Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sounds to me like you need a better paying job.

Perhaps additional education or better skills might help.
I have a very good university degree I live the way I do because I think it is a relatively sustainable way of life, by Western standards. I don't live like this because I could not get another job if I wanted to, but for the very reason that I do not want to appear like a hypocrite when I promote my views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have a very good university degree I live the way I do because I think it is a relatively sustainable way of life, by Western standards. I don't live like this because I could not get another job if I wanted to, but for the very reason that I do not want to appear like a hypocrite when I promote my views.
Very good. I can appreciate your position. I can respect it also.

However, many, if not most, prefer to have at least a few more creature comforts in life. Things that can, and often do, make their lives easier - more enjoyable.

For instance, most prefer if possible, to take a vacation - to see new things - to relax and unwind from the stresses of day to day life.

Here in the United States, an automobile is for most people, essential to life. While some may do without owning a vehicle, they will often rent a car when taking trips.

To each their own.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Very good. I can appreciate your position. I can respect it also.

However, many, if not most, prefer to have at least a few more creature comforts in life. Things that can, and often do, make their lives easier - more enjoyable.

For instance, most prefer if possible, to take a vacation - to see new things - to relax and unwind from the stresses of day to day life.

Here in the United States, an automobile is for most people, essential to life. While some may do without owning a vehicle, they will often rent a car when taking trips.

To each their own.
And if that were taxed accordingly, by use, then that would be a fair way to "encourage" less use. It really should boil down to choice not force.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And if that were taxed accordingly, by use, then that would be a fair way to "encourage" less use. It really should boil down to choice not force.
Extorted decisions just don't really seem that choicy to me.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Extorted decisions just don't really seem that choicy to me.
But it sure beats forcing everyone but those in power to change via taxes and regulations.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
1. Wrong. I live a minimalist life, but not a stone-age life. You people are so simple-minded, it must be either this extreme or the other. .
You say you disapprove of anyone who spends money that you don't agree with, and you think WE are extreme?

I can work my butt off digging a hole all day. I can work and work and work and work for days and nights and get no sleep and try so hard...but unless that hole is worth something to someone, it's not worth a damn thing.

Don't equate lots of physical labor with hard work and don't equate all hard work with being deserving of compensation.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You say you disapprove of anyone who spends money that you don't agree with, and you think WE are extreme?

I can work my butt off digging a hole all day. I can work and work and work and work for days and nights and get no sleep and try so hard...but unless that hole is worth something to someone, it's not worth a damn thing.

Don't equate lots of physical labor with hard work and don't equate all hard work with being deserving of compensation.
Regarding extreme, judging from your answer you did not even understand the dialog.

They don't work hard physically for fun, they have to if they want water to drink and stuff to eat. It is not like here where all we have to do is open the tap and go to the supermarket and pay with money we earned from doing some abstract and not seldom detrimental jobs. So the hole they dig is worth a lot to them.
And yes, any hard work deserves compensation. Why would it not? Because we have machines for everything?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:13 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And if that were taxed accordingly, by use, then that would be a fair way to "encourage" less use..
If you're referring to bigger vehicles that is the case. Since you need more gas you pay more tax.

Quote:
Gasoline tax information - Pennsylvania Gas Prices
After crude oil costs, taxes are the second largest contributor to the price paid at the pump. Together Federal and State excise taxes on fuel account for an average cost of approximately 62 cents per gallon. Rates include Federal excise taxes 18.4 cpg for gasoline and 24.4 cpg for diesel. cpg = cents per gallon
You also pay more for registration at least here in PA, not sure what really heavy pickup is but larger single axle dump truck 25GVW wass about $500 3 years ago. 31gvw was almost $700. Tri axles and trailers will exceed $1000 and probably up around $1500 I'd imagine.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Regarding extreme, judging from your answer you did not even understand the dialog.

They don't work hard physically for fun, they have to if they want water to drink and stuff to eat. It is not like here where all we have to do is open the tap and go to the supermarket and pay with money we earned from doing some abstract and not seldom detrimental jobs. So the hole they dig is worth a lot to them.
And yes, any hard work deserves compensation. Why would it not? Because we have machines for everything?
Lol...I am sorry...this is extremely naive. You really equate physical labor with the only form of truly hard work?

And you really believe work that requires no special skill or talent should be rewarded just because it took physical effort?

You think people should be compensated because they are technologically disadvantaged?

You know who gets paid more? People who can do something that not many other people are capable of doing.
I'm sorry that seems unfair to you, but do not make the mistake of thinking that these people haven't worked really, really hard to get where they are.

I do understand the dialog - you thought I was being 'all or nothing.' I'm throwing it back at you. While this is not an effective or often relevant arguing tactic, it happens to be true in this case.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And you really believe work that requires no special skill or talent should be rewarded just because it took physical effort?

You think people should be compensated because they are technologically disadvantaged?

The bright side to the end of the world for such people is they will once again rule the earth. Having done my fair share of hard labor I've seen both ends of it, I'll take the keyboard as tool anytime. In such a world I'd probably qualify as President... I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies