Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

[quote=Shysister;11945474]
Quote:
No I am bi-racial as I have one parent from one race and the other from another. I know what bi-racial is. I said Latin because my parent is from the Latin decent I just didn't say which one which is why I said Latin also being Puerto Rican etc. is not Black it is Puerto Rican.

Mi hermana.............what race are you talking about though? Never said who was black and who was not. I was pointing out that if one of your parents is Puerto Rican, that does not prevent them from being the same race as your non-Puerto Rican parent. You can't be half black, which is a racial distinction that includes some Puerto Ricans, and half Puerto Rican, which is a national designation that includes some blacks. Me entiendes?

Is one of your parents African American?

Quote:
Also race is not just about skin color but facial features and hair as well. And regarding Mariah Carey she has always said her dad is African American and when she first entered the music industry she identified herself as White to be excepted however once she divorced her husband whom controlled her career, she begin to be more open about being apart of the African American race.

Of course race involves many other things - skin color is but one of them. We are just repeating each other here, as I have never said anything to the contrary. Mariah's dad is not African American. He is Afro-Latino, of Venezuelan origin. She may identify as black because that is her father's racial background, but she is not African American.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
Yes but some do not identify themselves as being apart of the African American decent at all and identify themselves as Hispanics or Spanish same with Domincians.

You are confusing black with African American. Puerto Ricans, if they come from the island or have descent from there, are not African American. Many are mixed with African or have a predominance of African ancestry, and many identify as such. This has nothing to do with the African American population. The majority of Dominicans (85%) have African ancestry. Doesn't matter how they describe themselves - if they do not acknowledge this they are simply delusional.

All Dominicans or Puerto Ricans are Hispanic or Latino, no matter what their race is. I know Puerto Ricans who are Chinese and others who are East Indian. They are as Latino as the "Spanish" or the Black Puerto Ricans.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,797 times
i used to label myself black, but now i do two or more, mixed, biracial.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,336,994 times
My mom is Black.
My dad is Black/Asian (Filipino/Japanese)

I consider myself Black though because of the way I was raised.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:11 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,466,631 times
Quote:
I'm Bi-racial (Black & Latin) and I claim Black but when people see me they do not think I'm Black and usually ask if I'm of Latin decent. People have asked me why don't I claim Latin since that is what I look like instead of Black. And I said because of the 'one drop' rule I thought Black was what I had to claim but people have told me that race is determined by looks and you are classified by how you look whether you go by that race or not. For example people that are bi-racial and look white, Whites will identify them as being White and not Black like Mariah Carey but Halle Berry looks black so she is considered a Black woman although she is bi-racial (black &white) just like Mariah.

So my question is what race do you identify yourself with and why?
You can't claim to be "black" because of the one drop rule and "bi-racial" in the same sentence. It's a contradiction in terms. Think about that if you can. Be one or the other honey. It doesn't matter what other people think you are - half the time they get it f*cking wrong anyway. But if you want to cave into what society wants you to be then so be it. Also, the one drop rule is antiquated (but convenient - less brain cells to use), but if you want to carry on what the white masta' created... that's your choice. More power to you.

BTW, I'm biracial. One drop rule doesn't apply to this BIRACIAL.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times
Dad is Irish.
Mom is Mexican.

Born in L.A., raised in Florida, married a Hispanic gal, so I tend to identify more as Hispanic.

Last edited by Mach50; 12-08-2009 at 09:30 PM..

Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,038 times
Quote:
Yes but some do not identify themselves as being apart of the African American decent at all and identify themselves as Hispanics or Spanish same with Domincians.
I am aware of that, but its a pretty silly concept that anyone would. Dominicans, Cubans and Puerto Ricans are all of partial african descent. Claiming no black descent would be like being english and claiming to be purely germanic saxon.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
I am aware of that, but its a pretty silly concept that anyone would. Dominicans, Cubans and Puerto Ricans are all of partial african descent. Claiming no black descent would be like being english and claiming to be purely germanic saxon.
true.........but you are using the term african american where it is not warranted in place of the racial term black........anyway, all I was saying is that a person can't be biracial black/latin because latin is not a race.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:04 PM

844 posts, read 1,280,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
true.........but you are using the term african american where it is not warranted in place of the racial term black........anyway, all I was saying is that a person can't be biracial black/latin because latin is not a race.
True. I got what you were saying, and wasnt disagreeing with you.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
True. I got what you were saying, and wasnt disagreeing with you.
my bad btw....i mistook one of your posts for shysista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies