successful, he/she had an adult that took on the responsibility of making sure that kid was going to succeed.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
White Elites invented Rascism...
Do you have anything remotely historical to back up that whopper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies