Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a Christian group on a public school campus be allowed to bar homosexuals and atheists from j
Yes 30 50.85%
No 28 47.46%
Not sure 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear an appeal by a Christian student organization that says a public law school in San Francisco violated its rights by denying it recognition for limiting participation by nonbelievers and gays.

Christian Group Rebuffed by School Gets Court Review (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

It's a public school and the group receives funding from the school. I don't think they should be allowed to discriminate in that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Clearly, the answer is a resounding 'no.'

Old 12-07-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Clearly, the answer is a resounding 'no.'
It would seem so to me too, but since it's going to be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court, the answer might not be as clear as we think.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
See the SC ruling in favor of the Boy Scouts for insight into the potential decision:

"In today's majority opinion, written by Chief Justice William Rehnquist, the Court said the Boy Scouts' right to express their views against lesbians and gay men would be hampered if the organization was forced to admit openly gay people as leaders. The Court said that lesbians and gay people, if they are honest about their sexual orientation, make a statement in their very existence, and groups like the Boy Scouts therefore have a right to exclude them."

Sounds like the same ruling could indeed be applied to this Christian college group.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
If the Christian group is not under any tax exempt status or other special contract with any Government agency, they can do whatever they want.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
See the SC ruling in favor of the Boy Scouts for insight into the potential decision:

Sounds like the same ruling could indeed be applied to this Christian college group.
I think that's a pretty different case. This Christian group is on a public school campus and receives funding from the school - probably in the form of student fees that are paid by all students.

I can see them being allowed to exclude certain groups if they weren't taking the funding, but if they're going to take the money, they need to let everybody participate in their group.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Just like the Christian group has a right to exclude atheists and gays, another Christian group can spring up and accept atheists and gays just like a gay group can form and exclude Christians.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

"In today's majority opinion, written by Chief Justice William Rehnquist, the Court said the Boy Scouts' right to express their views against lesbians and gay men would be hampered if the organization was forced to admit openly gay people as leaders. The Court said that lesbians and gay people, if they are honest about their sexual orientation, make a statement in their very existence, and groups like the Boy Scouts therefore have a right to exclude them."

Very different issue. The Boys Scouts is a private organization. A public college is not. The legal reasoning in these two cases will be very different.

That said, I think the Courts will determine that it is legal for a student group at a public school (college or otherwise) to determine its own membership - even if it falls along the gender/sex/sexual orientation/race/religion line etc, etc, etc - provided that the institution allows for those excluded groups to set up and run their own organizations. I feel that's the correct decision, and that's why I voted "YES" in this poll.

I think this lawsuit is ridiculous. If some college has a Homophobic Christian Club, why would gays and atheists want to join it anyway? To me, this just seems like a self-righteous way to shut these homophobic Christians down - and I think that's pretty disgusting. Why not just start their own groups that reflects their values?

fyi, I'm a gay man.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 PM

968 posts, read 1,038,988 times
Corrected previous post. I meant to say I voted "YES" in the poll.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanboy33 View Post
I think this lawsuit is ridiculous. If some college has a Homophobic Christian Club, why would gays and atheists want to join it anyway?
At first glance, I thought the same thing, but there's a matter of principle involved. If one group is allowed to exclude gays and atheists, what's to stop another group from excluding any other category of people? A white fraternity could then openly say, "No blacks allowed". I'm not sure that most people want to return to a world like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies