Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
This site has good debators, decent debators. bad debators and ignorant debators.

I see these:

1). Hyper-sensitive, easily offended types

2). Knee-jerk "you're a racist!" types

3). Insult hurlers and personal attackers

4). Lovers of exclamation marks

5). Smilies icon addicts

6). Thoughtful, considerate types

7). Weblink lovers

8). Off-the-tangent discussion generators

9). Hair splitters

10). Dirty laundry airers

11). Comics (thank goodness for them!)

12). Arguers for the sake of arguing

13). Rigid seers of black and white, no gray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 04:09 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Entertainment at it's best!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:24 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
It's more frightening than entertaining when you behold the vast landscapes of completely ignorant and unreasoning followership that passes in some quarters for participation in our poltical process.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 AM

103 posts, read 118,462 times
Meh. I just come here when I'm bored.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Some of the debates are funny as hell and others get out of hand. All in all I have no issues with any of the posters on this forum. Some of you should be trial attorneys.........you have strong arguments.

Sure, I've been called every name in the book but to be honest I spend most of my time LMAO.........

Do you guys enjoy it like I do?

Call me a trouble maker if you will...........I enjoy the "action". If there was a fight, I'd want all on you on my side for sure.

Ron
Yes, I enjoy the debates and I enjoy your posts and debating with you. If you're like me I think what you find amusing are some of the silly debate tactics. Sometimes I point these out. It really is amusing.

My favorite silly debate tactic is the call for a link. I've studied some issues for years. I read an awful lot. This includes books, newpapers and magazines as well as the internet. I hear things on the radio and I see things on TV and I experience things in real life. Then I will state a fact that I've learned from all my research and some joker will come in and all they say is "link please". So now I'm supposed to go out and try to find some Internet link to support my argument. The theory is that if I don't bother then I must be wrong. Proper debate would be for them to research it for amunition to refute what I said. But they either cannot or they are lazy. They will just come in here and say, "link please".

If everyone agreed, wouldn't it be boring! In such a case we would have no need for a debate. Yet some people seem to become quite angry. More often than not the anger is the result of their inability to engage in successful debating.

Carry on!

- Reel

Old 12-06-2009, 05:06 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I see these:

1). Hyper-sensitive, easily offended types

2). Knee-jerk "you're a racist!" types

3). Insult hurlers and personal attackers

4). Lovers of exclamation marks

5). Smilies icon addicts

6). Thoughtful, considerate types

7). Weblink lovers

8). Off-the-tangent discussion generators

9). Hair splitters

10). Dirty laundry airers

11). Comics (thank goodness for them!)

12). Arguers for the sake of arguing

13). Rigid seers of black and white, no gray
Yup. Then there are those who will intimate that you said something that you never said and proceed to argue against a point that you never made.

- Reel

Old 12-06-2009, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Some of the debates are funny as hell and others get out of hand. All in all I have no issues with any of the posters on this forum. Some of you should be trial attorneys.........you have strong arguments.

Sure, I've been called every name in the book but to be honest I spend most of my time LMAO.........

Call me a trouble maker if you will...........I enjoy the "action". If there was a fight, I'd want all on you on my side for sure.

Ron
anyone who doesn't like a good debate shouldn't bother with these types of threads and forums. I do get pretty sick of some that are so one way or the other they have lost all sense of fairness or reasoning, but overall, most people on here, though passionate about their beliefs are smart and interesting.

Nita

Old 12-06-2009, 06:33 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Reel,

WE don't agree on everything but YOU, my friend, are one hell of a debater. Along with diva360. The 2 of you are the best.

Reel there have many posts of yours that I have read and walked thinking" that makes sense, I never thought about it like that".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Yes, I enjoy the debates and I enjoy your posts and debating with you. If you're like me I think what you find amusing are some of the silly debate tactics. Sometimes I point these out. It really is amusing.

My favorite silly debate tactic is the call for a link. I've studied some issues for years. I read an awful lot. This includes books, newpapers and magazines as well as the internet. I hear things on the radio and I see things on TV and I experience things in real life. Then I will state a fact that I've learned from all my research and some joker will come in and all they say is "link please". So now I'm supposed to go out and try to find some Internet link to support my argument. The theory is that if I don't bother then I must be wrong. Proper debate would be for them to research it for amunition to refute what I said. But they either cannot or they are lazy. They will just come in here and say, "link please".

If everyone agreed, wouldn't it be boring! In such a case we would have no need for a debate. Yet some people seem to become quite angry. More often than not the anger is the result of their inability to engage in successful debating.

Carry on!

- Reel

Old 12-06-2009, 06:34 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
anyone who doesn't like a good debate shouldn't bother with these types of threads and forums. I do get pretty sick of some that are so one way or the other they have lost all sense of fairness or reasoning, but overall, most people on here, though passionate about their beliefs are smart and interesting.

Nita
Even some of the "nut jobs" make sense sometimes.........although sometimes they can be a bit far out there. They bring value to CD.

Ron

Old 12-06-2009, 07:21 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:

It's like still being married...except without any "aisle-crossing" compromise. And, you know, I don't have to sleep with all of you or ask you to open a jar for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies