Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,627 times

Advertisements

There must have been a recent Christian newletter containing a 'Persecution Ploy" inititive, sent to every Christian in America.

Because hilariously, Christians are playing the Persecution Card a lot lately.

It's rather humerous. Funny how that works.

Guess it was okay when they persecuted, discriminated, bullied and tortured those who didn't believe as they do. But apparently, they can'y stamd the heat when people want to take their rights back and eliminate the Christian death-grip on politics and society.

Boohoo....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I dunno. Have we really gotten to the place that people, even politicians or public figures no longer have the right to express what they believe? She thinks humility before God would improve this nation. I agree with her and think she has every right to express her opinion about it. People can agree or disagree and act accordingly. That's their right.
I don't agree with Palin, but I agree with this post. There seems to be a LOT of ridicule for her religion and those who agree with her. I want religion OUT of government, but we owe respect to ALL religions. (At least enought respect to keep insults out of it.)

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The problem is that she is basically saying God should govern.

Our country does not work like that.

Countries like Afghanistan work like that.

Would you like us to be more like Afghanistan?
That's a good point, but let me ask you this. If God exists, (and you may or may not believe He does~I don't know,)should we not at least welcome His guidance in the affairs of countries as well as our own lives? I'm not talking about someone's opinions about God, but God himself now.

Basically, all I see Palin saying is that we should humble ourselves before God. That's all. ( I don't see her saying we have to enact laws that only Christians would believe in or anything like that.)

Old 12-08-2009, 11:01 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I don't agree with Palin, but I agree with this post. There seems to be a LOT of ridicule for her religion and those who agree with her. I want religion OUT of government, but we owe respect to ALL religions. (At least enought respect to keep insults out of it.)
You're ignoring the fact that she brought it on herself.

When you step up to the podium and blabber on about your "God" and make your "God" one of the main foundations of your platform; then, your "God" is going to become a point of contention, debate and severe criticism.

She's reaping what she sowed. If she's going to deal it out, she (and all her little christian soldiers of god); have to learn to play like big boys and big girls....and learn to take it.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:11 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
It seems that lately it's quite acceptable (and insisted upon) to tolerate faiths which are in the minority here in the US, but actually, when someone expresses his/her Christian faith, (as Palin did) it is suddenly unacceptable. Is this not also a "lack of tolerance?"
I have no problem with people following their religion.

I have a problem when people say their God should be making decisions for this country.

It's like me saying I think Santa Claus is going to tell me the answer to our nations problems.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
That's a good point, but let me ask you this. If God exists, (and you may or may not believe He does~I don't know,)should we not at least welcome His guidance in the affairs of countries as well as our own lives? I'm not talking about someone's opinions about God, but God himself now.

Basically, all I see Palin saying is that we should humble ourselves before God. That's all. ( I don't see her saying we have to enact laws that only Christians would believe in or anything like that.)
We don't know if God exists and not everyone follows the same God, so why on Earth should be be following his guidance on how to run our Country?

You should reread the article again... she says it takes "Godly Counsel" and prayer to make our country safe. Also, do you realize how downright insulting it is to tell a country where everyone doesn't believe in God, or the same God, that they should be humbled before YOUR God?

Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,180,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
You're ignoring the fact that she brought it on herself.

When you step up to the podium and blabber on about your "God" and make your "God" one of the main foundations of your platform; then, your "God" is going to become a point of contention, debate and severe criticism.

She's reaping what she sowed. If she's going to deal it out, she (and all her little christian soldiers of god); have to learn to play like big boys and big girls....and learn to take it.
You've got a good point there. (And I am not one to turn down an excuse to disagree with Palin...) but I was more referring to the ridicule that the Christian posters are getting on CD when they agree with her.
I am pretty anti-religion...but I hate when people get attacked for the wrong reasons.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:06 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Well, I would think that if he were muslim that it would seem very natural for him to say this. I don't have to agree with him for crying out loud. What seems forgotten here, however, is that the vast majority of the people in this country still profess to believe in Christianity when asked their religion. Given that, back to the original question, especially if I were in a country where the population was overwhelmingly muslim, or overwhelmingly anything else, I would certainly not be surprised or offended to hear a leader make such statements about their particular faith or convictions.
Do you have any idea of what you are suggesting?? Do you really believe that the majority religion of a country has the right to impose its tenets on all who reside in that country??

Be careful what you wish for.....

Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:

No, we should not.

This is a SECULAR REPUBLIC. I believe its right there in the Constitution- no established religion. That means NONE. Not yours, not Palin's, not mine (I have no desire to convert you to Agnosticism). God Squaders, Jihadis, Bible Thumpers, and other assorted Zealots cannot and will not get around the Constitution.

You and Palin can go to Church every minute of your lives. Nobody is stopping you.

But I do not want your mythology preached to me. I especially do not want the US Government, with all its weapons, bureacracies, borrowing capacity, and its penchant for hiring small minded people with really big ideas, to get into the sphere of religion.

Its the Consitution Kaykay! Thankfully it protects me from the likes of you.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Do you have any idea of what you are suggesting?? Do you really believe that the majority religion of a country has the right to impose its tenets on all who reside in that country??

Be careful what you wish for.....
No, what I am saying is that in a nation of mostly professing Christians, you are quite likely to have some political leaders who will publicly profess and advocate Christianity. (Palin did.) No surprise. In a predominantly Muslim nation, you will likely have some political leaders who will publicly profess and advocate Islam. In a predominantly (fill in the blank) nation, you will.... No surprise here or it shouldn't be IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies