Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm curious as well since the prosecutors, in my opinion, correct decision not to seek criminal proceedings doesn't preclude the injured party for gaining rightfully earned compensation through a civil action, which by the way is as much a part of the legal system as criminal proceedings.
I'm wondering if the complaints to the State about the chimp, and the state having been involved, would leave the state vulnerable to a civil proceeding............therefore, maybe some politics in the unwillingness of the state to pursue criminal charges?? Of course, I don't know what kinds of criminal charges would apply in this case.

Yes, people seem to forget that there is a civil court in the legal system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
To hell with all that. The woman was feeding the chimp XANAX for crissakes! She allowed the chimp to get loose. She should have never had it to begin with. I don't care what the law does or doesn't say. People in this country need to start using some GD common sense and realize that just because you CAN do something it doesn't mean you SHOULD. Her ridiculous and irresponsible actions destroyed someone's life and therefore she is a criminal in my book. Tap dance around it all you want.
I agree, but I must add this...if a friend of mine called me and said that her 200 pound adult chimp was acting up and giving her a hard time and could I come over and give her a hand, I would respond with a loud and emphatic "NO". The victim is in a large part responsible for her horrific ordeal.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
I'm wondering if the complaints to the State about the chimp, and the state having been involved, would leave the state vulnerable to a civil proceeding............therefore, maybe some politics in the unwillingness of the state to pursue criminal charges?? Of course, I don't know what kinds of criminal charges would apply in this case.

Yes, people seem to forget that there is a civil court in the legal system.
Apparently, there may in fact be some liability.

Quote:
The family of a Connecticut woman mauled and blinded by a chimpanzee sought Wednesday to sue the state for $150 million, saying officials failed to prevent the attack.

"There is a potential for a very significant exposure to the state, depending on how the facts are developed in the claims process,'' said state Sen. Andrew McDonald, D-Stamford.
Chimp-Attack Victim Seeks to Sue State of Connecticut

Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I agree, but I must add this...if a friend of mine called me and said that her 200 pound adult chimp was acting up and giving her a hard time and could I come over and give her a hand, I would respond with a loud and emphatic "NO". The victim is in a large part responsible for her horrific ordeal.

I NEVER heard of that. She was just visiting her friend. That is waht I heard.

At the end of the video she shows her face. It's horrific. I probably would have tried to kill myself already.
msnbc.com Video Player

Here's a small picture of her. But she's covering it up a little bit in this one.
State Won't Press Charges in Chimp Attack - ABC News

Old 12-07-2009, 06:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Be compassionate!

The friend is responsible for the disfigurement and needs to spend a year in prison and pay restitution to the victim. This is the most horrible ape accident I've ever heard about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I NEVER heard of that. She was just visiting her friend. That is waht I heard.

At the end of the video she shows her face. It's horrific. I probably would have tried to kill myself already.
msnbc.com Video Player

Here's a small picture of her. But she's covering it up a little bit in this one.
State Won't Press Charges in Chimp Attack - ABC News

Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Be compassionate!

The friend is responsible for the disfigurement and needs to spend a year in prison and pay restitution to the victim. This is the most horrible ape accident I've ever heard about.
Where was I not? I certainly would have tried to kill myself already. DId you see the picture? No hands, no ears and the face is completely gone.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
The state has nothing to do with this and should not be sued. The chimp owner needs to be liquidated and sent to prison, and all her assets turned over to the victim. The victim is also an idiot for having such a friend, but I guess severe stupidity shouldn't be punishable by disfigurement.

Then the state, and every state, needs to OUTLAW ALL EXOTIC ANIMALS. No exceptions. Dogs, cats, ferrets, birds, and farm animals should be allowed -- that's it.

Stupid, stupid people. It is truly frightening how many mentally ill people just amble around the rest of us, going about their daily business. The chimp owner SLEPT with her big old boy in the same bed. Hello????? Some strange hanky panky there. I've heard of going to great lengths for your man but this takes the cake.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
The state has nothing to do with this and should not be sued. The chimp owner needs to be liquidated and sent to prison, and all her assets turned over to the victim. The victim is also an idiot for having such a friend, but I guess severe stupidity shouldn't be punishable by disfigurement.

Then the state, and every state, needs to OUTLAW ALL EXOTIC ANIMALS. No exceptions. Dogs, cats, ferrets, birds, and farm animals should be allowed -- that's it.

Stupid, stupid people. It is truly frightening how many mentally ill people just amble around the rest of us, going about their daily business. The chimp owner SLEPT with her big old boy in the same bed. Hello????? Some strange hanky panky there. I've heard of going to great lengths for your man but this takes the cake.

Watch the video. They tell you why.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:01 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
The sleeping part, and also the part where she gives this thing xanax. I still cannot get over that. She should go to jail for that alone.

It's amazing that the other woman even survived the attack. Given the choice now she probably wishes she hadn't. I know without a doubt I could not live in such a state.

All because of one single, incredibly stupid person with no regard for anyone but herself.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Of course, I don't know what kinds of criminal charges would apply in this case.
BINGO!!!

I'm dying to know what statute of Connecticut's criminal code they think would be applicable before running around screaming how much jail time the owner should receive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies