Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 01:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, maybe because you are American. Over here your agencies such as EPA, FDA etc. are considered a joke, frankly
The procedures to obtain these results can be found here:

National Emissions Inventory (NEI) Air Pollutant Emissions Trends Data | Clearinghouse for Emission Inventories and Emissions Factors | Technology Transfer Network | US EPA

Let me know what you find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yep - they are a "30 something" couple

Let me ask you these questions: Would you, if you could, limit the size of a home that a person(s) could have?

Would you, if you could, limit the size of automobiles one could drive?

The above are serious questions - as your posts would seem to indicate that a persons lifestyle(s) should be closely regulated.
Good question. I am a realist, I know one cannot force people to behave in a certain way. They need to change their behavior because they realize it is better that way. Only then will it be a lasting effect.

So, do I think people should voluntarily limit the size of their homes and the number of cars they own? Of course. I don't believe in luxury, quite to the contrary, I am a minimalist. I voluntarily live in a rented 250 sq ft apartment and I don't have a car, not even a driver's license, while others my age have homes and cars etc.
I guess most humans feel the need to show to the world that they exist and that they are different and better than others, not least to attract the opposite sex. And the more people there are, the greater the need to demonstrate what one has.

I guess at the end of the day at the root of the question which life style is ideal there is the question what one thinks is the purpose of life.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:

Let me ask you these questions: Would you, if you could, limit the size of a home that a person(s) could have?

The above are serious questions - as your posts would seem to indicate that a persons lifestyle(s) should be closely regulated.
Society already does regulate such things. Bigger houses cost more. Bigger automobiles are more expensive to buy and to operate. Essentially, society has always regulated the consumption of resources. Probably cave men regulated who got the positions nearest the fire, and who ended up farther away, because that's part of the function of social groups. As various resources have grown scarcer, and social groups struggle to preserve the resources, individuals have always argued against the groups changing the rules. And the group weighs the individual's arguments against the interests of the group as a whole. What's remarkable is just how much weight is regularaly given to the individual's arguments.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:58 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What I find out?! I won't find out anything. I won't waste my time reading on the site of an organization that I don't consider trustworthy.
Most US agencies are not exactly known for their great independence from lobbying groups and private companies

Well, I will go to bed, good night

Old 12-04-2009, 02:10 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:

If a persons's need for pollutant spewing toys is ruining the breathing air of others, it most certainly should be limited. These moronic oversized vehicles and homes should not even be an option. You can build any nonsensical and unnnecessary pile of whatever and there will always be a customer for it. Did anyone ever really need of those stupid looking Hummers on public roads?

Old 12-04-2009, 02:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
If a persons's need for pollutant spewing toys is ruining the breathing air of others, it most certainly should be limited. These moronic oversized vehicles and homes should not even be an option. You can build any nonsensical and unnnecessary pile of whatever and there will always be a customer for it. Did anyone ever really need of those stupid looking Hummers on public roads?
In this country, we have the FREEDOMS to have as big of a home as we WANT, as big of a vehicle as we WANT, and as many as we WANT.

It is called freedom.

And although YOU might not like Hummers, others do. And again, they have the FREEDOM to decide if they want one or not. The decision is not YOURS to make.

BTW, Steven Speilberg, the Director? His home is a few feet shy of 60,000 sq feet. And IMO, whatever he wants and can afford - go for it.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Did anyone ever really need of those stupid looking Hummers on public roads?
I could agree most don't need a hummer but a large pickup or van is the heart and soul of many business's. They can't do much without one. I just sold a 72 Ford f-250 that was in the family since it was purchased new, killed me to let it go but I had no where to work on it which it needed badly.

Had 72,000 miles on it and probably every mile it was hauling something. It was a necessity as it is for many people, some can't afford two vehicles so they have just a truck. I know people that live in areas where they might need 4 wheel drive 5 or 6 times a year but when they need it they need it. There is no substitute.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:26 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Surprised ( sarc) that Gore would make a movie with the word " truth" in it , then admit he used exageration.

Using " truth" and " exageration" together is an oxymoron.
Interesting, in Spanish,"ox y moron" is a redundancy, No seas buey!

Old 12-04-2009, 02:28 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default "Say It Ain't So Al Gore" !!! .....

Quote:
His "movie" was an outright lie. He committed a fraud - a fraud on the worlds people.

Not only should he return the Oscar, but IMO, and much more important - he should also return the Nobel Prize and the money associated with that prize.

Gore is a crook.
Good Evening,

It appears that there was also a generous amount of "Cookin Dem Old Books" over in Jolly Old England..... At least according to NPR Radio this morning regarding the much proclaimed and yet vehemently doubted "Global Warming" issue.

It appears this entire embarassing absurdity has all the ramifications of the vile and opportunistic mindset of "Looney Politicians And Some On The Fringe Scientist" ..... whom can "Smell Truck Loads Of Abundant Greeenbacks" and have successfully "Duped" hundreds of millions of folks around the world with this giant "Boatload of B#@* S!&+ .....

In "Frightening Retrospect" ..... Not so long ago Al Gore came kinda close to winning the Presidency ..... One "Nightmare" the American People managed to avoid !!!

The so called "Superior Politically and Intellectually "Elite" are without doubt continuing to eagerly demonstrate their "Acute Delusional Mentality" for all the world to witness !!!

As {Greatday} has stated in the above post : "Liars ... Frauds ... & Crooks " are perhaps the best words to describe this unfortunate crowd of
"Paltry Misfits" ! ...

An applicable famous quote : " Observe My Son, With What Little Wisdom The World Is Run." Baron Von Oxenstiern .....

Thank You / Lamar

Old 12-04-2009, 02:42 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Okay, I'll bite. You read the title. Who did you think asked Gore to give back his Oscar?
an entity which is unnamed, but by no means is required to be the same entity who gave the prize.

reading past the headline: it's really not all that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies