Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Most people who know me, know that I would argue with a brick wall just for the fun of it.

I hold no one here in a bad light. I feel that some need to have some proper education, or that they might be clinically insane, but they are still fun to argue with.

I really like the fact that every now and then, I learn something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I guess you haven't frequented too many forums. This forum pales in comparison to some of the Dressage/Horse forums out there.
now thats a horse of another color. my neighbor does Dressage and has a million ribbons and works harder at it than anyone i know works at anything. she would rather go bankrupt than to not win. but some of her horses go for big bucks.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,183,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
now thats a horse of another color. my neighbor does Dressage and has a million ribbons and works harder at it than anyone i know works at anything. she would rather go bankrupt than to not win. but some of her horses go for big bucks.
Now that's just RACIST!!!!! You must be a Limbaugh/Beck/O'reily/McCain, Bush......etc......supporter.

LOL.........

Old 12-05-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Now that's just RACIST!!!!! You must be a Limbaugh/Beck/O'reily/McCain, Bush......etc......supporter.

LOL.........
ok you caught me.yes most of her horses are Paliminos. but hey whatever it takes

Old 12-05-2009, 06:35 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post

Main Entry: 1de·bate
Pronunciation: \di-ˈbāt, dē-\
Function: noun
Date: 13th century
: a contention by words or arguments: as a : the formal discussion of a motion before a deliberative body according to the rules of parliamentary procedure b : a regulated discussion of a proposition between two matched sides

I see a lot of unsubstantiated and historically inaccurate statements, sadly misinformed, prejudicial and baseless arguments which add up to "a contention by words or arguments" but hardly satisfy most people's perception of "debate".
That's it exactly. Almost nothing in this forum constitutes a debate. I am forever having to ask people why they obviously didn't bother to read a linked article from the original post that was intended to fuel the discussion. Why bother when they can just spew talking points? People don't even read through the threads themselves.

Posts are filled with ad hominem arguments; non sequiturs; changes of subject; false premises; post hoc ergo propter hoc "logic"; lack of cites at all, let alone reputable ones; redefining words; confusion of correlation and causation; straw man arguments; accusations of jealousy; and every other dishonest and disrespectful debate tactic.

Basically, this forum is little more than Conversational Terrorism.

I still can't turn away, though.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:50 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Oh my gosh, you have no idea the heated "debates" (actually, flame and attack threads) that abound when it comes to "training" the proper way.

Much worse than anything on this forum.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post

How about the posters who think they are the forum police.

I'll narrow it down to the most annoying.

The grammar checkers.

The spell checkers.

The ones who try to dictate which forum a thread should be in. Very popular whine is "shouldn't this be in the religion forum" whaaa whaaa

The ones who complain about your thread topic and how there are several other threads about the same thing. Who cares? Is there some kind of limit as to how many threads city data can have in a day?

The ones who are "studying this topic in college right now" therefore, they are correct.

The "read this book" pushers.

to be continued.....

Old 12-05-2009, 06:56 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
From what I've seen, there's not many debates going on at all.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh, you have no idea the heated "debates" (actually, flame and attack threads) that abound when it comes to "training" the proper way.

LOL, try looking up a breastfeeding thread. Same thing.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:

from what little i know i believe you. i built the dressing room and kitchen in the front of her horse trailer and everything i did was wrong acording to her 'friends' never again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies