Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:11 AM

450 posts, read 502,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I couldn't care less. I figured the OP was digging for that statement from the start. So what they hay. I gave it to him, LOL!

My take was that he was just aiming for the generation of more white guilt.

I've pretty much thrown off white guilt. Well, basically never had it in the first place. And I've stated in many posts that I don't think the African American culture is doing the U.S. any good.
LOL way to reach there Jmadison. I honestly would not even accept an answer like that. Yes there are a very small racist fringe, but guess what?
I heard racist things about Bush from a small racist fringe in the Black community....

What I'm getting at in this thread is to get a detailed explantion as to why so much hatred is aimed at Obama. And I don't believe a large majority of the fear mongering and the hatred is because he is black.

I just see clear selective outrage. NO outrage at the things their idol Reagan did (stimulus spending, federal debt, provide arms to Iran, etc....)

Yet in regards to Obama there are marches against him and clear directed hatred.....

Ppl basically rooting for him to fail

I honestly wanted to know hey if from this point on Obama does the exact same thing as Reagan, would they love Obama too....

My guess would be a resounding NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 12:26 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,304,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
I may be in the minority but I see a few similarities with the beginning of Reagan's' Tenure and Obama's now
For example....Carter left the economy is a tough state similar to how Bush did when he left office.
I'm seriously wondering that if from this point on Obama completely mirrors Reagan's presidency. Would the people bashing Obama now start to love him?

Lets imagine if Obama did what Reagan did!

Lets say that in Obama's 2nd year in office U.S. enters into a more severe Recession (the worst at that time since the Great Depression), like Reagan did....

And Obama caused a soaring budget deficit to begin in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did....

And Obama caused a slight rise in inflation, interest rates to double and unemployment to reach a new high (highest since the Great Depression) in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did (10.8%)....

Lets say Obama's approval rating falls as low as Nixon's and Carter's were (35%) & Obama's party lose majority seat in House midterm elections in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did....

And Obama raises Taxes on Businesses & Americans (the largest tax increase in history $100 billion tax hike) in his 2nd year in office, like Reagan did (TEFRA ACT of 1982)....

And lets say to get out of the recession Obama borrows records amount of money (quad-tripling the U.S. National debt), does Economic/Deficit Spending (continuing a bail-out of Chrysler, the railroad industry and Government takeover of failing Railroad Companies or the bailout of Banks like Continental National Bank deemed "TOO BIG TO FAIL), like Reagan did....

And lets say Obama administration began to fund and provide arms to two of our biggest enemies (lets use the Taliban and Iran), like Reagan did (giving arms/aid to Iraq and Iran), also if Obama began providing funding for a guerrilla organization (Like the Guerrillas in Darfur) **against federal law** who were charged with genocide and war crimes, like Reagan did (providing funding for the Contras)....

Also what if Obama gave a record number of illegal immigrants complete and full amnesty in an Immigration Reform Act, arguably causing a worsening immigration problem in America like Reagan did....

Or if Obama gave reparations to Black people, Like Reagan gave reparations to the Japanese (who were interned in camps during WWII)....

And lets say at the end of Obama's presidency the United States is by far the largest nation in debt borrowing money from foreign countries our grandkids will be left to pay, the national debt is 3x as much and the federal budget is 5x as much as when he came into office, like Reagan did....

BUT!

What if Obama by his 4th year in office, the recession has recovered, Unemployment is at an all-time low (since WWII), businesses are beginning to fully recover, America GDP starts a growth an average of 4% every year after, like Reagan did

Or if Obama in his 2nd term lowered taxes by more than anytime in U.S. history (for Top Earners nearly cut in half), increased tax incentives for investments and home purchases, like Reagan Did

Lets say by the end of Obama's presidency he plays a major instrumental role in defeating Islamic extremism and creating a better overall peace in the World along with winning the Afghanistan War, Like Reagan did (in his role in defeating Communism and winning the Cold War with the fall of the Soviet Union)

And lets say by the end of Obama's presidency overall the economy is largely prosperous (inflation record low, unemployment record low with 16 million new jobs created, record low oil prices, etc...) and America is the leading nation or superpower in the world.

Again lets say if Obama does every single thing like Reagan did throughout his Presidency, I seriously want to know would Conservatives/Republicans praise Obama?
Would you all stop bashing and start liking him?
Would Obama go down as one of the greatest Presidents of All Time?

I know a lot of this is hyperbole and hypothicals, but I seriously would like to hear you alls answers....
It's too late and Barrack f@#$% himself!

Old 12-06-2009, 12:40 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
Please list ONE time Obama "talked down" about America? lol you all just create stuff to be outraged about.

I guess when Obama says "I could not come from where I've come from and made it to this position, without the greatest country in the world America"; to you all that translates to he HATES AMERICA!
LOL!

Honestly I do not care about him bowing and showing respect to leaders. One thing us Americans have an issue with we are elitist. Foreign Leaders have been bowing to our Presidents....
We can't show respect in that way? I guess not....

But again Reagan was a great President but he did give Weapons two of our Biggest enemies at that time. There's no outrage to that from you all though
But with Obama there is outrage to nearly EVERYTHING....
http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2009/09/stunner-obama-apologizes-for-america-again-at-united-nations/ (broken link)

He has done so several times when visiting Europe, including Germany a few months ago. By talking-down the US, I meant "apologizing" for the US.
http://pdberger.com/obama-apologizes-to-europe/

And you are wrong about bowing down. You don't shake the hand of another leader and bow at the same time, unless the other leader does the same. If you bow down while the other leader does not, you are being submissive to the other. It's a simple as that, and has nothing to do with showing respect. In fact, he should have asked the Prime Minister of Japan to turn around so he could be kissed in the rump

Do you even understand what it means in Saudi Arabia to bow down to the king?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...di-Arabia.html

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-06-2009 at 12:53 AM..

Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Never asking for forgiveness when you KNOW you've done something wrong is generally called arrogance - and is NOT an admirable trait.

And this coming from a Left-leaning centrist who DID vote for Reagan (twice).

When you are wrong you should just ADMIT you were wrong - not ignore it and simply pretend it never happened.

America is a great country and has done many admirable things - but, like ANY great power, we've also committed our share of sins. Ignoring them and pretending they never happened doesn't make them go away and will likely lead you into making those same mistakes AGAIN - not only that, but the refusal to admit the mistakes damages our future relationships with the aggrieved nations. There comes a time when you should just man up to what you've done - not hide behind pompous psudo-patriotism.

Ken
What has the US done wrong for Obama to assume that he must apologize? Should the US offer "reparations" to all the people it has hurt in the past? All nations have done their share of sins, including Japan. But did you see Japan's Prime Minister apologizing to Obama for his nation's sins and then bowing down?

Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What has the US done wrong for Obama to assume that he must apologize?
In the case of the middle east, we helped to put the Shah in power - and our financial support helped keep him in power longgggg after it was clear the guy was a brutal tyrant. And then we're surprized when a revolution takes place and the incoming governming is anti-American? The fact is we were WRONG to support the Shah. He was a nasty, brutal ruler who oppressed his own people - but we stuck by him because he was anti-Soviet. The end result is that the Iranian people paid the price in blood for our "sin". An opology is certainly in order.

Quote:
Should the US offer "reparations" to all the people it has hurt in the past?
No, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't apologize.
You do it because it's the RIGHT thing to do. Do you have problems understanding that you do something because it's the RIGHT thing to do? Does that concept escape you somehow? It's called "honesty" - admitting when you are wrong. Maybe that's a foreign idea in the political circles you frequent.

Quote:
All nations have done their share of sins, including Japan. But did you see Japan's Prime Minister apologizing to Obama for his nation's sins and then bowing down?
Indeed, and Japan's failure to ADMIT their sins and apologize for them cost them in their international relationships throughout Southeast Asia. It took a LONG time before Japanese firms were really able to make inroads into the Southeast Asian market again. In fact, there is STILL resentment to this - in part due to the fact that the Japanese have been reluctant to really "man up" to what they did.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies