Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I think a little faith would do everyone some good. I am not talking about religious extremism, but simply faith in a power greater than us.

When survivalists have evaluated the single common factor that helped them through thier trials, faith is noted as the number one factor.

I would think that those who believe in nothing would lead rather empty lives and never achieve contentment. Often these voids are "satisfied" by sex, drugs, alcohol, money and other addictions. But becuase they do not satiate their needs, usually kindled by depression, the hole becomes deeper.
Well, you've been coached to think that way for years if not decades and now you can't conceive of anything that doesn't conform to that mindset.

I think you'd find it's very different if you'd bother to search statistics on things like divorce rates, prison populations, and substance abuse.

The results of the Christians vs atheists in prison investigation.

U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 07:31 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

I would think that those who believe in nothing would lead rather empty lives and never achieve contentment. Often these voids are "satisfied" by sex, drugs, alcohol, money and other addictions. But becuase they do not satiate their needs, usually kindled by depression, the hole becomes deeper.
If this is an example of how you think, perhaps you should consider not thinking too much.
Do you realize that there is only a void if something is missing and the thing you opine is missing does not, for us, exist?

Old 12-13-2009, 08:22 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
RALEIGH, N.C. - Sarah Palin says the United States should rededicate itself to seeking God's will, arguing that a humble spirit could help leaders get more answers on issues such as health care, energy and national security.

In a video released Friday by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, the 2008 Republican candidate for vice president said it's important for leaders to acknowledge they don't have all the answers.

Moderator cut: first couple of sentences and link only!

Palin says nation should rededicate itself to God
Having GOD in her family life really helped too, didn't it?
17 Y.O. pregnant daughter. Where was GOD to stop this pregnancy of a minor?

Palin's daughter, 17, is pregnant - The Boston Globe
I rest my case, I'll shut up on this thread now, nuff said.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:39 AM

1,133 posts, read 712,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Yer n amasin tipisst.
Aw shux, ijist prefer ta think uvit as azununz an allaterazion. I'm still smarter than them thar librulz n fit graderz.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It seems that lately it's quite acceptable (and insisted upon) to tolerate faiths which are in the minority here in the US, but actually, when someone expresses his/her Christian faith, (as Palin did) it is suddenly unacceptable. Is this not also a "lack of tolerance?"

She or anyone else can believe what ever they want. It's attempting to justify things like war as doing God's work that's intolerable and has no place in government.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Haven't bothered reading all these pages...but my opinion....way too much God in our government already...and this woman is a nutjob.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Having GOD in her family life really helped too, didn't it?
17 Y.O. pregnant daughter. Where was GOD to stop this pregnancy of a minor?

Palin's daughter, 17, is pregnant - The Boston Globe
I rest my case, I'll shut up on this thread now, nuff said.
Palin's daughter CHOSE to have premarital sex and so a pregnancy resulted. If someone wants to do something foolish, God will allow them to. I'm just grateful this family is owning up to the responsibility to care for this child versus abortion.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Haven't bothered reading all these pages...but my opinion....way too much God in our government already...and this woman is a nutjob.
The real problem is that all politicians, including GWB, only play lip service to God which is why their policies are disasterous. They use God as if he is a good luck charm and do not even serve him. If God really were in our government, we would not be in the messes that we are in today.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
The real problem is that all politicians, including GWB, only play lip service to God which is why their policies are disasterous. They use God as if he is a good luck charm and do not even serve him. If God really were in our government, we would not be in the messes that we are in today.
Uhhh, I think you were the one who said your "good luck charm", god, got you that bonus....but you don't think anyone else should use him that way......

And, please...that old saw explaining away bad behaviour by christians by saying they're only playing lip service or they're not really christians or this excuse or that excuse....you can believe it if you want to, but I'm not buying it.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Uhhh, I think you were the one who said your "good luck charm", god, got you that bonus....but you don't think anyone else should use him that way......

I never stated that I use God as a good luck charm. This is a clear example of how you twist my words around. I used that as an illustration about how God divinely intervenes in my life because He is my Creator and my Provider. He is my Father who takes care of me when no one else does. I really do not appreciate your insinuations as I take my relationship with God very seriously. Just because you cannot or will not comprehend this is your issue but I'd appreciate it if you'd cut out the sarcasm and condensing remarks as you do not know me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies