Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
She said that she has had it really rough growing up, because she never really fit in to either.
It must be really sad... I'm not multi-racial, but I can relate to that on the account of ending up being a foreigner to some extend both here and in my country of origin after so many years.

In the Black/White cases, though, I can't quite see how people can identify themselves as being White if they look Black... It must be tough because I've heard the Black community rejects them, too. I don't know... as pretty as these kids turn out, sometimes I think it's not fair of the parents to impose this identity crisis on them... I'm not saying people should abandon their own relationships for this reason or not enter them, but I wouldn't want to be this kid really.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I am raising my GD (13) and she self-identifies with being white. If asked, she says mixed race. She said that she either marks "other" or checks both on tests. Then she said that she identifies with the family that she grew up with, so she feels more like she is white and that if she grew up with her black family, she would consider herself black. Until very recently this bothered me, as I thought she was denying half her heritage, but I realize now that it is what it is and I never gave a darn about my Irish heritage until I was well into adulthood.

How great that folks are now "allowed" to self-done identify. Raena- I get the ratio thing with schools and such. And certain programs that rely upon grants need to show diversity, so I mark whatever I think will help their stats.

I've posted this previously, but it's cute- when she was in pre-K, she self-identified as being cappuccino!

Mikeetc- That's funny- two races/ethnicities/etc, folks can follow, but after that, it's "okay, whatever"- LOL!
awww that is the cutest thing I've ever heard.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:43 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
I think the one drop rule applies not matter how you look. The race thing and the mixed thing is not all about what color you look. It's also a cultural issue too. Socialization determines race identification too. I heard Halle Berry's mom say she told her daughter she was black and that is how the world would see her too. In Mariah's case she too is considered black and I think she claims it as well, so her look has little to do with who she identifies with. I could be wrong, but maybe not.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 PM

1,322 posts, read 2,413,587 times
Turn off all the lights - what race are you now?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It must be really sad... I'm not multi-racial, but I can relate to that on the account of ending up being a foreigner to some extend both here and in my country of origin after so many years.

In the Black/White cases, though, I can't quite see how people can identify themselves as being White if they look Black... It must be tough because I've heard the Black community rejects them, too. I don't know... as pretty as these kids turn out, sometimes I think it's not fair of the parents to impose this identity crisis on them... I'm not saying people should abandon their own relationships for this reason or not enter them, but I wouldn't want to be this kid really.
some of these biracial children don't look black. And no the black community dont always reject them, just as the white community don't. More and more people of both sides of the spectrum are learing to accept biracial people as just that, a mixture of both. My kids will tell you they are Black and White. They feel no need to choose one of their backgrounds over the other. They have had very little issues in terms of what people accept them as.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:55 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
A lot of people on this thread are bringing up forms as being a reason for people to have to choose one race over the other. Starting in 2010, this will be changing throughout the country. The 2010 census forms are allowing people to mark more then one race when identifying themselves for the national census. With the government taking steps to allow people to identify as biracial or multiracial, you will see this start changing at the business level also.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I'm Bi-racial (Black & Latin) and I claim Black but when people see me they do not think I'm Black and usually ask if I'm of Latin decent. People have asked me why don't I claim Latin since that is what I look like instead of Black. And I said because of the 'one drop' rule I thought Black was what I had to claim but people have told me that race is determined by looks and you are classified by how you look whether you go by that race or not. For example people that are bi-racial and look white, Whites will identify them as being White and not Black like Mariah Carey but Halle Berry looks black so she is considered a Black woman although she is bi-racial (black &white) just like Mariah.

So my question is what race do you identify yourself with and why?

No such thing as "Latin" being part of a biracial relationship, as Latins can be of any race. For the same reason, there is also no such thing as "looking Latin."

You come from a bicultural relationship, not necessarily a biracial one.

My dad is African American, my mom is Afro-Cuban. Both are black, but their marriage was a a bicultural relationship.

Funny thing is, your Mariah Carey example is off as well. Her father is Afro-Venezuelan, as in Latin. She comes from a biracial AND a bicultural background.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:38 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No such thing as "Latin" being part of a biracial relationship, as Latins can be of any race. For the same reason, there is also no such thing as "looking Latin."
You come from a bicultural relationship, not necessarily a biracial one.

My dad is African American, my mom is Afro-Cuban. Both are black, but their marriage was a a bicultural relationship.

Funny thing is, your Mariah Carey example is off as well. Her father is Afro-Venezuelan, as in Latin. She comes from a biracial AND a bicultural background.
I agree with you Lucario.

My complexion is dark. If you didn't know me you would probably consider me Black. But when I had to stay with my Grand parents in Puerto Rico every summer. I never experienced being labelled different since I am half Back and half Puerto Rican. My family members were all shades of the color spectrum. We all loved each other. Color didn't matter!

Never in my whole life was I ever considered Bi-Racial.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
I agree with you Lucario.

My complexion is dark. If you didn't know me you would probably consider me Black. But when I had to stay with my Grand parents in Puerto Rico every summer. I never experienced being labelled different since I am half Back and half Puerto Rican. My family members were all shades of the color spectrum. We all loved each other. Color didn't matter!

Never in my whole life was I ever considered Bi-Racial.
I know Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans and Panamanians who are as African as Wesley Snipes. Again, Latins come in all colors.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:30 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Many people I know are bi-racial and claim both sides. I think they should. My son is bi-racial Korean and Irish-german. And to add more flavor my side has Cherokee Indian too.
How cool. My daughter 1/4 Korean, some German, Irish and a little Cherokee too! AND my family is from Western PA.

We just consider her to be multi-faceted and lovely! She keeps people guessing, especially when they see her dad, who is 6'2" and 1/2 Korean

I personally feel that it's kids like ours who are going to help eradicate racial stereotyping. They are not so easy to put a label on and they may well find it easier than most to blend in with that's a variety of ethnic groups. That can be a great advantage!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies